• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

It is also a bad investment that is only of benefit in the short term to a small number of people. Politically and ethically it is a massive own goal too.
I'm sure the numbers have been tested. If it's not economically viable we wouldn't be doing it.

I'm sure the numbers have been tested. If it's not economically viable we wouldn't be doing it.
Maybe but I would not have the same faith that you have that a local council is not putting a short-term win over a smart long-term investment. Investing in the carbon bubble is not where the money is going, quite the opposite, not to mention the fact that the EU is moving away from fossil fuels at a pace so who knows how long that market will exist.

Maybe but I would not have the same faith that you have that a local council is not putting a short-term win over a smart long-term investment. Investing in the carbon bubble is not where the money is going, quite the opposite, not to mention the fact that the EU is moving away from fossil fuels at a pace so who knows how long that market will exist.
Given the lead time required to move away from fossil fuels, I think we can be fairly sure of various countries' timelines when it comes to that.

Battery technology at that scale is (if ever) at least 10 years off and there's no quick way to build a nuclear power plant.

Given the lead time required to move away from fossil fuels, I think we can be fairly sure of various countries' timelines when it comes to that.

Battery technology at that scale is (if ever) at least 10 years off and there's no quick way to build a nuclear power plant.

We’ve removed all of that silly regulation now, we can just start a pile whenever we like, if we don’t shield it we can use it to heat peoples homes locally too.

We’ve removed all of that silly regulation now, we can just start a pile whenever we like, if we don’t shield it we can use it to heat peoples homes locally too.
Talking of silly regulation:

We had confirmation yesterday from various trade bodies that the UK goctnwere taking the sensible line on the chemicals the EU wanted to ban. Anyone can import and use them, we just have to follow the MSDS recommendations as we already were.

Talking of silly regulation:

We had confirmation yesterday from various trade bodies that the UK goctnwere taking the sensible line on the chemicals the EU wanted to ban. Anyone can import and use them, we just have to follow the MSDS recommendations as we already were.

That’s a win for you then.

Any issues of divergence between your facilities, you have one on mainland Europe too right?

That’s a win for you then.

Any issues of divergence between your facilities, you have one on mainland Europe too right?
No, similar but different processes. CZ site only exports to Europe anyway, so if they did do more of the form of product we do then they'd just have to do everything at the EU standard.

Feeling the strength of the sun today, plus all the reports of a warmer climate - on average nations mercery is getting hotter - and we need to take faster action there is no doubt. We don't really know whether cutting emission will have an instant effect - probably won't - and we don't know whether it is reversible; or how complex atmospheric chemistry works in detail. But we have to give it a go. Warming the planet further can not be good.

At least Biden is in power, we need global political and popular backing to clean up fast.

This is a decent report, and I commend him for it. However, the media has a problem in general in reporting on climate change. It is most obvious when they are reporting about extreme weather events. The boiling frog analogy is strangely apt. The overwhelming majority of weather-related disaster reporting never ties the events to climate change, which still surprises me even though I know the reason why they don't all too well.
This has to change fast or it's boiled frogs all around.

This is a decent report, and I commend him for it. However, the media has a problem in general in reporting on climate change. It is most obvious when they are reporting about extreme weather events. The boiling frog analogy is strangely apt. The overwhelming majority of weather-related disaster reporting never ties the events to climate change, which still surprises me even though I know the reason why they don't all too well.
This has to change fast or it's boiled frogs all around.
Not sure I agree with that? Almost every weather event in the last couple of years has been attributed to global warming by the media that I’ve read.

edit: not suggesting that’s wrong, just commenting on my experience.

Not sure I agree with that? Almost every weather event in the last couple of years has been attributed to global warming by the media that I’ve read.

edit: not suggesting that’s wrong, just commenting on my experience.
Well that is good that you see that. That someone might associate these events with climate change in their mind is one thing (not saying that is the case with your good self) but it's statistically not the trend that they mention it, unfortunately. I'll dig out those stats if you like but trust me it is a thing that is talked about in climate circles.

Well that is good that you see that. That someone might associate these events with climate change in their mind is one thing (not saying that is the case with your good self) but it's statistically not the trend that they mention it, unfortunately. I'll dig out those stats if you like but trust me it is a thing that is talked about in climate circles.

More or less every article about extreme weather in the last few years has mentioned climate change.

More or less every article about extreme weather in the last few years has mentioned climate change.
It's certainly trending that way now. It's inescapable at the point but for years it was a hot topic (no pun intended) in climate circles and podcasts that it was barely mentioned. I could dig stats up about it but instead I'm going for a swim. Maybe later.

Back