• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coentrao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumorn

Vic Buckingham
Surprised there hasnt been a thread on him yet. He seems to be brought up alot regarding a deal involving Gareth Bale. Would you be happy with him?

good going forward but not sure about him defensively

That's the issue I think. I see at Madrid he has played in a variety of positions from right back and even central midfield! Marcelo is brick defensively too yet Mourinho always preferred him at left back which is quite surprising as I always thought Coentrao was better going forward of the two.

......................Soldado................
...Chadli --->..................<--- ??...
...|.........Dembele.....Paulinho......|...
Coentrao.........Sandro..........Walker
...........Vertonghen......Kaboul.........
............................Lloris....................

Obviously what you have with that is a deadly finisher in Soldado. You have Chadli and the other wide man cutting in and causing problems with some of the full backs marking and our width being provided by the wing backs in Coentrao and Walker.. Vertonghen who has played left back covering Coentrao and Kaboul who has played right back covering Walker. You'd also have Dembele/Sandro/Paulinho providing a shield in the middle pretty much covering for when the centre halves are helping out the full backs.

It's actually a good system and I think we'd do very well but the right forward would need to be pretty damn good. I don't think Lennon would play there (although a great squad player for different systems), I think Townsend could work in cutting in etc. but I don't think he'd be good enough to start there and add double digits.

......................Soldado................
...Bale --->..................<--- Chadli...
...|.........Dembele.....Paulinho......|...
Coentrao.........Sandro..........Walker
...........Vertonghen......Kaboul.........
............................Lloris....................

Corrected.

Now we`re talking.

His versatility and youth would perhaps make him a better option than BAE but I would be sad to see him leave.

Not that I'm admitting defeat on the Bale situation but if he was happy to come to us and Bale is determined to leave he'd be a great addition to the squad. Coentrao, Rose as an understudy, Verts who can cover there and Fryers would be a terrific selection of LB's to have imo

I do not rate Coentrao. As has already been said I do not see him as a LB. I would still prefer to pay the 15m for Baines.

I do not rate Coentrao. As has already been said I do not see him as a LB. I would still prefer to pay the 15m for Baines.

Baines turned down United and Moyes, why would he come to Spurs?

I do rate Coentrao btw, matter of opinion I guess

I think the left backs and right backs focus on going forwards rather than defending these days. It's the defensive mid that's allowed for that. Quite efficient for an attacking team too.

If we signed Coentrao I could see us lining up like this.

........................................Lloris...................................

.....Kaboom........................Verts......................Chiriches...

Walker ...............................Sandro...................coentrao

........................Dembele................,...Paulinho.............

..........................................chadli...............................

........................................Soldado..............................

I agree but theme everyone thought he was 4-3-3 guy and he didn't play that last season

To me it makes no sense buying another centre back unless we plan on using more of them.

Makes less sense to play with no wingers when we have 4/5 players who could play there.

Makes less sense to play with no wingers when we have 4/5 players who could play there.

I think AVB does not want out and out wingers. He wants guys who can start out wide but drift in, add to the creation of the side and weigh in with some goals. Chadli fits that bill. So does Bale. Lennon not so much. As for Townsend, well he certainly likes to shoot more than Lennon and could go that way.

But getting back to Coentrao. I saw him play a lot for Benfica. As a left back he is Feisty, athletic and pretty fast. But at Benfica they played him a lot on the left wing. I would say he is a little dirty as well. He would be a good opposite player to Walker. But there will be occasions when he gets caught out of position.

Do we really have 4/5 wingers after Bale goes?

Townsend is a winger
Lennon is a winger

Chadli has been playing central for bother Belgium and Twente
Neither siggy or Dempsey are wingers. They can play wide I agree but there hardly wingers or effective there

Townsend is a winger
Lennon is a winger

Neither siggy or Dempsey are wingers. They can play wide I agree but there hardly wingers or effective there

imo the width will come from the full backs....i dont see AVB asking his attackers to provide traditional width, thats why i think both Lennon and Townsend will pretty soon be made redundant

Townsend is a winger
Lennon is a winger

'who could play there'

Dempsey and siggy were both highly effective on the left last season. add lennon/townsend and you're at 4. add bale who can also play on the left or the right and it's 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back