• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Circus ManUnitus - Erik's At The Wheel

Ouch.

Louis van Gaal rewriting his Manchester United story fools nobody - and certainly not Spurs

Depending on who you listen to, the late Bobby Robson was either treated very badly by Barcelona or even worse than that, when the old boy was shown the door in the summer of 1997 after winning a Copa del Rey and the old European Cup-winners’ Cup.

It was so bad that Jose Mourinho, then a 34-year-old translator with additional cone-laying and chauffeuring responsibilities threatened to quit over his famous mentor’s treatment and had to be talked out of it. “I honestly did not like it. They just moved Robson upstairs. I thought it was awful towards him.” That was not Mourinho, rather it was Robson’s successor Louis Van Gaal who gave an insight into his feelings on the matter years later. He clearly felt strongly about it, albeit not quite strongly enough to prevent him from taking the job.

You might have noticed that Van Gaal is back again, still very much addressing the issues of his two seasons at Old Trafford in the manner of a shouty farmer explaining his views on the right to roam. His recent BBC interview concluded that for his last six months at Manchester United, “the media has a noose around my neck” with the stories about Mourinho’s summer arrival enduring through the season. He said he found it hard to take that Ed Woodward, United’s executive vice-chairman, was in contact with his successor for six months “and he [Woodward] keeps his mouth shut”.

Indeed, managerial transitions of this kind are rarely ideal although on reflection that does sound a lot like what happened to Robson at Barcelona 19 years earlier.

They do like to rewrite history, these managers of a certain vintage who are only one bad result away from reminding you how many European Cups they have won. The facts of the matter have not changed since Van Gaal’s departure getting on for three years ago, the key one being that United were unquestionably dying of boredom under his reign. They averaged fewer goals in that 2015-2016 season than any United team in the Premier League years, and a total of 49 was only one more than the abject Sunderland team that just avoided relegation.

The football was lamentable at United under Van Gaal, FA Cup winner or not. The club was stalled again three years on from Sir Alex Ferguson’s departure and everyone knew it. The Telegraph broke the story that Cup final day that Van Gaal was finally out and Mourinho was on his way but there was no conspiracy to undermine the Dutch incumbent. It is just the unfortunate, messy timing that often occurs when clubs are scrambling around for a solution to unexpected problems.

It allowed Van Gaal to leave as the wronged man although in the weeks leading up to that final, as his team stuttered in the league, it was obvious that he had to go. As for his bold assertion that he should have chosen Tottenham Hotspur in 2014 on account of the aging profile of United’s squad, that rather ignores the problems Spurs had at the time. Mauricio Pochettino inherited a few awkward types of his own that required clearing out, including whichever unidentified player it was he would later say shouted a Mourinho song in the face of his assistant Jesus Perez during their first season.

Spurs finished five points and one place better off than United the season before Van Gaal took over, and although Van Gaal overhauled them in his first season, by the time he left Spurs were two places and four points better off than United. One thing is sure: while Van Gaal may believe he made the wrong choice, Spurs certainly know they did not.

Solskjaer given the job permanently. I'm a but surprised they didn't wait until the end of the season.

Ole Gunnar Solskjær appointed as Manchester United’s permanent manager

Ole Gunnar Solskjær has been confirmed as the permanent manager of Manchester United on a three-year contract after a successful period in interim charge.

Solskjær was due to continue in a caretaker capacity until the end of the season but has revived the team so impressively since taking over from José Mourinho in December that his appointment on a longer-term basis has been announced by the club.

“From the first day I arrived, I felt at home at this special club,” Solskjær said. “It was an honour to be a Manchester United player, and then to start my coaching career here. The last few months have been a fantastic experience and I want to thank all of the coaches, players and staff for the work we’ve done so far. This is the job that I always dreamed of doing and I’m beyond excited to have the chance to lead the club long-term and hopefully deliver the continued success that our amazing fans deserve.”

Hopefully this is a conseuqence not only of Solskjær doing reasonably well, but also of Manure being told by Poch he's going nowhere.

