• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Do any of the senior GGers have memories of the 1968 Hong Kong Flu pandemic? As my parents don’t seem to recall much about it, even though though that pandemic apparently killed tens of thousands!

1-4 million apparently. I wasn't born then, but my dad says he suspected he caught it (wasnt tested). Didnt have the strength to move his head off the pillow, and was the only time he didn't go in to work because of sickness, quite a record as he retired at 74... thats immigrants for you... coming over here taking our jobs... making us look bad by not pulling sickies.

1-4 million apparently. I wasn't born then, but my dad says he suspected he caught it (wasnt tested). Didnt have the strength to move his head off the pillow, and was the only time he didn't go in to work because of sickness, quite a record as he retired at 74... thats immigrants for you... coming over here taking our jobs... making us look bad by not pulling sickies.

Did they have a new normal after that?

Ah this is easy. I’m no authority or anything, but letting a highly virulent and dangerous infection like covid could quickly spread through a community.

Far fetched as it might seem, an exponentially transmitted outbreak could see, in short order, medical services overwhelmed and a panicked society and then a panicked government playing catchup, restricting social contact sending the economy to hell in a handcart.

So perhaps locking a few soap dodgers away in comfortable quarantine could spare the rest of the population the discomfort and economic impact of such drastic measures.

Let’s hope it never happens anyway.
Exactly this.
One individuals choice is not more important than anyone else's, so when you make a decision that is very likely to severely affect others wellbeing you have to accept that the same principles apply back upon to you.

People mistake Liberty as being an individualistic thing - it's not, it's community based. So going to quarantine voluntarily is using your Liberty responsibly; refusing and making the Govt step in is a consequence needed to uphold someone else's liberty.

Ah this is easy. I’m no authority or anything, but letting a highly virulent and dangerous infection like covid could quickly spread through a community.

Far fetched as it might seem, an exponentially transmitted outbreak could see, in short order, medical services overwhelmed and a panicked society and then a panicked government playing catchup, restricting social contact sending the economy to hell in a handcart.

So perhaps locking a few soap dodgers away in comfortable quarantine could spare the rest of the population the discomfort and economic impact of such drastic measures.

Let’s hope it never happens anyway.

So the NZ government are not only kicking the Economy again they are telling residents they can’t be trusted to follow rules and stay in - considering there is a complete lockdown again and they didn’t have an issue with compliance last time?

@Gilzeantoscore 66 case in 1.4 million in the area is a handful.

My parents were student nurses (having just arrived in UK from West Indies and Ireland in 1966) but neither of them can remember the Hong Kong Flu, guess they were too busy partying to worry about such things judging by the medical students I used to know back when I was an undergrad!

I caught a dose of influenza during my first semester which left me (plus a couple of housemates) bedridden for several days, so can empathise and it certainly makes every cold virus I’ve ever had since seem like a walk in the park.

The Kansas City Chiefs plan to allow fans inside Arrowhead Stadium at 22% capacity when the 2020 NFL season begins.

The Chiefs, who won their first Super Bowl in 50 years in February, play the Houston Texans on 10 September.

Supporters will be required to wear face masks and will also be separated into grouped pods inside the stadium.

The Chicago Bears, however, announced that Soldier Field will be closed to fans when play kicks off.

In a statement the Bears said: "After discussing a draft plan with City health officials, the Bears and the City of Chicago agreed the health metrics show that it is not the right time to welcome fans back to Soldier Field."

The Kansas City Chiefs said the plans to accommodate fans during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic were made in conjunction with the NFL as well as Kansas City mayor Quinton Lucas

Say we agree that it was just old and economically useless folk who died - can we agree that due to the way the world reacted we had to impose a proper lockdown or no lockdown at all and the fact we did neither has effed us?

Meaning we can solely place this with Boris and Cummings et al in my opinion.
Yes, there should have been no lockdown (other than for those at serious risk).

The government got that one wrong, but a more stringent lockdown sooner would have been even worse.

A week after the return of Scottish schools, 1 in 4 new diagnosed covid cases in that country are reported to be in school children.

Nicola Sturgeon due to give an unscheduled briefing on this later today.

A week after the return of Scottish schools, 1 in 4 new diagnosed covid cases in that country are reported to be in school children.

Nicola Sturgeon due to give an unscheduled briefing on this later today.
This is not going to work, is it?

One way or another it has to.

so what are France etc doing that we are not?

why does this Just seem to just affect the U.K in Europe?

In schools or general?

In general we are making baby steps forward which is like slow death whee others seem to jump forward then jump back. It's like 6 of one, two 3s of the other.

I'm not a fan of the lockdown but those that are surely have to be applauding the slow slow extra cautious approach to returning to normality?

Last edited:
Yes, there should have been no lockdown (other than for those at serious risk).

The government got that one wrong, but a more stringent lockdown sooner would have been even worse.

The issue is then that they were completely indecisive and they are responsible for any economic issues that come of this.

The issue is then that they were completely indecisive and they are responsible for any economic issues that come of this.
Actually, I'd say they started with the correct response.

They moved to the wrong decision when the press and the public went into full retread mode over Professor fudgewit's Doomsday Machine and it's ridiculous predictions.

I can only think of one PM in living memory that would have had the nerve to stand up to that kind of pressure and hold her nerve.

They moved to the wrong decision when the press and the public went into full retread mode over Professor fudgewit's Doomsday Machine and it's ridiculous predictions.

I can only think of one PM in living memory that would have had the nerve to stand up to that kind of pressure and hold her nerve.
Maybot to the rescue?!

upload_2020-8-18_16-21-2.gif

In schools or general?

In general we are making baby steps forward which is like slow death whee others seem to jump forward then jump back. It's like 6 of one, two 3s of the other.

I'm not a fan of the lockdown but those that are surely have to be applauding the slow slow extra cautious approach to returning to normality?

maybe, but schools should have been back in sept and we still don’t have a proper plan

In other news and can add this to NZ and Australia

Attachments

• 1511F3F4-8CA4-4309-9585-ACBCFFC4A56E.png
    1511F3F4-8CA4-4309-9585-ACBCFFC4A56E.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Back