• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

It might be the minority that think that way but it's enough to create a drag on societal changes.

I give a fudge, but not enough to not buy a V8. If society deems that completely unacceptable them I'll have to run the clams over change my behaviour. There's plenty of people for whom man-made climate change isn't a binary answer. People like those creating that chart leave enough doubt in the minds of enough people that we can't fix it.
If you'll only change because society forced you then you don't really give a fudge.

If you'll only change because society forced you then you don't really give a fudge.
I give plenty. I'm also very mindful of how much actual difference I can make as an individual.

That difference is tiny, and less valuable than the pretty sound my car makes.

So you have much more than an individual responsibility, but something tells me you don't see it that way... This is the concern.
My legal and moral responsibility as a director is to maximise shareholder value and nothing else.

Often tofu muncher goals and my company's goals align - such as solar panels on the roof. In an energy.intensive business like mine, a few £00k as an investment pays back in no time.

Much of the time though, it just doesn't suit. It would be more expensive (even taking into account public perception, etc) than to just carry on as we are.

Your personal habits may not amount to much in the overall scheme of things but altering them may change the behavior of other people in your orbit, or policies in your business would have a wider impact, or you could take it beyond that if you so choose. There is no limit as to the difference you could make if you choose that path. Everything counts, no matter how small. But as you have said on multiple occasions, if anything impinges on your lifestyle or ability to make money it can jog on. So fudges given = zero.

Your personal habits may not amount to much in the overall scheme of things but altering them may change the behavior of other people in your orbit, or policies in your business would have a wider impact, or you could take it beyond that if you so choose. There is no limit as to the difference you could make if you choose that path. Everything counts, no matter how small. But as you have said on multiple occasions, if anything impinges on your lifestyle or ability to make money it can jog on. So fudges given = zero.
That's not true. If both options are equal, I'll choose the green one.

There are two big challenges. 1. Individually anything one person does is meaningless. Collectively, action or inaction across the whole globe could be vital (or disastrous). Is Scara's outlook just more honest? Those who talk the environmental talk, do a bit of recycling but munch beef regularly, fly in planes, and consume lots of new goods...are they any better for their willing intentions?

I truly think we need a global manifesto on climate change. Something simple, that sets out how we should all be living. And that sets a president for governments, which the young can hold governments to. It is the young who will pick up the pieces. 2. Humans will never find it easy to act on things that have 100 year+ outcomes. We have to help people make changes. At the moment we lack clarity.

There are two big challenges. 1. Individually anything one person does is meaningless. Collectively, action or inaction across the whole globe could be vital (or disastrous). Is Scara's outlook just more honest? Those who talk the environmental talk, do a bit of recycling but munch beef regularly, fly in planes, and consume lots of new goods...are they any better for their willing intentions?

I truly think we need a global manifesto on climate change. Something simple, that sets out how we should all be living. And that sets a president for governments, which the young can hold governments to. It is the young who will pick up the pieces. 2. Humans will never find it easy to act on things that have 100 year+ outcomes. We have to help people make changes. At the moment we lack clarity.
It not the place of governments to meddle in the lives of individuals - it needs to be a societal thing.

The issue most have is the green route is sometime more time consuming and expensive to such an extent that even the Green of Green turn their back on the cause, so until thats addressed then I don't see there being the strides being made that are needed.

Maybe a sad view but one that I also feel is valid

It not the place of governments to meddle in the lives of individuals - it needs to be a societal thing.

What does that look like in this context? What is a 'societal thing' that changes human behaviours to slow or control global warming?

The issue most have is the green route is sometime more time consuming and expensive to such an extent that even the Green of Green turn their back on the cause, so until thats addressed then I don't see there being the strides being made that are needed.

Maybe a sad view but one that I also feel is valid

So you'd back taxes to affect behaviour? So Scara and the rest of us wouldn't have to wait until all things are equal. It would be cheaper to use a green option.

He's 'mindful' what more do you want :D

What does that look like in this context? What is a 'societal thing' that changes human behaviours to slow or control global warming?
The same as anything that's unacceptable regardless of government stance. Most of what I don and don't do has nothing to do with legality, it's all a moral choice.

The same as anything that's unacceptable regardless of government stance. Most of what I don and don't do has nothing to do with legality, it's all a moral choice.

So people scorning your inefficient car, for example, would have you change to an electric vehicle? If no, then you've proved that your solution is ineffective!

Back