• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Who said they criticised Cummings? I believe it was you who said Cummings breaking lockdown was legit. But now condemn these lot?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
I have a few issues with protesting, none of which are COVID-19 related. It's still a tiny risk and it still doesn't concern me.

Let's not be naive about this - you know full well the kind of people who go to protests. You'll also know that there's plenty there that would have been screaming anger about Cummings in their little echo chamber.

I can’t disagree with a cause that stands up to racism, but all life matters. The protests need to wait as mass gatherings are potentially putting so many lives at risk. On this, the Labour Party needs to stand alongside the government and discourage the protests.

The are degrees of wrong. He went and isolated so did not put the public at risk.

I agree it was a mistake for Cheltenham to go ahead, the protests are another Cheltenham. Which as i said earlier put black people at higher risk which is a sad irony.

But they have cool pictures for their Instagram.
At the risk of going over old ground, he moved while infected with the virus. That no one else was infected by his actions we will never know. But what he did was equally as irresponsible especially given he was partly responsible for the rules. It is hard to condemn one set of actions and not the other. This should not be a political matter.

Last edited:
Protests are all very well initially, but more than two and they start to lose their meaning.
And let's be honest they don't really change anything do they. Ask Jeremy corbyn, how many marches, led to biggest loss in how long.
How many of the protesters vote?
The biggest single weapon the ordinary person has goes unused a painful amount of times. Its very low in tge case of minorities.
If I was the organiser of the protest I would be telling them, vote, if you can give up a day of your life to march, you can give up an hour to vote.
Pick a party, not one the mainstream, the greens let's say, even if they don't get in when voter numbers rise significantly the major parties will start to listen to you.
100k on the streets is nothing as effective as 5k in a voting booth in a marginal.

Protests are all very well initially, but more than two and they start to lose their meaning.
And let's be honest they don't really change anything do they. Ask Jeremy corbyn, how many marches, led to biggest loss in how long.
How many of the protesters vote?
The biggest single weapon the ordinary person has goes unused a painful amount of times. Its very low in tge case of minorities.
If I was the organiser of the protest I would be telling them, vote, if you can give up a day of your life to march, you can give up an hour to vote.
Pick a party, not one the mainstream, the greens let's say, even if they don't get in when voter numbers rise significantly the major parties will start to listen to you.
100k on the streets is nothing as effective as 5k in a voting booth in a marginal.
Really good point mate. In addition you will probably do your cause more harm by alienating moderates who may have been sympathetic if you weren’t 1) breaking the law on mass gatherings 2) putting their lives at risk. They have just given the likes of Hanrooster, Cummings and Boris a massive boost when they should be held accountable for their appalling handling of this pandemic.

I have a few issues with protesting, none of which are COVID-19 related. It's still a tiny risk and it still doesn't concern me.

Let's not be naive about this - you know full well the kind of people who go to protests. You'll also know that there's plenty there that would have been screaming anger about Cummings in their little echo chamber.

You don't think the protesters are endangering anyone? What are the issues you have with them?

This was the problem with the Cummings indiscretion. It had to be condemned (pay a fine, apologise, move on) so the government can condemn others for breaking lockdown restrictions. Cummings' actions and insistence of innocence, indirectly, put other people's lives at risk.

Everybody on the government faction is scared brickless of a big enquiry in the autumn.
They are all getting the Cumming to write them an excuse strategy. He's making a small fortune.

In particular the reference to the common cold type immunity. If that's the case and immunity is higher than we could have guessed then we can hope there isn't another peak and things continue to settle.

Much of that taken from these two Unherd videos..........is interesting stuff

So many suspected asymptomatic people must lead back to somewhere?

Much of that taken from these two Unherd videos..........is interesting stuff

So many suspected asymptomatic people must lead back to somewhere?

