1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by markysimmo, 27 Feb 2020.

1. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Steve Hodge

What's the logic (or point?) behind locking down for 3 days?

2. Mikey10

Mikey10 Roman Pavlyuchenko

Yeah, it’s Hobson’s Choice really. Repeated widespread severe lockdowns to keep the virus at very low levels or a more relaxed approach, which leaves a large proportion of the population afraid to resume anything approaching normal life - with a huge knock-on effect on the economy.

Only good treatments or a vaccine can get us back to near normal. Thankfully there seems to be progress in both areas, but it’s going to be a very bumpy road for at least another six months or so, I reckon.

3. Mikey10

I don’t think it means three days. It’s to do with the severity of the lockdown.

4. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Milija Aleksic

Not sure, they only announced it half an hour ago plus we’ve been locked down in Melbourne for weeks now it seems, which is more the issue for me to deal with.

5. Legohamster

Legohamster Jimmy Neighbour

I have questions

how did it get into New Zealand as the border is closed except those returning home.

Does that mean that it’s been in the country for a while and quite a few people have shown no symptoms?

This will be interesting

@DTA

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....s-Two-separate-studies-dash-hopes-summer.html

There’s quite a bit out there - I’ve only linked this one as 2 studies.

6. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Steve Hodge

The BBC are reporting it as 3 days.

7. Mikey10

If it’s their health correspondent Hugh Pym then I’d ignore it. He makes the PM look competent.

8. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Steve Hodge

I think the reports are slightly misleading on the surface - the BBC has just referred to it as the first community transmission for 100 days, and from memory didn't they import a handful of cases from the UK a few weeks back (given some kind of compassionate exception from standard quarantine conditions, IIRC)?

Last edited: 11 Aug 2020
  9. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Steve Hodge

No it was the headlines, and their PM quotes 3 days in a snippet (though that could possibly be out of context I suppose).

10. elltrev

elltrev Niko Kranjcar

Interesting. Was Melbourne less locked down than the UK currently is? And/or could it be that UK's had a way bigger peak to begin with, so has more immunity?

11. Legohamster

In which case how many other cases has there been they don’t know about ?

Parklaner81 likes this.
  12. Gilzeantoscore

Gilzeantoscore Dean Austin

No, just Auckland.

13. awesome dawson

Since mid March Melbourne has been mainly in some form of lockdown but the most unrestricted few weeks saw us allowed to have guests at homes, pubs open albeit with ridiculous rules like having to order food, two hour windows to drink etc. I don't feel as if London had that strict a lockdown at all, pubs were shut in March, April etc but everybody is just moving around unchecked. Including at airports. Melbourne has had hotel quarantine for 14 days too for international arrivals.

14. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Tim Sherwood

if you have effective contact tracing then 3 days might even be overly cautious.

15. P.D.

P.D. Chris Armstrong

I'm guessing it's a bit like the common cold in that it can lay dormant for weeks or spread amongst people who are asymptomatic. I think Vietnam had the same thing.

16. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Nick Barmby

We were in a strict lockdown for two months maybe more

No none essential leaving house was strict and worked to kill the curve, the proof is in the facts there. 95% of all air travel cancelled by default and capacity in single figures on those landing means the "airport open" is grossly over played.

I don't agree with idea of strict lockdown but you can't argue that by doing so we didn't kill off the worse of spread.

17. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Nick Barmby

Delay in showing?

You can claim no case but have cases not showing for days which kills the data. CV then shows and by time you discover it in patient X it's already with Y and Z

That's my view

18. awesome dawson

I flew into Heathrow from Madrid on 20 March, waltzed right into central London without so much as a leaflet or poster about Covid in sight. I’ve read over 3 million passengers entered through airports in March. Hardly closed.

Parklaner81 likes this.
  19. Legohamster

But where did it come from, just a random 4 cases out of nowhere?

I wouldn’t be shocked if they did testing lots more will Have it.

20. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Nick Barmby

Well it was, March 23rd official lockdown. Was announced and as I say the reality is the lockdown assisted towards the numbers you see today.

I was stopped a dozen times going to Co-op or Waitrose in Croydon during lockdown, the essential leaving home only and 30 mins exercise was strict, London. Still is like a ghost town or was last week when I went to office.

The facts and stats are there, what are you suggesting ? The virus has a bias and a brain?