• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Modric has a burst of pace that can make space for himself. Dembele can do the same thing.
Eriksen doesnt have any sort of acceleration.

First off, I think we'd all agree it's unfair to compare him head-to-head with the player who made us tick for three seasons, was the centre point of everything good we did and who is one of the best in the world...so yes, absolutely, Luka could pick up the zip at the click of his fingers...but I do think if we play Eriksen, we should really try to play him from a deeper position right now so long as he has that 'anchor' next to him and players prepared to go wide and create some width. I also hope upon hope he can decide to grab games by the scruff and take charge; if he wants to be the top player he can be, this has to happen. I hope for his sake and ours he is up to the challenge and decides he wants it, because if he makes that decision, he could be a worldy...

First off, I think we'd all agree it's unfair to compare him head-to-head with the player who made us tick for three seasons, was the centre point of everything good we did and who is one of the best in the world...so yes, absolutely, Luka could pick up the zip at the click of his fingers...but I do think if we play Eriksen, we should really try to play him from a deeper position right now so long as he has that 'anchor' next to him and players prepared to go wide and create some width. I also hope upon hope he can decide to grab games by the scruff and take charge; if he wants to be the top player he can be, this has to happen. I hope for his sake and ours he is up to the challenge and decides he wants it, because if he makes that decision, he could be a worldy...

I dont think he's capable of it yet but thats were he should be aiming to play.
I'm all for throwing him in the middle permanently and let him learn how to play there in the premier league, how to avoid getting knocked off the ball and the rest.
But I doubt too many will be as patient. Sherwood had him there for a few games until results went south.

Eriksen is struggling to do his job defensively in a more attacking position. I really don't think he's ready for the responsibility that comes with that deeper role.

In addition one of his main strengths is his shooting, moving him deeper would mean fewer goals. Great to see him get the goal yesterday and hopefully it will boost his confidence too as he's been looking a bit out of sorts most of the season.

Mason is doing really well in that deeper playmaking role and should be kept in the side imo.

Eriksen is struggling to do his job defensively in a more attacking position. I really don't think he's ready for the responsibility that comes with that deeper role.

In addition one of his main strengths is his shooting, moving him deeper would mean fewer goals. Great to see him get the goal yesterday and hopefully it will boost his confidence too as he's been looking a bit out of sorts most of the season.

Mason is doing really well in that deeper playmaking role and should be kept in the side imo.

I think what we saw yesterday was Eriksen with more room to manoeuvre and he was free to come deep and then push forward. What I loved was the quick incisive passing of both Eriksen and Mason at a time when we needed to pick up the tempo. It was exactly what Hull didn't want. Mason also is one of the few in the squad who can actually spread possession wide with a longer ball. Having he and Eriksen in tandem yesterday meant we were able to keep changing the attacking angle. They were massively helped by the fact we finally had a left and right side as Davies and Chiriches and Lennon all hugged the touchline more.

I take your point about Eriksen's defensive duties. But as part of a 3 I think he could flourish, as long as he has the license of the 3 to roam and get forward. It kind of should be working like this anyway but I think he and Lamela almost try and do the same thing as one another at times.

I think what we saw yesterday was Eriksen with more room to manoeuvre and he was free to come deep and then push forward. What I loved was the quick incisive passing of both Eriksen and Mason at a time when we needed to pick up the tempo. It was exactly what Hull didn't want. Mason also is one of the few in the squad who can actually spread possession wide with a longer ball. Having he and Eriksen in tandem yesterday meant we were able to keep changing the attacking angle. They were massively helped by the fact we finally had a left and right side as Davies and Chiriches and Lennon all hugged the touchline more.

I take your point about Eriksen's defensive duties. But as part of a 3 I think he could flourish, as long as he has the license of the 3 to roam and get forward. It kind of should be working like this anyway but I think he and Lamela almost try and do the same thing as one another at times.

Eriksen was moved into that tandem with Mason after the sending off though. When it was clear that those defensive duties of a deep midfielder wouldn't be as heavy. Poch has moved Eriksen deeper when chasing games in the past. It's very different from playing there week in week out for full games.

As part of a 3 it could work, sure. But the difference between playing with a 3 where one has the license to roam and get forward really isn't that much different from playing with a deep 2 as we currently are with Eriksen as one of the attacking 3 ahead of those.

What Eriksen and Mason in tandem illustrated was just how good it is to have two proper passers in those deep midfield roles. Essentially we haven't had that regularly since Hudd and Modric got their run of games. Right now the closest to that would probably be Mason and Bentaleb, unless Murmorn is right and Stambouli is a super awesome passer. I really don't think Eriksen is the answer for that role at this point, and I'm not convinced he ever will be or should be. He does most of his good work well into the final third and is a very good, potentially great, attacking midfielder.

still think the wonky is the way to go

either lamela or eriksen needs to be in the hole but right up there near the striker...and we need at least one aplyer on the flank that can stretch the opposition

Eriksen was moved into that tandem with Mason after the sending off though. When it was clear that those defensive duties of a deep midfielder wouldn't be as heavy. Poch has moved Eriksen deeper when chasing games in the past. It's very different from playing there week in week out for full games.