Statisticians and epidemiologists are essential for providing data on trends that track the path of the virus but then they stray into areas such as preventing transmission where they are less experienced. This has been a real feature of this epidemic. It’s all very well arguing to “shield the vulnerable” and let the rest of the economy get on, how do you do that in practical terms? I am sure all the governments who have implemented lockdown have wrestled with the problem. Take care homes for example, easy to say shield them, but how? They need carers, cleaners, cooks etc. You have to shield them too? What about if something goes wrong in a shielders home? They need people to come and attend. How about the elderly who do not know how to shop on the Internet? Do they starve? I think the fact that most countries have used lockdown or have been able to test trace and isolate effectively or a combination suggests that these are effective at keeping the death rate down. Unless of course you are willing to sacrifice a lot of people.

You don't think the protesters are endangering anyone? What are the issues you have with them?

This was the problem with the Cummings indiscretion. It had to be condemned (pay a fine, apologise, move on) so the government can condemn others for breaking lockdown restrictions. Cummings' actions and insistence of innocence, indirectly, put other people's lives at risk.
My problems are that they inconvenience proper people trying to go about their day, for starters. They cost us all with an increase in policing and most of them are probably not going to be paying tax. They demean us all as humans with such sheep-like behaviour and they mask real, intelligent discourse on the subject they're campaigning for.

In this case, though my main issue is that plenty of them were making a huge fuss about Cummings risking nobody whatsoever and then risk thousands of people themselves (albeit a tiny risk). They don't get to have both.

My problems are that they inconvenience proper people trying to go about their day, for starters. They cost us all with an increase in policing and most of them are probably not going to be paying tax. They demean us all as humans with such sheep-like behaviour and they mask real, intelligent discourse on the subject they're campaigning for.

In this case, though my main issue is that plenty of them were making a huge fuss about Cummings risking nobody whatsoever and then risk thousands of people themselves (albeit a tiny risk). They don't get to have both.
"The demean us all as humans". LOL. Amazing line.

At the risk of going over old ground, he moved while infected with the virus. That no one else was infected by his actions we will never know. But what he did was equally as irresponsible especially given he was partly responsible for the rules. It is hard to condemn one set of actions and not the other. This should not be a political matter.

Well at worse he infected 2 other people he was isolating with. I agree lets not get political over this and those protesters might represent a wide range of parties. But they were putting a great deal more lives at risk.

Lets hope there now isolating themselves.

@scaramanga the protestors are wrong to break lockdown, but you still maintain Cummings wasn't?

I doubt any of them go on the march knowing they have the virus, or visit A&E, or hold positions of power advising the nation.

Double standards?

Of those up in arms, I wonder if any are under 40?

Big difference remaining in lockdown with your family and moving to ensure your families welfare and schelping up town to congregate in your thousands and in parts causing criminal damage.

It's a Sunday during a lockdown...oh the inconvenience!

'Sheep-like' defying lockdown laws to stand up? Ok then.

Don't buy the 'intelligent discourse' argument either. As with climate protesters, they raise the profile of an issue. If this was your in-group, would you disagree with "there comes a time when silence is betrayal" ?

I've seen none of these protesters talking about Cummings, they have a far more important issue to address. The Cummings hypocrisy is on this government not the protesters.

It's a Sunday during a lockdown...oh the inconvenience!
Parts of London are inaccessible to proper people, that's an inconvenience. It would be worse on a weekday, but I still won't support any protest that gets in people's way.

'Sheep-like' defying lockdown laws to stand up? Ok then.
Sheep-like as in standing in large groups of people all doing and saying the same thing. It's like a real world Twitter but with even fewer worthwhile words being spoken.

Acting like cattle and expecting people to listen as if you have something of value to say is more than a little retarded.

Don't buy the 'intelligent discourse' argument either. As with climate protesters, they raise the profile of an issue. If this was your in-group, would you disagree with "there comes a time when silence is betrayal" ?
If this were my group it would be done with articles, discussion, etc. Not by acting like cattle.

And I certainly wouldn't support a protest unless it was somewhere in the middle of nowhere out of the way of real people.

I've seen none of these protesters talking about Cummings, they have a far more important issue to address. The Cummings hypocrisy is on this government not the protesters.
If course you haven't as they're all out breaking the rules now.

I guarantee there's plenty there who were criticising him before they started seeing imaginary racism though. If you genuinely believe nobody there criticised Cummings when it was politically convenient then you're a fool.

Back