• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I'd imagine there are already hundreds of cases throughout the UK. Likely to be thousands by next week if the R rate is 2, as has been reported.

Hopefully some doctors are testing whether the old NHS lateral flow tests can detect this Omicron variant too.

As if people with mild symptoms are receiving negative results at home then they won’t be getting a PCR and thus cannot be sequenced.

Hopefully some doctors are testing whether the old NHS lateral flow tests can detect this Omicron variant too.

As if people with mild symptoms are receiving negative results at home then they won’t be getting a PCR and thus cannot be sequenced.

Its still showing as Covid in test, but they have to do a different genomic sequencing to distinguish it. The Scottish medical officer said this morning that they are retesting old samples looking for something he called an S-gene drop. 16 November is the earliest they've found it so far.

Seriously they can't see the difference between mask wearing in a shop or transport and restaurants and pubs?

In pubs and restaurants you have to take your mask off to eat and drink. It's what you are there for. If you are going to be taking it off whats the point of having to wear it? It will make no difference whatsoever.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/29/call...covid-restrictions-15682150/?ito=newsnow-feed

The difference is old/vulnerable people still have to shop and travel, but they don't have to party. That's the reason for the distinction, more than the practicalities, I think.

Seriously they can't see the difference between mask wearing in a shop or transport and restaurants and pubs?

In pubs and restaurants you have to take your mask off to eat and drink. It's what you are there for. If you are going to be taking it off whats the point of having to wear it? It will make no difference whatsoever. How you going to police it?

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/29/call...covid-restrictions-15682150/?ito=newsnow-feed

It could just about work in restaurants, in that, as was the case before during the later partial restrictions, you don't wear it when at your table, but you do if you are moving around the restaurant. But it only works for pubs if you go back to table service only, which means limiting numbers, which impacts the business.
(Not suggesting it should be required in either).

It could just about work in restaurants, in that, as was the case before during the later partial restrictions, you don't wear it when at your table, but you do if you are moving around the restaurant. But it only works for pubs if you go back to table service only, which means limiting numbers, which impacts the business.

It's airborne. Especially delta and omicron. It's winter with doors and windows closed. People there for hours chatting. If one person in there has it, it will be floating all over. Wearing a mask to the toilet won't do much.

The original variant, in summer with good airflow. Probably help a bit. Not now.

Going back to limited tables in the hospitality area could kill it off especially if it's put in place just before Xmas
It just doesn't need to happen

Same with concerts, cinemas, sporting events. How do you start limiting capacities at already sold out events. After hanging on by a thread to survive, cinemas last month had their highest attendances in a decade, and really need to maintain that momentum to bring them back into the black.

I think you just have to let nervous people self-select out, and let the rest just get on with it.

It's airborne. Especially delta and omicron. It's winter with doors and windows closed. People there for hours chatting. If one person in there has it, it will be floating all over. Wearing a mask to the toilet won't do much.

The original variant, in summer with good airflow. Probably help a bit. Not now.

Agree, and the effectiveness of masks was debatable for the reasons you mention.
My point was more that masks could theoretically be introduced more practicably in a table-service restaurant setting without having to change any other criteria, but to do so in a pub, you would have to change other several criteria (standing, service from bar,) etc. so not quite so straightforward.

Same with concerts, cinemas, sporting events. How do you start limiting capacities at already sold out events. After hanging on by a thread to survive, cinemas last month had their highest attendances in a decade, and really need to maintain that momentum to bring them back into the black.

I think you just have to let nervous people self-select out, and let the rest just get on with it.
Yep 100% time for some self responsibility and life has to go on !!!

I just don't get the way Sturgeon and Drake think, are they intent in destroying every industry going and peoples lives !!!

Downing Street has rejected the calls from Scotland First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and Wales FM Mark Drakeford for the self-isolation period for travellers to be extended until the result of a test on day eight after arriving in the UK.

Extending the requirements would have a "detrimental effect" on the travel industry, No 10 said.

The spokesman added: "We believe that the approach we've taken is the proportionate one to the evidence that we currently have available about this variant.

"Introducing further isolation requirements and testing requirements would have a detrimental effect on the travel individually industry and indeed those who are planning to go travelling."

After a request from Sturgeon and Drakeford for a Cobra meeting involving all four nations of the UK, No 10 said there was not one scheduled.

The company I used to work for and my Mrs still does told their staff to work from home and don't go into the office unless they really have too !!
She is still going in as we struggle to both work efficiently in the same room

More now from Downing Street, where Boris Johnson's official spokesman has told journalists it is up to employers to decide on the "right balance" for them when it came to whether staff worked from home or the office.

On whether employers were still being encouraged to get people back into the office, the spokesman said: "Our position... has not altered from what it was previously. We [are] obviously keeping the evidence of this variant under review and we will take action if necessary, but currently we don't think there are any other changes required."

He added: "In line with the guidance, we've said that it is safe for people to return to work. It is up to individual employers to decide what is the right balance for [them]."

My team forced our way back in a year ago and fully intend to hang in there, no matter what happens. Two of us have threatened to resign if we are ever made to work another day from home.

My team forced our way back in a year ago and fully intend to hang in there, no matter what happens. Two of us have threatened to resign if we are ever made to work another day from home.
I do 2 days a week in London, my Mrs 2 days a week in the office meaning we're at home together on a Friday that is as much as we could both put up with

Had to re-arrange my booster tomorrow as have an interview for a new contract
Literally nothing where I live until mid-December (Chelmsford) but If I go to a centre 8 miles away they have loads over the next few weeks

So, according to Van Tam we are in danger of going down to 10 men. More worrying is the fact that we have Sven-Goran Eriksson in charge rather than Alex Ferguson.

I was going to get two more vaccines jabs to go with the three I already have, then four more jabs, and then a further two boosters.

But now I’m wondering whether is it best to go 4-4-2 jabs or 3-4-3 jabs or even a 4-3-2-1

(I'm not sure why he assumes at these press conferences that his audience all of have an IQ of less than 70.)

I do 2 days a week in London, my Mrs 2 days a week in the office meaning we're at home together on a Friday that is as much as we could both put up with

I found it an absolute nightmare. Like sitting in a coffin waiting to die. I have so much empathy for prisoners now - humans should never have to endure such conditions as the bleak isolation of homeworking.

Back