• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Computer Advice

Alaric

Erik Edman
I have been without a computer -except an Ipad - for 1-1.5 years and I am looking to get a new one before the season starts, so I can watch matches on NBC. I don't know much about them: which brands to buy/avoid as well as what in the way of processor speed, memory, RAM, graphics cards, etc that I should look for.

I am not crazy about laptops, because I hate typing on them and I was looking at the models where the computer is built into the monitor.

I will mostly need it for watching matches, emails, visiting g-g and watching stuff on YouTube. The few games I play are older (civilization, medieval total war) I don't do any online gaming, no Facebook, I don't do anything with music and don't make/edit videos. I obviously don't want to spend more than I need to, but I want to make that what I get will be good for viewing Spurs.

Any tips are appreciated.

I'm no expert but I'd have thought as long as its an Core i3 or better and you have a decent broadband speed you'll be fine for doing what you've listed above.

As I say, I'm no expert but I like Asus products, you could get this one for less than £500 if you allow for 10% off your first order.

As Gordinho said, an i3 should be the minimum. Whilst the iMac is a really good machine, it's rather expensive and for the use you're listing it's not really needed. You could get a more than powerfull enough pc for considrably less than the mac would cost. If you are going to play some games go for one with a dedicated graphics card, or if you're on a budget get a AMD apu as they've got a much more powerfull integrated gpu.

If you're going the AMD route get atleast a quad core, they aren't as good as the Intels core for core.

Yes, but when the only hardware choice you get is the more expensive stuff that drives the price up. I'm not saying that the mac is a bad coice, they're excellent. But if he's on a budget you can still get a more then good enough pc for much less than a imac would cost.

Don't get a mac, seriously there is no need to spend £950+ on a machine for the purposes you want to use it for.

I would recommend a company called Novatech. Cheap own brand machines and very good specs for the price.

Go for AMD processors if on a budget (people always tend to fall for the Intel is best marketing flimflam).

Remember an OS will cost around £90 alone and if your getting hardware like monitors etc thats another £100ish.

I reckon you can get the whole set for around £500.

Don't get a Mac cos it's more expensive they all say. I wonder how happy the OP is with his iPad? Because there's absolutely cheaper options than the iPad.

Too many people care about specs - it's got 16gb of RAM etc, brilliant...until you're being told every week to upgrade your Norton anti-virus. You buy a Mac because it's simple and it's going to work. Just like your iPad.

Don't get a Mac cos it's more expensive they all say. I wonder how happy the OP is with his iPad? Because there's absolutely cheaper options than the iPad.

Too many people care about specs - it's got 16gb of RAM etc, brilliant...until you're being told every week to upgrade your Norton anti-virus. You buy a Mac because it's simple and it's going to work. Just like your iPad.

+1

Bought a Mac mini in 2008 and it still holds its own as our desktop computer. I bet of any of you have 5 year old tower pcs they are slower than Dawes in mud

I get that you love your mac, I've got no problem with that. But he said that he didn't want to spend more than he had to. And no matter what you say, you can get a pc that will do what he want it to do for much less than the imac will cost.
But if he ends up going for the imac he won't be dissapointed, just accept that there are cheaper options out there.

+1

Bought a Mac mini in 2008 and it still holds its own as our desktop computer. I bet of any of you have 5 year old tower pcs they are slower than Dawes in mud

Ah yes, the mac users equivilent of "it's so expensive". If people would just read what they acctually install instead of pressing ok twenty times and complain afterwords, their pc wouldn't be so slow.

No teenagers yet, but I do have 20 customers each day in to complain because they got a email from some dude in Nigeria who wanted to give them 2 billion dollars. And somehow they didn't get their money...

For a start I have an Iphone and Ipad so am no Apple hater. Second I find it funny that Apple fanatics become so defensive over peoples advice that goes against their recommended/favorable product.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: This line did it for me "it's got 16gb of RAM etc, brilliant...until you're being told every week to upgrade your Norton anti-virus"

No offence fella but what a stupid remark.

Ah yes, the mac users equivilent of "it's so expensive". If people would just read what they acctually install instead of pressing ok twenty times and complain afterwords, their pc wouldn't be so slow.

This is so true. People use computers stupidly and then complain when they break. If a computer is playing up, it's because the user has done something stupid.

For a start I have an Iphone and Ipad so am no Apple hater. Second I find it funny that Apple fanatics become so defensive over peoples advice that goes against their recommended/favorable product.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: This line did it for me "it's got 16gb of RAM etc, brilliant...until you're being told every week to upgrade your Norton anti-virus"

No offence fella but what a stupid remark.

Why is it stupid, and where did I say you were an Apple hater?

I just don't know why anyone would persist with Windows. Absolute garbage.

Why is it stupid, and where did I say you were an Apple hater?

I just don't know why anyone would persist with Windows. Absolute garbage.

Well the mass majority of the market are on either one side of the fence or the other. You being a 'Mac' fan have shown your complete disliking to Windows in your last post. By stating I own both Apple and Microsoft products, both of which I use on a regular basis indicates I hold no bias in my opinion.

As for windows being garbage all I can do is conclude my thoughts with this emotion :rolleyes:

Since we are talking about desktops here Windows have 91.83% of the market while IoS has 7.2% based on July 2013 figures and your 'anti-virus' comment is stupid because Windows being the market leader (by a landslide) are the obvious target for hackers.

ah, the good old Apple versus Microsoft argument, this can only end well.

Here's how I see it.

Windows machines can be built to spec/price so better suited to the budget conscious or basic user. MACs are high end computers, just as iPads and iPhones are high end mobile devices, you get a better quality look and build but you pay for it.

As you are going to be a casual user I'd say a windows based machine would be suitable. You can get an ACER desktop Core i3 PC with Windows for about £300 link. The basic Mac Mini would be £499, although it is an i5 that's still nearly £200 more and for what you're doing you wouldn't need an i5.

Back