As part of a 3 it could work, sure. But the difference between playing with a 3 where one has the license to roam and get forward really isn't that much different from playing with a deep 2 as we currently are with Eriksen as one of the attacking 3 ahead of those.

What Eriksen and Mason in tandem illustrated was just how good it is to have two proper passers in those deep midfield roles. Essentially we haven't had that regularly since Hudd and Modric got their run of games. Right now the closest to that would probably be Mason and Bentaleb, unless Murmorn is right and Stambouli is a super awesome passer. I really don't think Eriksen is the answer for that role at this point, and I'm not convinced he ever will be or should be. He does most of his good work well into the final third and is a very good, potentially great, attacking midfielder.

I agree I don't think it should ever be as part of a midfield duo (he and Mason). I'm only suggesting it as a midfield 3 and you're right it's not too different than what should be happening in a 4-2-3-1. There just seemed to be a bit more of a clearer role for Eriksen as opposed to usual when he seems unsure whether he or Lamela should be coming in and dictating play.

Christian Eriksen: Spurs will have good season when they become more stable
• Win at Hull put Tottenham 10th in Premier League table
• ‘We just need to play better at home’
Share 0

inShare
Email
Press Association
The Guardian, Monday 24 November 2014 17.14 GMT
Christian Eriksen
Christian Eriksen, centre, celebrates after his late goal gave Spurs victory over Hull at the KC Stadium. Photograph: Alex Livesey/Getty Images
Christian Eriksen has set his sights on curing Tottenham’s White Hart Lane woe after getting the side out of jail at Hull.

Spurs’ rocky first season under Mauricio Pochettino appeared to heading for another low ebb at the KC Stadium on Sunday when they went in at half-time 1-0 behind.

A team showing six changes – largely injury-enforced – were turning in a thoroughly disjointed performance when the Hull forward Gastón Ramírez was dismissed for kicking out at Jan Vertonghen. The tone of the match changed in an instant, and Eriksen was at the heart of the visitors’ revival.

Harry Kane equalised after the Denmark international whipped a free-kick against the woodwork and Eriksen got the winner in the 90th minute.

The victory took Tottenham into 10th place in the Premier League, but they still need to improve at home, where they have lost four times in six matches. “We can take a lot of good things and a lot of confidence with us from this game,” said Eriksen, whose side host Partizan Belgrade in the Europa League on Thursday and Everton on Sunday.

“Every game is different and we still have to work hard and improve a lot of things.

“Of course we know they [home fans] expect more and we do as well. We always want to win when we play at home and if we don’t they are not happy – it’s normal.

“It’s nothing to do with that. We just need to play better at home. When we become more stable, we will have a good season.”

That Eriksen was on the pitch to secure the late win was significant for the 22-year-old playmaker. Though he started all 12 of Spurs’ league matches this season, he has been substituted six times, including being replaced at half-time against Stoke and Aston Villa this month.

He was pleased to have the chance to settle matters on Sunday. “The last two games I was pulled out after 45 minutes,” he said. “Every player wants to play more than 45 minutes, but it’s the decision of the coach. You have to work hard. I had the chance this time and I showed that 90 minutes is good for me.”

The former Tottenham captain Michael Dawson, who moved to Hull in the summer, was disappointed to be on the losing side against his former team-mates.

“Everybody knows what it meant to me to play in this game, and to lose in the way we did was a massive disappointment – especially after the first half,” he said.

“The red card changed the game. It was going to be one-way traffic from there because Tottenham have some top players.

“Christian Eriksen’s free-kick is something I used to see on a daily basis and then his finish in the last minute was top class.

“But we’ve come away with no points, so it is massively disappointing.

For me, it's about getting him on the ball early so as he can make things happen. I thought he was terrible first-half yesterday, drifting here, drifting there, showing no purpose and with Mason seemingly driving only to find Eriksen behind, or beside, him. To my eye, he was hiding. The moment that extra space came, and when we put Lamela left and Lennon right for 10-15 mins, it allowed him to pick up the ball just inside the half and drive forwards, help create, help make stuff happen. perhaps it is all about confidence, but right now (and I've expressed this opinion before ;-) ) when he and Lamela play in that three together it just doesn't work as we don't have any width from full-back right now plus they seek the same spaces.

Agree on confidence stuff and let's hope this is the beginning...

For me, it's about getting him on the ball early so as he can make things happen. I thought he was terrible first-half yesterday, drifting here, drifting there, showing no purpose and with Mason seemingly driving only to find Eriksen behind, or beside, him. To my eye, he was hiding. The moment that extra space came, and when we put Lamela left and Lennon right for 10-15 mins, it allowed him to pick up the ball just inside the half and drive forwards, help create, help make stuff happen. perhaps it is all about confidence, but right now (and I've expressed this opinion before ;-) ) when he and Lamela play in that three together it just doesn't work as we don't have any width from full-back right now plus they seek the same spaces.

