1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Christian Eriksen

Discussion in 'Classic Threads' started by spurspinter1, 30 Aug 2013.

1. Yermiyahu

Yermiyahu Scott Parker

Glad he's gone ,so our club can move forward without the seemingly endless distraction. Thanks for the memories.

90291Spur, DaygoSpur and StephenH like this.
  2. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull

Dinner in Milan
    Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

3. Baleforce

Baleforce Clive Allen

if you want to beat Juve it's not players you need to buy

MKSpur likes this.
  4. NoLimits01

NoLimits01 Ronnie Rosenthal

when this day came I thought I'd be heartbroken that we have lost a great player and servant to the club

Today I just feel a bit meh

DeanoAustin, Yermiyahu and afsoc4life like this.
  5. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Andy Thompson

I heard he's about to extend his contract with us :eek:

What a protracted saga. Eriksen managed to make running down his contract work quite well at Ajax, but its been a grueling marathon with us. In hindsight, it would have been better for everyone if he'd got a move last summer. I shouldn't imagine his current form has endeared him to as many clubs. At one point he could have been on elite level wages. Shame as he was one of the best players during the Poch era. I'll never quite understand why he wasn't more consistent. A brilliant technical player when in the zone, a moody lacking confidence liability when off form.

Baleforce likes this.
  6. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Paul Walsh

Never really bought that narrative tbh, we were a team that was better than its parts.
    Harry is/was our only really WC player.
    The rest good, made better by each other.

7. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Andy Thompson

Funny to look back at page 1. From fresh-faced and eager....to haggard and spent! Laterz.

8. alekaras

alekaras The ITK of IDK

He made us tick.

parklane1, Robbo and StephenH like this.
  9. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Steve Hodge

& that was one of the worst shirts we've ever had. HP seem to have that effect...

Mikey10 likes this.
  10. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Willie Hall

On point. I have felt this since the match itself. Kane starting did not hamper us, it did create those moments, and to have several of them as we did against a team of their quality means you have to take at least one of them if you are in any top match, let alone a CL Final.

On Eriksen, Dubai has eloquently said what I think is the right and appropriate thing to say right now re: Eriksen. We remember the good times. I wish him well in Italy.

11. Bullet

Bullet Steffen Freund

They shoulda told Levy they would pay 20m on the 1st Jan, 19.5m on the 2nd Jan, 19m on the 3rd Jan etc...

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  12. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Paul Walsh

Fair enough mate, but I wouldn't restrict that failing to just him - half the team fell at the final hurdle on a regular basis, unfortunately. Something about the mentality of the group he was part of.

Dele even admitted it after we threw away the FA Cup semi-final in 2018 - 'we can't keep doing this'. It was just part of the group mentality, and I think Eriksen wasn't alone in being unable to truly dominate the biggest stages.

13. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

When your teams play relies on one mans creativity then you could say his ability to perform on the big stage would be key above all others - he was the man who supposedly made us tick afterall...

Yermiyahu and thfcsteff like this.
  14. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Paul Walsh

No worries, mate. I personally think he was - Silva has the advantage of six years' worth of experience over Eriksen, but Eriksen ran far harder than Silva ever did, while maintaining a comparable attacking output.

glasgowspur likes this.
  15. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Paul Walsh

He wasn't that central to our play, though. It's hard to explain given that he almost never missed a game, but I think we only grew overly reliant on him to deliver a bit of magic from about the second half of 2017/2018 onwards. Before that, the team could comfortably decimate anyone we came up against, with or without an on-form Eriksen. After about January 2018, we became almost purely focused on individual moments of brilliance to carry us over the line - the 'air raid' strategy of high-volume, low-probability attacks to make up for our utter lack of a midfield.

But we weren't always as reliant on Eriksen as we were towards the end - he was just what made an already impressive team damn-near perfect. Didn't stop us choking on the biggest stages, though - right from the Carling Cup final in 2015. Something about the team just wasn't conducive to taking that final step, and I maintain that Eriksen wasn't alone in suffering from that malaise.

Finney Is Back and glasgowspur like this.
  16. afsoc4life

afsoc4life Mitchell Thomas

Running harder doesn't make him better and Silva was quite dynamic. I saw Silva for both Valencia and City. Silva is a better player than Eriksen - mentally as well.

Bishop, SteveAWOL and thfcsteff like this.
  17. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

Maybe he is a big part of that malaise due to his mental issues. I mean this is a guy who cannot get the job I’ve the line and perform in his biggest games. He can do everything up to that point. In the biggest game of his career and he won’t get bigger he was out played by Danny Ross, Harry Winks and Sissoko... players who are not as good as him but know how to turn up when it matters

billyiddo likes this.
  18. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

B79A7856-AB52-4A8F-9EB3-5ADDA04322F6.jpeg Is he hoping for this....

SteveAWOL and mjc23 like this.
  19. Baleforce

Baleforce Clive Allen

Or this,

[​IMG]

NickTB likes this.
  20. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Ian Walker

I don't think you can blame one player when the whole team don't perform, after all we wouldn't singularly praise Eriksen when the whole team did perform. I think the main reason we lost semi finals and finals under Poch was because we typically had a tiny squad with little decent cover and by the end of the season we would have a mixture of injuries and fatigue and come up against teams who had spent more on having bigger, deeper squads and could come into those games fitter and fresher.

glasgowspur and Robspur12 like this.