• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

I'd stay away from ground source for price reasons. If you have a small garden then you are talking about about drilling down which is huge money. Air to water is much cheaper (but not cheap).

WIll it heat your house depends on how well insulated and airtight your house is. If the heat loss from the house is too much then the heat pump will be constantly struggling to compensate, and rather than the heat pump saving you money it would drive your electricity bills way up. New houses to current regs are suitable for this reason, and especially if they have underfloor heating which requires a low-temperature flow of water. If you get the setup right, very small heating bills. If a system is put in an unsuitable property then you'll regret it.

We took up a government grant about 15 years ago to have the loft properly insulated plus the 2 of the 3 cavity walls (semi-detached house) filled with beads but we’ve got a tile fronted property so they couldn’t do anything with that wall without major renovations.

House certainly feels toastier most winters and replacing the old boiler with a combi has reduced our gas usage by about 30% but when that Beast From The East hit the radiators had to be on full pelt to keep those bedrooms at the front of the house warm.

Judging by this video I stumbled across, sounds like I’d need to invest in underfloor heating downstairs plus get some appropriate insulation fitted behind the front wall tiling in order to make an air source heat pump viable for my home.

We took up a government grant about 15 years ago to have the loft properly insulated plus the 2 of the 3 cavity walls (semi-detached house) filled with beads but we’ve got a tile fronted property so they couldn’t do anything with that wall without major renovations.

House certainly feels toastier most winters and replacing the old boiler with a combi has reduced our gas usage by about 30% but when that hunk of burning love From The East hit the radiators had to be on full pelt to keep those bedrooms at the front of the house warm.

Judging by this video I stumbled across, sounds like I’d need to invest in underfloor heating downstairs plus get some appropriate insulation fitted behind the front wall tiling in order to make an air source heat pump viable for my home.

All those upgrades are good. With insulation, more is always better, obviously. Regs over here are 400mm of the wool type insulation in the attic. It is the easiest upgrade so depending on what you have a top-up might be needed. And importantly don't squash it with bags etc or worse laying a floor on it! You squash it, you don't have it.

For the front wall it sounds like drylining is really the only way you can go, if you wish to retain the tiled front. Yes it is very messy, all plastering is, but depending on what is on that wall (e.g. rads, wardrobes) it may not be a massive job. You also have to consider the quality of the windows especially if you have a lot of them. They are usually the weak point in your insulation envelope. If your windows are not good then replacing them (or just the glass units in them) at the same time as the drylining will minimize the disruption.

Retrofitting underfloor heating is a big job. You don't necessarily need it for heat pumps. Rads do work but as the water temp is lower you may need to increase their size. You'll need a calculation done on the current output.

If you want specifics on any of this stuff then DM me. Glad to help.

This whole thing is just a fudged up joke from beginning to end.
Diesel generators at gleneagles to charge the electric vehicles for the big wigs, grid lock around the city because of road closures, rail strikes, museums closed (supposedly to cut down on traffic, but bet your life the big wigs get guided tours).
These are nothing more than mid term breaks for the muppet politicians.
Although why they'd want to come to glasgow is beyond me.

This whole thing is just a fudged up joke from beginning to end.
Diesel generators at gleneagles to charge the electric vehicles for the big wigs, grid lock around the city because of road closures, rail strikes, museums closed (supposedly to cut down on traffic, but bet your life the big wigs get guided tours).
These are nothing more than mid term breaks for the muppet politicians.
Although why they'd want to come to glasgow is beyond me.

Whenever anyone says big wigs I always think of people walking around with Amy Winehouse hair do's and am always disappointed when it turns out to be a bunch bald old blokes.

Saw lord saviour Greta on the news smiling away singing her song. Don't get it I thought she thought the environment was serious and the she is smiling and laughing.

Evil little thing she is

Saw lord saviour Greta on the news smiling away singing her song. Don't get it I thought she thought the environment was serious and the she is smiling and laughing.

Evil little thing she is

Chich come on, I think in the great scheme of things when it comes to the climate change clusterfcuk, she's far from the one who deserves to be picked on. Australia, Russia, China all failing to agree to cutting methane, when it's widely regarded as one of the easiest ways to reduce emissions are the ones who should be attacked.

Chich come on, I think in the great scheme of things when it comes to the climate change clusterfcuk, she's far from the one who deserves to be picked on. Australia, Russia, China all failing to agree to cutting methane, when it's widely regarded as one of the easiest ways to reduce emissions are the ones who should be attacked.

Agree on those countries.

I just do not get hero worshipping anyone.

Big media though here so we are a good platform and unlike China or Russia they wont be shot for protesting.

Saw on the news the reporter ask Johnson how he expected China and India to take him seriously when he is thinking about opening a new coal power plant.

Firstly I can not imagine anyone ever taking Johnson seriously and secondly when has a British prime minister ever influenced any major country ever?

The yanks only came into the second world war because of pearl harbour and I can not think of any major influences since then either.

Johnson is a joke and the UK is insignificant. I am OK and happy with the second bit. Johnson being prime minister does bother me.

Saw on the news the reporter ask Johnson how he expected China and India to take him seriously when he is thinking about opening a new coal power plant.

Firstly I can not imagine anyone ever taking Johnson seriously and secondly when has a British prime minister ever influenced any major country ever?

The yanks only came into the second world war because of pearl harbour and I can not think of any major influences since then either.

Johnson is a joke and the UK is insignificant. I am OK and happy with the second bit. Johnson being prime minister does bother me.

We're not opening a coal power power plant as far as i'm aware. It's a coal mine.

People are idiots, we can't switch from fossil fuels to clean energy overnight. Especially poorer countries. It's going to take another 20-30 years. In the mean time countries will need fossil fuels to keep the power going. Or are they willing to see an unprecedented humanitarian crisis?

Do i hope it moves faster? Yes. And it may, but it won't be because of governments. It will be because renewables (including storage) become the cheaper alternative. Which they are becoming. Private companies aren't investing much in fossil fuel finds, this will lead to them becoming more expensive (as we've seen recently). Already the us has seen it's coal industry collapse, the fracking industry is on it's knees. Ev's are starting to take off big time. Especially with businesses buying fleets. Hertz just ordered 100,000 teslas. Amazon and the royal mail are replacing their vehichles with arrival (uk car maker). So the oil industry will come under more pressure.

Back