• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

The corollary of playing behind Adebayor and Soldado :-k

@Squawka: Christian Eriksen has created 18 chances in the Premier League this season, more than any player without an assist.

Not sure what Pochettino has done to Eriksen but he is really struggling to show his best form of last season. They way he got replaced at half time against Villa might affect his confidence further.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...spur-star-christian-eriksen-needs-to-step-up/

SeasonGoalsTotal ShotsShots on TargetGoal AssistChances createdChances created Open PlayTotal PassAccurate PassAppearancesMins Played
Christian Eriksen2014-2015327701612456
<thead> </thead> <tbody> </tbody>

At first glance, Eriksen seems to have been decent for Tottenham so far in the Premier League. Three goals, 27 shots and 16 chances created are not bad stats, but for someone who is supposed to be the creator-in-chief of his side they are just not good enough.

The Denmark international attacking midfielder has abundance of talent and has vision, but he has yet to fully explode this season. Although stats do not tell the whole story as his Tottenham teammates have not helped him much, but there is little doubt that Eriksen needs to step up.

One area in which Eriksen is doing well is in taking shots and being more adventurous in front of the opposition's goal. He has had 27 attempts in nine league appearances, but only seven of them have been on target.

During his time at Ajax and last season in the Premier League (see below for stats), Eriksen showed what he is capable of. The 22-year-old now needs to lead Tottenham’s attack and resurrect their chances of finishing in the top four of the Premier League.
SeasonGoalsTotal ShotsShots on TargetGoal AssistChances createdChances created Open PlayTotal PassAccurate PassAppearancesMins Played
Christian Eriksen2013-201474822868361,109908251,983
<thead> </thead> <tbody> </tbody>

Not sure what Pochettino has done to Eriksen but he is really struggling to show his best form of last season. They way he got replaced at half time against Villa might affect his confidence further.

he definitely suits an open role (e.g. sherwood) better. under poch he hasn't looked as light and lively as he did before, perhaps burdened by the additional pressing ?

The more I see of Chadli the more I realise that he might work better as a forward. His movement and reading of the game are more in keeping with what I would expect of a striker rather than his current (semi) wide role. He is playing high up the pitch mostly anyway and that causes us defensive problems down the left with Rose IMO, so I think he should move into the position behind the striker and see how it works. He's a big man too which is in effect replacing Ade's physical presence up front, if you can call it that.

That would leave Eriksen the opportunity to move back left where he was more effective last season anyway and move him further away from Lamela as I think they are tripping over each others toes. I'd argue that these guys need to start wider than they have been. It's OK moving in from wide starting position, swapping positions, etc. all that good stuff, but it's turning into a traffic jam in the middle sometimes and making it very difficult to pick a pass. Starting wider also has the effect of having a body in front of the full back too, even if they don't put in a tackle.

Kane or Bobby up front to finish the quartet.

Last edited:
I think the problem with Eriksen is Lamela, Lamela likes coming inside and though i do like the aspect of inter changing, sometimes Lamela forces his way into Eriksens space.

Agree, been saying this all season...it comes down to a personal preference right now, and because I believe he is stronger/is capable of greater heights if he clicks in fully, Lamela gets my vote. One day, with the balance Poch wants, we might be able to accommodate them, but even then only if they are left and right. Left and centre leaves them in each other's way too much...

Did you watch the video above? Eriksen is a special player. Few people can control a football as he can. Part of the reason he's sometimes underwhelming is because the opposition see he can win a game in a flash - as he did against Southampton - and they don't give him any room.

While Lamela is potentially brilliant too, with more of a physical presence, I can't see how people would have him in the side over Eriksen. The challenge is setting the team up to ensure Eriksen gets the ball enough.

Both are 22! So they should develop as they settle into a formation - which needs work.

That's right. You've got to keep in context the age of these players. Modric was 23 when we signed him. Modric wasn't as good as we remember him when he first signed, he was inconsistent and lightweight. He developed into the player he is now.

Eriksen and Lamela both have great potential, but they're still very young.

That's right. You've got to keep in context the age of these players. Modric was 23 when we signed him. Modric wasn't as good as we remember him when he first signed, he was inconsistent and lightweight. He developed into the player he is now.

Eriksen and Lamela both have great potential, but they're still very young.

Modric may have been inconsistent, mostly due to either playing on the left or behind the striker, but one thing he wasn't was lightweight.

Did you watch the video above? Eriksen is a special player. Few people can control a football as he can. Part of the reason he's sometimes underwhelming is because the opposition see he can win a game in a flash - as he did against Southampton - and they don't give him any room.

While Lamela is potentially brilliant too, with more of a physical presence, I can't see how people would have him in the side over Eriksen. The challenge is setting the team up to ensure Eriksen gets the ball enough.

Both are 22! So they should develop as they settle into a formation - which needs work.

Me too. Eriksen presents more of a goal threat and more of a threat in and around the box in general than Lamela.

Me too. Eriksen presents more of a goal threat and more of a threat in and around the box in general than Lamela.

potentially.

this season he seems to fade away from the game too much, in overall contribution including goals and assists - its a toss up between him for lamela for most unrealised potential award.

potentially.

this season he seems to fade away from the game too much, in overall contribution including goals and assists - its a toss up between him for lamela for most unrealised potential award.

Eriksen is still more involved, less likely to give the ball away and has better end product for me. Lamela has ability for sure, but is nowhere near Eriksen for me - even this season so far...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Eriksen is still more involved, less likely to give the ball away and has better end product for me. Lamela has ability for sure, but is nowhere near Eriksen for me - even this season so far...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

We see differently I guess. To me lamela has presence hassling players and using his physicality well enough. In return he attracts much more attention than eriksen, and overall is more involved. Though it doesn't amount to much, at least it's a street brawl in the opponents half not ours.

Both are underperforming and continued to underwhelm but I'm hopeful that they will kick on soon.

In comparing both we also need to remember that eriksen has had a full season under his belt, ahead of lamela.

Agreed. Eriksen has already proved his abilities last season while Lamela has yet to prove his worth so far. IMO, we should build the team around Eriksen. He should be our main creative player in midfield. But I think Pochettino is trying to build the team around Lamela instead.

Personally I think Eriksen is one of the best players we have and would be the second person on the team sheet if I was the manager.

He has the skills and the brain to be our playmaker, pull the strings and run the game. But he needs to be played in a position where he can influence the game. He has to be central. and that makes it difficult in our current set up.

I don't think he is a natural #10. In this position he either receives the ball too high up the pitch, as a striker rather than a playmaker. So he doesn't get the opportunity to influence the game as much. Or he ends up dropping deeper into midfield to pick the ball up -and then we don't have anyone in the #10 slot ahead of him.

But when we've switched to a 4-4-2 - often when we are up against it, chasing a game - with Eriksen in the middle, he looks quality and the team looks better too. He always wants to get on the ball, and he reminds of Modric (but a Modric who can finish). He have very good vision, and he passes first time when there is pass on, and his instinct is to move the ball forwards rather than sideways. And I think he perfectly capable of putting his foot in tackle as well.

So I'd rather see Eriksen in a 4-4-2 or if Poch insists on playing a 4-2-3-1 then as a more advanced one of the 2 deeper midfielders. That means the other DM has to do a lot of defensive work, and I'm not sure if any of our current DMs are the right kind of player. Sandro was.

What will probably happen though, is that we won't play him centrally, we will continue to sub him off early, and he will leave, and develop and fulfil his potential somewhere else. While more mediocre players like Chadli, Townsend (sorry Andros), Capoue etc. will still be at Spurs.

Last edited:
Back