1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by markysimmo, 27 Feb 2020.

1. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

It’s getting worse isn’t it !!

2. Baleforce

Baleforce Fanny Walden

how long have you had it?

3. markysimmo

Hopefully never !!!

4. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Jonathan Woodgate

Making gold look like a wise investment.

I seriously hope at the end of all this the Chinese learn to stop eating bats and cover their mouths when they sneeze/cough.

5. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Steve Carr

And stop hawking up in public places. It seems to be mainly in the street but we sat in a restaurant one evening in Beijing and a diner at the next table was doing this onto the floor of the restaurant. No-one batted an eyelid. Him and his companion left, new people came in, sat down, ordered, ate, no problem at all that there was a pile of phlegm on the floor. Disgusting habit and can't be good for preventing transmission of airborne viruses.

6. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Steve Hodge

In my experience, there's still plenty in this country that have that lesson to learn.

Robbo, MKSpur and SpurMeUp like this.
  7. milo

milo Mel Hopkins Staff Member

Transmission will be mainly hand to mouth,eyes and nose. It is very unlikely to get airborne from a puddle on the floor. It is still disgusting manners though.

8. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Pedro Mendes

If you think of this logically im finding it difficult to see the difference between this and flu season. The symptom profile is similar and those at risk of dying are similar also. (ie immunosuppressed, old people). Some people even don't show symptoms and some mild symptoms.

This isn't ebola or Zika etc. we're not calling off multiple events or shutting down GHod knows what and let's not forget the 'lockdown' of hotels, boats, towns when flu's going round. Spread in the same way, makes you feel a bit brick and will kill you if you're weak. Flu's doing that every year, everywhere.:confused:

What is my logical thinking missing?

Some of the pictures on tele look like a setup from Chernobyl ffs

9. DTA

DTA Terry Fenwick

You think China will quarantine 15m+ people for flu?

Things I have read:

It's got a higher mortality rate than that of spanish Flu which killed 50-70million people in 1919 or there abouts.

Transmission rate is higher than flu but they are not sure how high exactly.

Healthy people including health worker have become seriously sick and in some cases died.

As it's new they are not sure how the new strains will behave or mutate.

Not in anyway an expert though so happy to be corrected on any of the above.

10. ShipOfTheseus

ShipOfTheseus Gudni Bergsson

You’re missing the much higher casualty rate than seasonal flu, the lack of a vaccine, and a few less significant factors such as recurrence in the apparently recovered.

Epidemiologists aren’t screaming about this because they like being on telly. China doesn’t shut down its manufacturing economy for grins. This is really quite serious and it’s going to have a massive economic impact, never mind the public health one.

DTA likes this.
  11. markysimmo

The Stock Market has taken a fudging battering the past few days

12. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover the prettiest spice girl

My gold is doing very nicely.

Bitcoin a little down but hope it will take off in the halvening this year.

13. DTA

DTA Terry Fenwick

Japan have shut all their schools from Monday.

14. 7percent

7percent Pascal Chimbonda

This seams so much bigger than SARS or Swine flu or bird flu or anything else. Have to wonder how long it will be before it dies down.

Tokyo Olympics have got to be under threat- Euro 2020 - Already six nations games cancelled - international travel being disrupted.

15. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Nayim

You are both correct and wrong. The death rate is about 10 times higher than the flu. The symptoms are similar to the flu, but the virus differs quite a lot from the flu, so our immune system does not "recognise" this virus. The young people dying from this virus, actually die from their own immune system reacting too much, and start killing normal cells. I'm not overly worried though, but today 1 person in my small town was put in quarantine today, so it's getting close. At this stage I think it's probably out of control. People travel so much these days, that it's impossible to contain and control it.

Mikey10 likes this.
  16. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Steve Hodge

Out of interest, do you know how the current death rate compares to the early stage of the swine flu outbreak? My guess/very hazy memory is that it's fairly similar?

17. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Nayim

I haven't seen any comparisons. It's also very difficult to measure correctly, because we really have no clue how many have been infected, as some have few or no symptoms at all. I just now heard some adjusted predictions on how deadly it is, and they now said it was just twice as serious as the flu.
    The reason it's taken so seriously, is that it is a new virus that no person has any immunity to, and they don't know how it might mutate and possibly become more deadly.

Grays_1890 and ricky2tricky4city like this.
  18. Robbo

Robbo Frederic Kanoute

The overall mortality rate is 2%, but it could be lower, as many people with light symptoms aren't registrered in the statistics. 80% of those infected only experience light flu symptoms. As with the flu, old and sick people are generally more vulnerable.

It's much more deadly than the flu though, spreads more easily and has a long incubation time, which makes the virus likely to affect more people and cause even more deaths worldwide.

And of course this is an unknown virus, so we don't really know how it will develop and how it affects people.

It is possibly the only thing that could potentially stop Liverpool from winning the PL though. (sorry)

19. monkeybarry

monkeybarry John Lacy

Agree mostly.
    Although I think the two main differences are the two week symptomless period of contagion and it is killing at just over over 3% at present, where flu is <2% (very quick figures I saw - happy to be corrected)

20. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Les Ferdinand

FWIW... about 3 times more deadly than swine flu but thankfully not nearly so bad as SARS or MERS

81E02B1F-4052-4B4D-BAC9-2229F38688EA.jpeg

Screen grab is from this YouTube video, which appears to be legit...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/coronavirus-graph-spreading-faster/

Last edited: 28 Feb 2020
    Spur of the moment likes this.