• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I think if Dybala is still at Juve in Jan, we will go for him. Sadly, I think he will have moved on/been moved on. But if not, that third party rights owner will have a real compromise decision to make. I also think we should hold onto Eriksen TBH. 30 mill is not worth it versus what we might gain with him even for one more year!

IF there is anything to Dybala we do have 4 months to do the deal. Spend that time getting everything lined up, see if its feasable even, and then pull the trigger on it in Jan.

Eriksen? The thing for me is if he is leaving next summer (have to assume at this point) then every time you play him this season you are robbing other players of time to develop and gel. I think its a really tricky thing to manage to be honest.

Whats it say, not showing up and account suspended when I click on it.

I assume its a re run of the rumour from a few weeks back, Eriksen to sign a new deal but with a release clause. One that suits him more than us...

IF there is anything to Dybala we do have 4 months to do the deal. Spend that time getting everything lined up, see if its feasable even, and then pull the trigger on it in Jan.

Eriksen? The thing for me is if he is leaving next summer (have to assume at this point) then every time you play him this season you are robbing other players of time to develop and gel. I think its a really tricky thing to manage to be honest.

I assume its a re run of the rumour from a few weeks back, Eriksen to sign a new deal but with a release clause. One that suits him more than us...

New deal at £200k a week and a release clause for chosen clubs. Which will of course suit Eriksen as well, but IMO it's much more preferable for Spurs than facing the prospect of him leaving on a free next summer.

If we tie him up on such a deal, we can comfortably play him this season, simultaneously planning for his possible departure, knowing that if he leaves, it won't be City snapping him up for nothing.

New deal at £200k a week and a release clause for chosen clubs. Which will of course suit Eriksen as well, but IMO it's much more preferable for Spurs than facing the prospect of him leaving on a free next summer.

If we tie him up on such a deal, we can comfortably play him this season, simultaneously planning for his possible departure, knowing that if he leaves, it won't be City snapping him up for nothing.

We can play him this season with the same comfort by simply resisting offers for him the next couple of weeks.

A new deal is meaningless if it has an easy out for him. All it really is is a pay rise to keep him engaged.

We still need to live with the constant threat he is off, with the idea he isnt committed.

And so we still need to, IMO, marginalise him to the benefit of working out how to get Alli/Son/Kane/Lo Celso/Ndombele etc all in a functional team.

These are the guys we have who are on board.

We can play him this season with the same comfort by simply resisting offers for him the next couple of weeks.

A new deal is meaningless if it has an easy out for him. All it really is is a pay rise to keep him engaged.

We still need to live with the constant threat he is off, with the idea he isnt committed.

And so we still need to, IMO, marginalise him to the benefit of working out how to get Alli/Son/Kane/Lo Celso/Ndombele etc all in a functional team.

The new deal Arnautovic got at West Ham after all his fuss about leaving worked out well didnt it :D....

I politely disagree - firstly it's harder to resist offers now if we know he'll walk for free next summer. If we do tie him up and limits his buyout clause to Real/Barca/Juve, he'll be our player also next season unless they come for him.

If he's out of contract, we don't have any power - he could easily end up at City or Pool for nothing. I certainly don't want that to happen. (and yes, I know player power could force this anyway)

Plus Eriksen is professional. I'm confident he'll put in a shift for us as long as he's a Spurs player, unless of course a transfer is imminent, in which case I don't expect him to be played at all.

I agree though that we have to plan for a potential future without him. I'm sure that's one of many scenarios Poch works with, and why we signed Lo Celso and N'Dombele to begin with. A new contract with a buyout clause for Eriksen won't chance that.

What it will give us, is a possible scenario where we will have both Eriksen AND N'Dombele and Lo Celso integrated in the team for next season. No guarantees of course, but chances are certainly bigger with Eriksen on a new deal. That would make us so much stronger.

I politely disagree - firstly it's harder to resist offers now if we know he'll walk for free next summer. If we do tie him up and limits his buyout clause to Real/Barca/Juve, he'll be our player also next season unless they come for him.

