• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

We are already there, aren't we? Or Prime Minister is no longer spending money supporting coal extraction. People on here are suggesting electric vehicles etc.
Suggesting, but still not entirely bought into the idea.

The only people who seem to dislike my car are militant cyclists who insist on taking up more width than their handlebars. Most others are not car people or appreciative. That's a long way from a societal shift that changes behaviour. Most people still think solar panels on roofs are ugly - again, no change yet that will change behaviour on a large scale.

Suggesting, but still not entirely bought into the idea.

The only people who seem to dislike my car are militant cyclists who insist on taking up more width than their handlebars. Most others are not car people or appreciative. That's a long way from a societal shift that changes behaviour. Most people still think solar panels on roofs are ugly - again, no change yet that will change behaviour on a large scale.

So you're a follower not a leader :)

I'm a car fan. I won't continue driving a car that gets egged every day.

I would struggle with an electric car. There isn't anywhere to plug in at home, and being honest I haven't seen one I want (but have a list of petrol cars I'd love to try!). I've never bought a new car before, and don't do many miles so I'd probably do more harm to the environment getting a new electric car now, rather than using my two old petrol cars occasionally.

The other thing is flying. More of an issue than cars. Travelling by train is awesome, but hardly practical to a lot of destinations.

Offsetting carbon seems like a bit of a copout. Better than nothing I guess? Should governments be investing in faster and more extensive train networks?

Last edited:
I would struggle with an electric car. There isn't anywhere to plug in at home, and being honest I haven't seen one I want (but have a list of petrol cars I'd love to try!). I've never bought a new car before, and don't do many miles so I'd probably do more harm to the environment getting a new electric car now, rather than using my two old petrol cars occasionally.

The other thing is flying. More of an issue than cars. Travelling by train is awesome, but hardly practical to a lot of destinations.

Offsetting carbon seems like a bit of a copout. Better than nothing I guess? Should governments be investing in faster and more extensive train networks?
No, trains are ghastly.

They don't leave from where you are, nor do they stop where you're going. They continually stop for other people - that's if the communists who run them can be bothered to earn their massively overpaid living and run them in the first place. They can't divert or make unscheduled stops if you need them to.

Worst of all though is that they're full of people. Usually the worst kind of people. Except for bus people obviously, they're worse.

No, trains are ghastly.

They don't leave from where you are, nor do they stop where you're going. They continually stop for other people - that's if the communists who run them can be bothered to earn their massively overpaid living and run them in the first place. They can't divert or make unscheduled stops if you need them to.

Worst of all though is that they're full of people. Usually the worst kind of people. Except for bus people obviously, they're worse.

If you'd ever caught the train regularly you'd know they're full of the best kind of people. The worst kind are usually pricks driving luxury/sports cars, which you actually demonstrate nicely.

No, trains are ghastly.

Bus people :) btw can you give us some more expressive emojis?

Trains are fantastic! I traveled to Africa and back on them. Sometimes you even meet people. On that trans-continental journey met an American chick who followed us around, and have met countless other interesting people - though rarely hot women to be fair. but zero chance in a car. Trains are also faster and you can do other things. Taxis, bikes, even your own underused legs provide transportation at the other end.

This is biased. He can't help it. Even trying to be balanced, the truth is he loves petrol-powered machinery. But he gives an insight into EVs never the less.

The government should pass some EV laws. If you have to buy a new SUV - it has to be electric from 2022. And Nationalise UK charging points right away. Or impose a unified national company ontop of the different chargers that allows you to use one charging card only. Make charging simple.

What are the best electric cars then? If you had to have one tomorrow what would it be?

Trains are fantastic! I traveled to Africa and back on them. Sometimes you even meet people. On that trans-continental journey met an American chick who followed us around, and have met countless other interesting people - though rarely hot women to be fair. but zero chance in a car. Trains are also faster and you can do other things. Taxis, bikes, even your own underused legs provide transportation at the other end.

This is biased. He can't help it. Even trying to be balanced, the truth is he loves petrol-powered machinery. But he gives an insight into EVs never the less.

The government should pass some EV laws. If you have to buy a new SUV - it has to be electric from 2022. And Nationalise UK charging points right away. Or impose a unified national company ontop of the different chargers that allows you to use one charging card only. Make charging simple.

What are the best electric cars then? If you had to have one tomorrow what would it be?
If I had to have one it would be the i-Pace - it's the first EV I've seen that doesn't try to be some kind of sci-fi nonsense and is just designed like a real car.

None of them are right though. Nobody has worked out how to balance an EV properly and the drive is just all wrong. Having driven an i-Pace and a Model S, there's still not enough driver involvement. There's too much weight to feel what's happening at the wheels, the power delivery isn't nuanced enough and the braking is binary (I assume that's down to energy recovery). Currently they're fast from a start and decent motorway cruisers but they're not driver's cars - the powerful ones are all 4WD for starters. I haven't driven the Porsche yet, but people have high hopes for it. Unfortunately it means buying a Porsche, which is the weapon of choice for people who don't really know much about cars who've suddenly come into some money.

I'll happily buy an EV once driving an EV is as fun as a powerful, RWD ICE. It's clearly possible - see McLaren and F1 hybrids, it's just not where the market is. Currently they're aiming EVs at people who don't really care about cars.

It’s the weight thing. Any Lotus or Colin Chapman fan knows, lower mass is what makes cars agile.

The Taycan does a decent job of hiding it’s weight. I’m also not a fan of new Porsche’s. Too big, they lack soul or character somehow. That ipace does nothing for me either. 87k and it’s got no appeal whatsoever. At least a Tesla is fresh with some style. I dislike SUVs (with the exception of Range Rovers).

With the massive issue of EV chargers - how can you provide enough to service Xmillion cars? - plus the issue of weight...I really think hydrogen or an alternative could overtake EVs. Furthermore the metals needed for the batteries are not exactly environmental to mine.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Low emission DP

Edit: may as well recycle this post.

The Taycan is undoubtedly the best EV. Different voltage to other EV saving weight, charging faster, and reduces over heating. Should imagine other manufacturers will follow 800volt setup. It’s look okay to me, far more attractive than the panamara. 4 seats, decent boot, decent range, setup for driving with good steering and break feel, minimal body roll. What’s not to love?

Well I can’t charge it at home and I would prefer to spend 100k on all manner of other things! Even 40k seems a lot for a car. Some awesome cars around for 40k hard to shell out so much for what is the best EV.

Last edited:

Just had a watch of that video. I'm not sure what world he lives in where motorway speed can be kept to 70mph and there's no hard accelerating in London.

I'm still waiting for a real world test of an EV where people do real world stuff like 90+ on the motorway, full bore starts to jump queues in London, etc.

Way I see it, we were polluting before they were, so we have to lead the way. Then put massive amounts of pressure on them.
Dream on, nothing will change, the people who make things happen are happy with things in their lifetime and will let the little people try and sort it out as long as there's business as usual. We can't put pressure on the EU yet you think we can put the squeeze on China, India and Russia?

Dream on, nothing will change, the people who make things happen are happy with things in their lifetime and will let the little people try and sort it out as long as there's business as usual. We can't put pressure on the EU yet you think we can put the squeeze on China, India and Russia?

The EU and US can yes. As well as people power.

What's the point if Brazil, China, India and Russia continue the belt out as much pollution as they can?

Its a bit like saying i can be a pervert because other people are. Makes no sense. China for a start are investing more in renewable than any other country.

Back