• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

People don't "wash their gloved hands" so it is better to not wear gloves and wash your hands, than wear gloves, apparently.

I think the government should have said "everyone going into a shop should wear a mask" so that most people would comply, but around here in the countryside it is more like 5%, mostly people over 60

Yeah those numbers sound right. There is little point 1 in 20 wearing a mask to reduce transmission so I’m just going to stay away and get us ready for round 2 and hope and pray it’s not catastrophic.

Iro gloves surely you wear them in areas of contact where the arse scratchers go and then bin them. But that’s for my own protection and everyone can make their own grown up choices for their own healths sake.

A country of fools. Lots of moaning about the govt but zero personal responsibility.

It’s what happens when the public are told that ‘our great national hibernation is coming to an end’, that it’s ‘time to get the bustle back’ and that ‘independence day’ is approaching.

Add in the ending of the daily briefings and any sense that we are still in the midst of a pandemic has completely gone for most.

Another object lesson in how not to manage a situation.

Parents in England who do not send their children back to school in September will face fines, says the Education Secretary Gavin Williamson.

"Unless there's a good reason for absence… we'd be imposing fines on families," he said.

But head teachers said fining parents was not the "right approach" at first.

"There will be many frightened and anxious parents out there," said Geoff Barton, leader of the ASCL head teachers' union.

Head teachers, who decide whether absences are authorised, are more likely to want to build up parents' trust in a safe return, said Mr Barton.

Mr Williamson, speaking on LBC, said penalty fines for non-attendance would be part of school being compulsory again next term, unless there were "good reasons" such as a local spike in infections.

"We do have to get back into compulsory education and obviously fines sit alongside as part of that," said England's education secretary.

Mr Williamson also indicated on Monday that the return to school in the autumn would not rely on social distancing.

"It's not about 1 metre, it's not about 2 metres," he told BBC Breakfast, saying that safety would be based on "reducing the number of transmission points" within schools.

This would mean whole classes becoming "bubbles" separated from other pupils - and he promised "comprehensive plans in terms of both testing and tracing."

That could mean local closures of schools or sending home individual year groups in response to Covid-19 infections.

During the return to school for some classes during the lockdown, attendance has been voluntary and fines have been suspended.

Under this voluntary arrangement, in primary school only about a third of Year 6 pupils are attending and a quarter of pupils in Year 1.

But all pupils are required to go back to school full-time in September - and the fines for unauthorised absence will also be applied.

Head teachers will decide if an absence is unauthorised - and this will be referred to local authorities, who can issue a fixed penalty notice of £60, rising to £120 if not paid within 21 days.

Head teachers rejected the idea of an immediate issuing of fines, suggesting a "period of grace" to build up trust over safety at the start of term.

"This is very much a case of building confidence that it is safe to return, rather than forcing the issue through the use of fines," said Mr Barton.

Robert Halfon, chair of the Education Select Committee, was also doubtful of imposing fines from the start of term.

He said some families would have "genuine fears" over safety, and rather than issuing fines, he proposed a compulsory attendance register to be operated by local authorities, who would regularly contact families to ask why children were not in school.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer backed the compulsory return to school in September.

"It absolutely should be the right thing that children are in school and everything should be done to get them into school," he said.

But Sir Keir accused the prime minister of "trying to blame everyone else" for why there were not more pupils in school already.

He uses a surgical mask in that experiment but he believes that the results would essentially be the same for an N95 or handmade cotton version.

Well when it comes to a cotton face covering and comparing the results to a n95 mask favourably he's talking out his arse.
I know very little about masks, but I know a lot about cotton, I work with it every day. Sometimes even in a medical/disease transmission situation and it's nigh on useless.
In a n95 mask there is a non woven membrane that stops 95% of airborne particles (hence the name).
Cotton is a woven fabric, the tightness of the weave is determined by the warp and weft and weight of the cotton. I would be surprised if most cotton would stop 10% of airborne particles.
We offered to make n95 masks 6 weeks ago but couldn't get the non woven, by weight it was literally more expensive than gold.

Matt Hanc.o.c.k doing the rounds this morning saying they are closing schools in Leicester as their is “a high incidence of the virus amongst children there” and they are “proving to be vectors for the disease.”

So, in short, the teaching unions were right.

Well when it comes to a cotton face covering and comparing the results to a n95 mask favourably he's talking out his arse.
I know very little about masks, but I know a lot about cotton, I work with it every day. Sometimes even in a medical/disease transmission situation and it's nigh on useless.
In a n95 mask there is a non woven membrane that stops 95% of airborne particles (hence the name).
Cotton is a woven fabric, the tightness of the weave is determined by the warp and weft and weight of the cotton. I would be surprised if most cotton would stop 10% of airborne particles.
We offered to make n95 masks 6 weeks ago but couldn't get the non woven, by weight it was literally more expensive than gold.

From what I understand the primary purpose of everyone being told to wear some sort of mask is reducing the spread of the droplets when people exhale / speak / sneeze which (in conjunction with distancing) should vastly reduce the chances of an infected individual spreading the virus.

Only in hospitals and such like where aerosols are present is something like N95 really necessary.

@glasgowspur

Those N95 masks are a clever bit of engineering though!

Great vids, I "knew" some of whys but almost none of the how's.
I have a mate who is a Prof of mico bio something or other, (and a Prof of electrical engineering) who is deeply involved in developing an aersol injection system for insulin, he described the surgical mask to me as a dog entering the Clyde tunnel. The gaps in the mask and the particle of the virus are a similar scale, that's why I asked what mask.
The thing is it's very difficult to get a n95 mask just now. But then you know that, it's in the videos.

Great vids, I "knew" some of whys but almost none of the how's.
I have a mate who is a Prof of mico bio something or other, (and a Prof of electrical engineering) who is deeply involved in developing an aersol injection system for insulin, he described the surgical mask to me as a dog entering the Clyde tunnel. The gaps in the mask and the particle of the virus are a similar scale, that's why I asked what mask.
The thing is it's very difficult to get a n95 mask just now. But then you know that, it's in the videos.
If the Clyde tunnel was lined with sticky dog biscuits

Back