• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Clement Lenglet

Jordi Cruyff has said it's about to become official.

Not sure I'll take Romano as gospel when it comes to details of the contract, like option to buy.

It’s been reported that we couldn’t agree a fee for the buy option, not that we didn’t want one. Even if Lenglet does great here, I don’t see Barca wanting him back next season so if he settles well there is nothing to stop us agreeing a few during his loan time here…..

I know things change very quickly football, but Levy had previously stated that he wouldn't loan a player without an option to buy.
Unless it's purely seen as a stop gap until we get who we really want next summer.

The big difference for me would be having another left footed, clear LCB, ball playing option.

I don't think I can overstate how important it was for us in the second half of last season that Davies stayed fit for almost all of it. Having a right footed player, one that's at best average on the ball even with their stronger right foot, would have made us immediately significantly worse.

I also think Lenglet could be a good option for the central role, at the very least in some games.

That being said another quality CB option for CCB or RCB, or ideally one that can play both would also be a significant upgrade to our strength in depth. Has been rumours that Conte wants two new centre backs. If we sign Lenglet on a loan I don't think another is out of the question.

It’s mcuh much better
With Lenglet we have another player who can pass and one who has a left peg
Doesn’t mean it’s the final solution but it’s a huge step up
I don't think it's much much better?

Lenglet is nothing but potential....we are signing him off of two poor seasons at Barca, so relying on Conte to breath life back into him.

He's left footed, that helps but it's quite feasible to think if Rodon was was employed (trusted) as the CCB and LCB back up he could do just as well. (He's never done much wrong when he's played). I'm assuming Rodon will be going.

I think another CH will arrive. I hope it's Bremer, looks literally a solid option.

Last edited:
I know things change very quickly football, but Levy had previously stated that he wouldn't loan a player without an option to buy.
Unless it's purely seen as a stop gap until we get who we really want next summer.

I'd see that as a good sign in this instance i.e. rather than walking away due to there being no buy-option, he's agreeing to the loan-only because it's what Conte/Paratici want, rather than nothing at all.

It’s been reported that we couldn’t agree a fee for the buy option, not that we didn’t want one. Even if Lenglet does great here, I don’t see Barca wanting him back next season so if he settles well there is nothing to stop us agreeing a few during his loan time here…..
It's just we lose control of that situation, (if he does well) others can show interest to Barca and they decide his destiny.
A low option to buy fee would have helped us get Lenglet away from his Barca contract as well.
Maybe that was the problem, Barca saw the buy option as too cheap??

If there’s no loan fee we’ll fall back on the playing having been a success wanting to move. And if he’s not send him back.

I don't think it's much much better?

Lenglet is nothing but potential....we are signing him off of two poor seasons at Barca, so relying on Conte to breath life back into him.

He's left footed, that helps but it's quite feasible to think if Rodon was was employed (trusted) as the CCB and LCB back up he could do just as well. (He's never done much wrong when he's played). I'm assuming Rodon will be going.

I think another CH will arrive. I hope it's Bremer, looks literally a solid option.

Bremer looks like a tank, built for the Prem

Problem with no buy clause is if he does play well and earns a permanent deal that Barca will up the price.

Problem with no buy clause is if he does play well and earns a permanent deal that Barca will up the price.

Then next season we try and buy bastoni, gvardiol, pau torres... Ndicka will be out of contract.

Lenglets basic salary is the same as kanes, so unless barca are willing to pay a chunk of his wages or he'll take a paycut it's unlikely we'd try to buy anyway.

Then next season we try and buy bastoni, gvardiol, pau torres... Ndicka will be out of contract.

Lenglets basic salary is the same as kanes, so unless barca are willing to pay a chunk of his wages or he'll take a paycut it's unlikely we'd try to buy anyway.
I think he is a stop gap anyway. An option is always worth negotiating for Incase he is a success.

I think we wanted a low option price to make signing him financially realistic as it would take into account the ridiculous wages he is on and being able to offer him a signing on fee or high wages to tempt him away.

I think he is a stop gap anyway. An option is always worth negotiating for Incase he is a success.

I think we wanted a low option price to make signing him financially realistic as it would take into account the ridiculous wages he is on and being able to offer him a signing on fee or high wages to tempt him away.

There could also be a similar situation to de jongs. Barca asked the players to defer some of their pay, which they agreed to. Now utd want to buy de jong, de jong wants to be paid what he's owed, something like €17m. Barca seem to be playing silly buggers about it.

There could also be a similar situation to de jongs. Barca asked the players to defer some of their pay, which they agreed to. Now utd want to buy de jong, de jong wants to be paid what he's owed, something like €17m. Barca seem to be playing silly buggers about it.
Interesting.
So many of the la Liga clubs are struggling with the league's wage percentage rules.

They were the only league in europe that didn't adjust their spending rules in account of covid.
It's funny they dug their heels in about that, usually the big clubs carry some power in Spain. You would have thought they would have had a rethink (being the cause was genuine)

Athletico have a big issue at the moment. Need to create space on the wage bill.

Back