• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

For any climate change denier, just look at how the big 3 countries are desperately trying not to do anything about it. While convincing people they are.

The joke is, it's seen as a good thing to get to net zero by 2050 for most countries. That doesn't mean those countries are not putting out emissions. Just they are taking back in as much as they are putting out. With nothing about what they had already emitted.

Earth is already warming, with what we've already emitted. We are going to have another 29 years of emitting, before we stop emitting more than we withdraw? So the earth will warm faster over the next 3 decades?

Co2 stays up there for hundreds of years. Methane is more short lived.

I seriously think we're fudged.
Net zero is complete flimflam. It needs to be absolute zero, aside from a few exceptions - sustainable cattle, heritage railways and scout camp fires. But that's about the only legitimate uses

Expecting a country with a population of over 1 billion people that is reliant on coal for 70% of their energy to eliminate it or commit to whilst they're still developing wasn't particularly likely. Rightly or wrongly It's a bit of an arrogance of the west that other countries are expected to get to net zero on the same timeframe when they're clearly significantly less developed. Many areas don't even have running water or electricity so for those countries they likely have other priorities.

Didn't hear much talk of nuclear, surprised about that. Pretty efficient low carbon energy. Intrigued to see how the modular reactors fare, think they're still 10-20 years away (if they come at all) but good to see investment in it.

Expecting a country...to eliminate it or commit to whilst they're still developing ... same timeframe when they're clearly significantly less developed.
The advantage China have is that they don't have to worry about eco warriors super gluing themselves to roads and trees; if they want to dig a pit down to hell and harvest the heat, they will tell 300m people to dig it, or die trying. Or install wind turbines etc with no worry of complaint from the locals.

Bought a hybrid car. Tried to charge it yesterday for the first time. Total disaster. Tried 4 chargers, none worked. If you can charge at home - all good - otherwise there so much more infrastructure needed.

Bought a hybrid car. Tried to charge it yesterday for the first time. Total disaster. Tried 4 chargers, none worked. If you can charge at home - all good - otherwise there so much more infrastructure needed.
What did you get?

What did you get?

3 series touring . Its a heavy car (wallowy feel they all have) but it has a sport button which tightens things up. It combines the electric motor with the petrol one to provide decent torque. Its actually quite fast, but you feel the weight in the corners. Not a bad looking car, and it was the best family hybrid in the end. Benefit in kind via a company is 11%.

The way it uses the battery is interesting. Even if you're not plugging it in its using regenerative breaking and charging itself from the petrol engine. So when you're at low speeds you're on electric most of the time.

I thought maybe motoring journalists were biased and didn't want to welcome EVs and the stories of chargers not working might be overblown. Far from it, it is reality. Started with the lampost charger closest to me - cable wouldn't reach the point as another car was parked adjacent. Tried a Nissan garage that had a fast charger. Not working and they were closing too and locking up the charge points. A petrol station was supposed to have one, but it was removed. Kind guy pointed out the one accross on the road. It wouldn't take the card payment. Went to another on the street. Looked promising, paid fine, but didn't work either when it was plugged in. Maybe it was me, but so far no joy. I added to pollution looking for a charger. Things will get better, but it seems all too slow.

Last edited:
3 series touring . Its a heavy car (wallowy feel they all have) but it has a sport button which tightens things up. It combines the electric motor with the petrol one to provide decent torque. Its actually quite fast, but you feel the weight in the corners. Not a bad looking car, and it was the best family hybrid in the end. Benefit in kind via a company is 11%.

The way it uses the battery is interesting. Even if you're not plugging it in its using regenerative breaking and charging itself from the petrol engine. So when you're at low speeds you're on electric most of the time.

I thought maybe motoring journalists were biased and didn't want to welcome EVs and the stories of chargers not working might be overblown. Far from it, it is reality. Started with the lampost charger closest to me - cable wouldn't reach the point as another car was parked adjacent. Tried a Nissan garage that had a fast charger. Not working and they were closing too and locking up the charge points. A petrol station was supposed to have one, but it was removed. Kind guy pointed out the one accross on the road. It wouldn't take the card payment. Went to another on the street. Looked promising, paid fine, but didn't work either when it was plugged in. Maybe it was me, but so far no joy. I added to pollution looking for a charger. Things will get better, but it seems all too slow.
I know someone who recently bought an EQA who is having similar problems.

Charge point installation has been held up for weeks with bureaucratic back and forth with the installers. The govt grant doesn't get close to covering the cost of installation and getting one installed with a fuse board that isn't on an external wall is next to impossible.

Fast chargers in his area are almost non-existent, and he can't leave the car at a supermarket for 8 hours for a charge.

At this rate it's going to take a very long time for the extra expenditure over an equivalent diesel to pay off.

It's so varied, my parents who are in there 70s and generally a bit rubbish at that kind of thing have no problems find charging points. But they do tend to just do local journeys and the odd cross country visit to friends etc.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Fapatalk

Bit of achicken and egg situation at the moment. Companies won't want to install charging points if the are not many evs. People don't want to buy evs with few charging points. Government are giving it a nudge at the moment. May take while to get good coverage across the country though.

I know someone who recently bought an EQA who is having similar problems.

Charge point installation has been held up for weeks with bureaucratic back and forth with the installers. The govt grant doesn't get close to covering the cost of installation and getting one installed with a fuse board that isn't on an external wall is next to impossible.

Fast chargers in his area are almost non-existent, and he can't leave the car at a supermarket for 8 hours for a charge.

At this rate it's going to take a very long time for the extra expenditure over an equivalent diesel to pay off.

It is the sad truth. And it is going to get a lot more challenging as many more EV come on stream. There isn't the joined-up thinking from local and national government. To accelerate into EVs at the rate policymakers want - we need a concerted effort to bring through usable charging. At the moment, people are just using the tax breaks to run hybrid cars solely on petrol. A terrible waste.

Alternatively, we need to build a Hydrogen filling station infrastructure. At least then you know you can fill up.

It is the sad truth. And it is going to get a lot more challenging as many more EV come on stream. There isn't the joined-up thinking from local and national government. To accelerate into EVs at the rate policymakers want - we need a concerted effort to bring through usable charging. At the moment, people are just using the tax breaks to run hybrid cars solely on petrol. A terrible waste.

Alternatively, we need to build a Hydrogen filling station infrastructure. At least then you know you can fill up.

https://inews.co.uk/news/environmen...s-explained-new-ev-charging-points-uk-1258943

I think at the moment it's only really worth buying a plug in if you have a driveway and can install your own charger. In time I'm sure there will be a standard charger like phones.

I think at the moment it's only really worth buying a plug in if you have a driveway and can install your own charger. In time I'm sure there will be a standard charger like phones.

Europe i believe have a standardised charger. Plug and socket at least. I know in america they have different types, tesla have their own.

Don't even need a dedicated charger. How many of us need to full charge the cars every night?

Yeah you need to be able to charge at home or you'll be pulling your hair out. The charger I installed was just a 3 pin plug type (with an overload breaker) which I can use for plugging in other stuff. It charges slowly but as I leave it overnight it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I had planned to upgrade it to something faster but never did in the end. And as it turns out slow charging is good for the battery.

Don't even need a dedicated charger. How many of us need to full charge the cars every night?

The current draw is high and may burn out a standard plug. You might get away with a few times (I did) but it is a fire risk.

edit: sorry I misunderstood your post. A house charger is well worth the investment.

Last edited:
Back