• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

It's a punt but it seems like the lesser of evils to me
Most importantly it's a punt that can be reversed very quickly.

If significant numbers of people with one vaccination start to test positive then they can redirect the doses being given to everyone else to those who have had one.

The figures were spiralling out of control from September. I think the impact of the new variant may be being overplayed. It suits the government’s agenda of having someone, or something, to blame other than themselves.

And it gives the PM a reason to tell the lunatics on the right of his party that it’s not right to open up yet.

So you think the new variant being more transmissable is just a hoax then? Of course it's convenient for them and they'll twist it to make out like it's solely down to that but the fact remains the variant being more transmissable is sadly real and backed up by all the scientists.

So you think the new variant being more transmissable is just a hoax then? Of course it's convenient for them and they'll twist it to make out like it's solely down to that but the fact remains the variant being more transmissable is sadly real and backed up by all the scientists.

I agree it certainly appears to spread more easily. My comments were referring to the announcement at the press conference on the day I posted that it is ‘more deadly.’ There is currently no certifiable scientific evidence to support this.

The announcement about more deadly stinks to me. Purely due to the facts that the experts say it is very difficult to ascertain whether it is leading to more deadly disease.

The reality is that this government need to find a way to detract from them igniting scientific advice to lockdown early and they want something else to blame.

This is an incredibly convenient framing of it.

couple of things from me:

1) the stats on it being more deadly as i understand it, were based on a tiny sample of over 60s. Hence why a lot of rejection of the stats as obviously you need a study across all age groups. However, given a lot of people are not paying attention to the rules, maybe you need to be slightly overdramatic to get people to listen

2) Tory MPs calling on a plan to get kids back to school is fudging laughable. You mean to tell me the party that won't feed starving children suddenly care about their education? They're more concerned about the economy opening back up, has fudge all to do with education of children.

2) Tory MPs calling on a plan to get kids back to school is fudging laughable. You mean to tell me the party that won't feed starving children suddenly care about their education? They're more concerned about the economy opening back up, has fudge all to do with education of children.
Does it matter what their concern is? Either way, kids have to get back into school.

There is a massive link between the two, wouldn't you agree?

Massively, and as Prof Devi Sridhar has consistently pointed out, the failures to get a hold of the pandemic like other countries have managed have continually caused the lockdowns, and the lateness to resolve the issues mean the lockdowns have to be more stringent and last longer.

It's really not that difficult, if you want a functioning economy during a pandemic, get test and trace working properly, quarentine arrivals etc. Neither the UK has managed. It's not a coincidence we have the worst record in GDP of developed nations off the back of this, it's cause and effect.

Good for them, seems quite a one sided fight from my neutral perspective.

I take it Patels privilege dates back to the Normans right?

Edit: I’ve just checked. Patels father ran a newsagent.

Err, a chain of newsagencies. Nice try, but no cigar. She must be like one of the terribly 'nice' middle class types you associated with back in the upper fourth.

Last edited:
Must say I'm getting seriously jealous every time I see my mates in Oz out in the sun, drinking away, cooking BBQs etc, I think we should follow a similar strategy and close the borders, use hotels as quarantine etc. I'd far rather a normal year minus the ability to go on holiday while everyones gets vaccinated and we see how long the vaccine lasts etc. Feel like I'm really struggling much more with lockdown this time around.

Feel like I'm really struggling much more with lockdown this time around.
Winter lockdown was always going to be awful compared to the last one in which there was loads of sunshine and hot weather
I spent most of last lockdown sitting in the garden drinking G & T's rather than stuck inside as it's freezing cold and raining

Winter lockdown was always going to be awful compared to the last one in which there was loads of sunshine and hot weather
I spent most of last lockdown sitting in the garden drinking G & T's rather than stuck inside as it's freezing cold and raining

Same, was a bit novel last time and sun immediately changes the mood. Could work outside and have BBQs most days - plus I had a young baby that slept all day now it's the opposite.

Just had enough of the whole lockdown lark - wanna be able to go out and meet up with mates whenever I fancy etc.

That was union action that stopped it. We have to assume people will work in the best interests of the country when planning - selfishness is a separate issue we will need to deal with.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

us English, doing things in our own best interest

Back