• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

CL Round of 16 Draw: Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really disappointed with this draw. Was satisfied with having Barcelona and PSV in our group but Inter coming in have really spoiled the mood. Would have preferred a weaker team instead of Inter as our third opponents. I think having 3 tough opponents in the CL might affect our league form as we cannot rest players since we don't have the squad depth.

Despite the tough draw, it will be a good experience to play against Messi and Barcelona. We lost to Barcelona in the 1982 Cup Winners Cup semi final. So it it will be good to try our strength against Barcelona who have won the Spanish league for 3 out of the last 4 years. PSV will be tough as they won the Dutch league last season. We also lost to PSV in the UEFA Cup Round Of 16 match in 2008. Italian teams like Inter will always be tough even if they had only finished in 4th in the Italian league last season.

Really disappointed with this draw. Was satisfied with having Barcelona and PSV in our group but Inter coming in have really spoiled the mood. Would have preferred a weaker team instead of Inter as our third opponents. I think having 3 tough opponents in the CL might affect our league form as we cannot rest players since we don't have the squad depth.

Despite the tough draw, it will be a good experience to play against Messi and Barcelona. We lost to Barcelona in the 1982 Cup Winners Cup semi final. So it it will be good to try our strength against Barcelona who have won the Spanish league for 3 out of the last 4 years. PSV will be tough as they won the Dutch league last season. We also lost to PSV in the UEFA Cup Round Of 16 match in 2008. Italian teams like Inter will always be tough even if they had only finished in 4th in the Italian league last season.

We have great squad depth hence why we have started well... look at how many players we have used so far over 3 games

And make no mistake Inter will not have wanted this group
PSV will not have wanted this group
Barca will not have wanted to play us

I'm with you on that. Would have been nice to had someone else instead of Inter.

Still dont understand why when Inter came out and there was also a spot in the Bayern group left, they had to come into our group. There wasnt an italian team in the Bayern group so not sure why Inter couldnt have gone there and us got AEK Athens

I just hope the players and manager aren't as c0cky about the 'ease of this group' as some of you seem to be:eek:

We are the only team in this group without a CL/European Cup win in our history let's not forget that. We should also remember we would count as a very big scalp now for a lot of teams.

The minimum that should happen is that the glamour/difficulty of these games keeps all on their toes for the PL this autumn. Great draw.

I'm with you on that. Would have been nice to had someone else instead of Inter.

Still dont understand why when Inter came out and there was also a spot in the Bayern group left, they had to come into our group. There wasnt an italian team in the Bayern group so not sure why Inter couldnt have gone there and us got AEK Athens

Was it to do with Napoli and/or Juventus already being in that side oft he draw?? TV rights and all that, rather than it being a case of who is already in the groups themselves.
Our 4 entrants have to be split across 2 on Tue and 2 on Weds for same reason i think.

I just hope the players and manager aren't as c0cky about the 'ease of this group' as some of you seem to be:eek:

We are the only team in this group without a CL/European Cup win in our history let's not forget that. We should also remember we would count as a very big scalp now for a lot of teams.

The minimum that should happen is that the glamour/difficulty of these games keeps all on their toes for the PL this autumn. Great draw.
Regardless of whether we are the only team in the Group not to of won a European Cup/CL, PSV and Inter are not all that (obviously that doesnt mean they should be underestimated) - theres a reason why they they are in lower pots than us. Nottingham Forest have won the European Cup, doesnt really mean anything now....

Regardless of whether we are the only team in the Group not to of won a European Cup/CL, PSV and Inter are not all that (obviously that doesnt mean they should be underestimated) - theres a reason why they they are in lower pots than us. Nottingham Forest have won the European Cup, doesnt really mean anything now....

Yeah i know, but just wanted to put perspective on our 'overconfidence'..

We will pump all before us right in the pump hole... like a dog on heat because we are the mighty spurs!!

Lube up Europe because the totters boys are rolling into town.

If our arry doesn't get ya granyons a yearning our bald Brazilian magician will finish you off!

Inter are very average these days.

We will bash them home and away.

Yeah i know, but just wanted to put perspective on our 'overconfidence'..

I know what you mean but I don't think [most] people are "over confident". Just perhaps "confident" that we can give it a good shot.
And feeling confidence in this way is a bit, well, unusual. But it shows how far we have come under Poch that we do feel that way.

Confusing as hell

Also why can’t a Portuguese side go anywhere in the draw or a Greek one... very odd

Was it to do with Napoli and/or Juventus already being in that side oft he draw?? TV rights and all that, rather than it being a case of who is already in the groups themselves.
Our 4 entrants have to be split across 2 on Tue and 2 on Weds for same reason i think.
Correct. All countries with 2 or more teams had the teams 'paired'. The second team drawn from the pair had to be put in the opposite side of the draw from the first.

Inter were paired with Juventus who had already been drawn in Group H (the blue half). So, Inter had to go in a red group but, by the time they were drawn, there was only one space available in the red half - in Group B.

Confusing as hell

Also why can’t a Portuguese side go anywhere in the draw or a Greek one... very odd
Porto were the first drawn team from Pot 2 and could have gone into any group. They were drawn to Group D (the red half). Porto and Benfica were paired. When Benfica were drawn they had to go in the blue half but there was only free space in the blue half - in Group E. There were no restrictions on AEK.

Milan was a decent away day

The police were well organised and although not pleasant they kept us safe

Their fans were brick and did t make any noise

Anyone going the general plan is to head to the Duomo area by the Cathedral

Best place for beers was amshop nearby that sold them or McDonalds that sold Perroni

Much cheaper than put way and no ques

Great Group. Really excited. Brings back fond memories of the San Siro.

Lennon to Crouch.GOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying here but I never understand when the old 'history' point comes up.

I think that it matters much more to us fans than it does the players and I really can't see it being an influence on any game. IMO all that really matters at every club is the here-and-now - how well that particular team is playing at that time and how well have they done since the main nucleus of them have been playing together. It's obviously great to be playing for a club with a glorious history but that in no way guarantees anything on the pitch.

Right now, IMO, we are a better team than both PSV and Inter and I also doubt Barca are overly chuffed to have drawn us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back