Solskjaer given the job permanently. I'm a but surprised they didn't wait until the end of the season.

Ole Gunnar Solskjær appointed as Manchester United’s permanent manager
Me too, he’s had a great bounce albeit with some vital luck in arguably his two biggest wins against us and PSG, he’s restored some good feeling by not treating the higher paid help like school children and reopening the Fergie era hymn book but he’s just had his first reality check in the last two results. For a club of United’s resources, 4th remains the minimum and that’s by no means guaranteed -it’s not like they needed to worry about him going anywhere else.

You obviously don't know anything about OGS.

I know that he was a disappointment at Cardiff and that he has been managing in a minor European League since then. He’s a sentimental, populist appointment to counter the effects of a two year a spell under a cynical mercenary. He enjoyed a big bounce because of this, but there have been signs in the PL that’s tailing off.

The timing of his appointment shows it’s being driven from the terraces (“We want our Utd back”) rather than by cold boardroom thinking (“Lets wait to season’s end and see where we are and who’s available”).

Gone by the end of next season!

I know that he was a disappointment at Cardiff and that he has been managing in a minor European League since then. He’s a sentimental, populist appointment to counter the effects of a two year a spell under a cynical mercenary. He enjoyed a big bounce because of this, but there have been signs in the PL that’s tailing off.

The timing of his appointment shows it’s being driven from the terraces (“We want our Utd back”) rather than by cold boardroom thinking (“Lets wait to season’s end and see where we are and who’s available”).

I generally agree with this - I don't think he will be a long term success at Manure.

But I've known who Solskjær is since he was 20 years old and a local star in the Norwegian third tier (we went to the same high school), and if there's one thing I've learned, it's to not underestimate him. Every time he's taken another step up - to the Norwegian top tier, to the national team, to Manure - he's adapted and become successful. Even going into management, at Manure reserves and then Molde in Norway, he succeded.

I'd go as far as to say that the Cardiff job has been his only real failure in football. I'm certain he's learned from that too though. I think it was too much, too soon.

I think the Manure job could be the same - too much too soon - but history has taught me to not write him off just yet. Despite his baby face looks, Solskjær is determined to succeed, and will do whatever it takes to do so. Whether he has what it takes, remains to be seen.

Ole will fold under the circus and the media pressure.
To be fair Ole look like a nice guy, that will not help him.
Mourinho is not my cup of tea, to put it mildly, but his character is suited to these big clubs. Man Us shenanigans will consume Ole.

The time in Cardiff is irrelevant. The club was in a mess at the time, with hostile fans because of owner Vincent Tan and his antics, including forcing through a change from blue to RED shirts. In addition, he had to go shopping at poundland. It would have ended badly for anyone in that job.

I can guarantee that he won't be gone by the end of next season.

His will to win is second to none, and he's not only a smiling, happy guy that just brings a temporary lift in the dressing room. He's not a naive happy clapper that just happened to get the job because he's a nice guy. Far from it!
He's spent years learning from one of the best, and developed his own methods based on the foundation of Sir Alex Ferguson. My cousin played under him at Molde, and he demands nothing less than 100%. All the time!
Those that did not, were quickly gone.
He will get money to spend, and the organisation/team around him now is nothing like it was at Cardiff. In addition to that, he knows how everything works at United. I think you will be surprised.

I'll miss my hourly media fix of Poch is going to United, just have to wait for someone to trip on an empty crisp packet at the new stadium for "Spurs Stadium Deathtrap" story

Isn't that about average for the PL, possibly better?

I think it is an easy decision for United. Any manager choice will be a gamble and Solskjaer might work out. He is keen on the job so the terms will be relatively favourable. He will get money to spend but not the same amount as someone they have to heavily recruit. If it doesn't work out they try again next year.

The other factor is the fans. They want him, so not appointing him could have brought opposition and made life more difficult for any alternative manager. The first mishap would be compared to Solskjaer's golden start. Solskjaer will get the benefit of doubt and help the management avoid difficult decisions. They could be lucky and get a good manager and save money.

Back