Eriksen is the best midfielder we have so Poch should do everything he can to get the best out of him and basically build from there.

I agree that he was poor most of the game yesterday. But honestly that's been the case in the past too and he's then produced some magic. For the reasons I outlined above I just don't see him as a deeper midfielder at the moment. He quite simply has to adjust to the more confined space further forward on the pitch, and we have to be better at getting the ball to him in dangerous areas with a bit of space. Dembele was terrible on the ball yesterday so it was all left to Mason to be creative and find those passes in the first half.

Eriksen is the best midfielder we have so Poch should do everything he can to get the best out of him and basically build from there.

Possibly. For me what makes him special is what he does when close to the box. Shooting, crossing, clever through balls (although he ballsed one up on Sunday when he could have released Lamela and instead played it too slow and almost behind him). Give him the ball in a bit of space somewhere close to the box and he will make **** happen. In a way that makes him similar to Sigurdsson even though I think Eriksen is a better player.

As a team we need to feed him (and Lamela, Chadli, Kane) those passes in the final third with a decent frequency, then we'll get the best out of him.

i think he's best coming from deep where he has full view of the play ahead of him. he is technically gifted but has been found out by the opposition, and they know he doesn't take well to the slightest of contact. that's the biggest difference between him and modric - modric would commit the player onto him, turn and put him out of play or get away from him to initiate and attack.

Possibly. For me what makes him special is what he does when close to the box. Shooting, crossing, clever through balls (although he ballsed one up on Sunday when he could have released Lamela and instead played it too slow and almost behind him). Give him the ball in a bit of space somewhere close to the box and he will make **** happen. In a way that makes him similar to Sigurdsson even though I think Eriksen is a better player.

As a team we need to feed him (and Lamela, Chadli, Kane) those passes in the final third with a decent frequency, then we'll get the best out of him.

I agree with most of this so there's not much to add. I will say that the comparisons that some are making to Modric aren't helping. He isn't that type of player and more importantly, he isn't as good as Modric, that's not a bad thing. I think Eriksen and Soldado play better together than Eriksen and Ade for example. I would say we need to play Eriksen with some combination of Chadli, Lamela and Kane and stick with it for a while.

I agree with most of this so there's not much to add. I will say that the comparisons that some are making to Modric aren't helping. He isn't that type of player and more importantly, he isn't as good as Modric, that's not a bad thing. I think Eriksen and Soldado play better together than Eriksen and Ade for example. I would say we need to play Eriksen with some combination of Chadli, Lamela and Kane and stick with it for a while.

I agree with all that. And other than preferring Ade to Kane/Soldado it seems that Poch does too. After all Lamela, Chadli and Eriksen have been starting very consistently in the league.

Much more VdV than Modric to me.

In the squad we have, Eriksen is the player we have to build around. Simple

Exactly. We should build the team around Eriksen. Afterall, he is our most creative player.

And Eriksen should :
1) play the whole 90 mins whenever he his fit
2) take all our freekicks
Someone should tell Kane, Townsend and Lamela that their freekicks are not good enough. Let Eriksen take all our freekicks from now on.

In the squad we have, Eriksen is the player we have to build around. Simple

I don't disagree he is the best player, but building around a player who, if we finish 7th this season, may well leave next summer, means we then go back to square one and look to build the team around someone else. If he was a Messi or if we could guarantee him staying for the next few years then i agree, but we aren't in that position, IMO.

Interesting http://www.spursstatman.com/blog/2014/11/25/hull-city-a-241114-post-match-tactical-analysis

Switching to the 4-2-1-3 could bring out the best in Tottenham’s attack

I know, I know. Suggesting switching from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-2-1-3 sounds like perhaps the most trivial thing ever written, but allow me to explain:

The difference between the two formations is small. It is essentially just an adjustment of positioning between the attacking midfielder and the wide players, but these changes play directly to Tottenham’s strengths.

The attacking midfielder in the 4-2-1-3 plays deeper in the midfield, and is more connected to his two defensive-midfielders. This creates a more solid midfield foundation and allows the playmaker (Eriksen) to play away from the opposition’s defensive midfielders and have more time and space on the ball with the knowledge of his midfield partners close behind him.

The midfield three also reduces the reliance on the wide-men to drop deep and assist with buildup play. Instead, they play slightly more advanced and are able to receive the ball in better attacking positions with their face towards goal without being in the cluster of a congested midfield.

The setup of the 4-2-1-3 naturally helps Tottenham’s two biggest issues in attacking play: congestion in the number 10 space and the neutralisation of Eriksen by opposition defensive-midfielders. By moving Eriksen deeper, and the wide-men slightly more forward, the 4-2-1-3 provides natural spacing and balance to a team that often lacks in both.

i get the feeling that poch deliberately wants us to congest the play up there, regardles the formation.

strange though as early on when he first joined us he emphasized a lot about quick transitions to attack. we have one of the slowest attack in the league now.

Back