• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

This is good. Credit to Boris where it is due. I could nitpick on parts of it but that would be churlish of me as the general thrust of it is good. The UK is doing well on this front compared to most but the targets definitely needed a revamp. Let's see what becomes policy.

Interesting how the different papers provide details of it, the anti Tory Guardian for instance has

A previously announced pledge to quadruple offshore wind power by 2030, to 40GW, enough to power every UK home

£1bn next year for funds to insulate homes and public buildings, using the existing green homes grant and public sector decarbonisation scheme.

No mention of the 60,000 jobs for offshore wind, 50,000 for insulating homes or the 600,000 heat pump target. Makes it so hard to actually distinguish what's happening in the world, I have to read 3 or 4 sources for most things now just to get the full range of information.

Interesting how the different papers provide details of it, the anti Tory Guardian for instance has

No mention of the 60,000 jobs for offshore wind, 50,000 for insulating homes or the 600,000 heat pump target. Makes it so hard to actually distinguish what's happening in the world, I have to read 3 or 4 sources for most things now just to get the full range of information.
I think that article you quote in the Guardian is an old one so maybe the full details weren't known.

I feel much better for having read that. It turns out that diet and lack of exercise have no effect whatsoever on mortality.

That's almost as bad as the COVID-related death numbers professor fudgenuckle keeps putting out.

You said you wouldn't use my pet name in public.

I'm not in the UK but it looks good.

Interesting to see how much C02 is in your electricity each day. Even if you pay a premium for renewable electricity, it doesn't affect the electrons going into your home and how they are generated.

On low wind days, there is too much gas being burned, especially in the southeast. The government has banned combustion engines from 2030 but we don't have a good enough renewable infrastructure. If you're charging your car using non-renewable electricity there is quite a significant carbon footprint still.

Could homes have more solar or even turbines? Electricity doesn't travel well, the more local the energy source the less waste.

Interesting to see how much C02 is in your electricity each day. Even if you pay a premium for renewable electricity, it doesn't affect the electrons going into your home and how they are generated.

On low wind days, there is too much gas being burned, especially in the southeast. The government has banned combustion engines from 2030 but we don't have a good enough renewable infrastructure. If you're charging your car using non-renewable electricity there is quite a significant carbon footprint still.

Could homes have more solar or even turbines? Electricity doesn't travel well, the more local the energy source the less waste.

Don't forget the emissions from battery production - https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...te-oil-electric-vehicles-dirty-secret-lithium

It is interesting. Very easy to be cynical about it all. As at first, there isn't a massive carbon saving. Making do and mending even old cars is probably similar in emissions over a year or two to building a new electric car. Also people's habits leasing cars - taking a new car every year - is not carbon conscious. But things will become more efficient. Until we make that break from burning dead sea creatures, the new technologies won't evolve. So we have to embrace it. I will keep my classic cars as a fun, once in a while thing and no doubt be driving an electric or hybrid car like everyone else. Silent clean motoring is for sure a good thing!

There is also talk of new clean synthesised fuels. So a lot of changes to come over the next couple of decades.

Last edited:
It is interesting. Very easy to be cynical about it all. As at first, there isn't a massive carbon saving. Making do and mending even old cars is probably similar in emissions over a year or two to building a new electric car. Also people's habits leasing cars - taking a new car every year - is not carbon conscious. But things will become more efficient. Until we make that break from burning dead sea creatures, the new technologies won't evolve. So we have to embrace it. I will keep my classic cars as a fun, once in a while thing and no doubt be driving an electric or hybrid car like everyone else. Silent clean motoring is for sure a good thing!

There is also talk of new clean synthesised fuels. So a lot of changes to come over the next couple of decades.
Silent motoring is absolutely not a good thing.

Silent motoring is absolutely not a good thing.

Idk, Bently, Rolls Royce etc spend oodles of money, making cars as silent and refined as possible. Electric cars achieve that out the box. In town, when not motoring for fun, it is a posistive. You can keep a fun ICE car with lots of silly noises to entertain on the weekend.

Idk, Bently, Rolls Royce etc spend oodles of money, making cars as silent and refined as possible. Electric cars achieve that out the box. In town, when not motoring for fun, it is a posistive. You can keep a fun ICE car with lots of silly noises to entertain on the weekend.
They're silent and refined until you press the fun pedal and the V(/W)12 does its thing.

They're silent and refined until you press the fun pedal and the V(/W)12 does its thing.

Yes. Heard someone comparing it to watches. Quartz watches came out what in the 80s or 90s? But mechanical watches are still highly sought after now. So while ICE cars will become the steam engines of tomorrow, in the short term I can see them being collectable and desirable still.

Yes. Heard someone comparing it to watches. Quartz watches came out what in the 80s or 90s? But mechanical watches are still highly sought after now. So while ICE cars will become the steam engines of tomorrow, in the short term I can see them being collectable and desirable still.
The higher end ones, I'm sure.

Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, Rolls, Aston, certainly. Possibly the likes of Porsche and Maserati too, although they're becoming quite commonplace.

Not sure what will happen with the smaller companies, as their ability to produce parts will diminish with time.

Silent motoring can be dangerous, I've gone to cross a road before and barely noticed an electric car approaching. When they become more prevalent I can see this becoming a common occurrence.

Silent motoring can be dangerous, I've gone to cross a road before and barely noticed an electric car approaching. When they become more prevalent I can see this becoming a common occurrence.
There is a switch in most electric cars to turn on an artificial noise. Similar sound to a heat seeking missile.

Last edited:
Back