If he's out of contract, we don't have any power - he could easily end up at City or Pool for nothing. I certainly don't want that to happen. (and yes, I know player power could force this anyway)

Plus Eriksen is professional. I'm confident he'll put in a shift for us as long as he's a Spurs player, unless of course a transfer is imminent, in which case I don't expect him to be played at all.

I agree though that we have to plan for a potential future without him. I'm sure that's one of many scenarios Poch works with, and why we signed Lo Celso and N'Dombele to begin with. A new contract with a buyout clause for Eriksen won't chance that.

What it will give us, is a possible scenario where we will have both Eriksen AND N'Dombele and Lo Celso integrated in the team for next season. No guarantees of course, but chances are certainly bigger with Eriksen on a new deal. That would make us so much stronger.

I think we both know the clause will be set so as to entice the bidders he wants. I would also suggest his agent will be facilitating all the way through.

If he is insisting on an easy out, then he is not committed, it really is as simple as that. We will lose him the second any of his preferred sides pony up, and the way the market is going he is going to look increasingly like a bargain if his release is relatively low as expected.

He signs a deal now, he doesnt, either way he can leave at any moment. We cannot plan around him being here the next few seasons.

Im sure he is professional. And I dont doubt his ability.

However, If we cannot rely on him staying (we cant), then imo, he cannot be a mainstay of the side. Thats purely where my thinking is coming from.

I would rather see us promote the players that will be here and build something with them.

The only way keeping Eriksen makes sense to me is if we use him to help smooth that transition. IE - he plays more at the beginning of the season while the new guys bed in, but gets phased out by the end. We are strong throughout and end up in a place where him leaving isnt really of consequence.

My concern is keeping him, compromising the team shape just to accommodate him, compromising the progress of Lo Celso and co because things are being fudged, and then having to deal with the fall out when he does leave.

Which leads to a secondary point - what if he signs a deal with no clause, shows he is fully committed? Making a team that really works suddenly becomes a real headache for Poch IMO - I suspect we have effectively replaced him already and we will end up in a situation of unhappy players constantly sitting out or a team thats completely narrow because its clogged up with midfielders.

I think we both know the clause will be set so as to entice the bidders he wants. I would also suggest his agent will be facilitating all the way through.

If he is insisting on an easy out, then he is not committed, it really is as simple as that. We will lose him the second any of his preferred sides pony up, and the way the market is going he is going to look increasingly like a bargain if his release is relatively low as expected.

He signs a deal now, he doesnt, either way he can leave at any moment. We cannot plan around him being here the next few seasons.

Im sure he is professional. And I dont doubt his ability.

However, If we cannot rely on him staying (we cant), then imo, he cannot be a mainstay of the side. Thats purely where my thinking is coming from.

I would rather see us promote the players that will be here and build something with them.

The only way keeping Eriksen makes sense to me is if we use him to help smooth that transition. IE - he plays more at the beginning of the season while the new guys bed in, but gets phased out by the end. We are strong throughout and end up in a place where him leaving isnt really of consequence.

My concern is keeping him, compromising the team shape just to accommodate him, compromising the progress of Lo Celso and co because things are being fudged, and then having to deal with the fall out when he does leave.

Which leads to a secondary point - what if he signs a deal with no clause, shows he is fully committed? Making a team that really works suddenly becomes a real headache for Poch IMO - I suspect we have effectively replaced him already and we will end up in a situation of unhappy players constantly sitting out or a team thats completely narrow because its clogged up with midfielders.

I just can't agree with you on the last point. For years we have lacked any real competition or depth for Eriksen or Alli, the only one recently being Lamela - who is very often injured. Lo Celso provides genuine competition and depth for the first time in ages, and suddenly that's an issue? If anything, I think it could actually provide the change that Eriksen craves - a need to actually compete for his place! And either way, how can we every have quality in depth if we fear that it will rapidly make players unhappy?

If we take Poch's historically first choice front four (flexible to different formations) of Kane, Son, Alli and Eriksen, I currently see Moura and Lo Celso as first in line pushing for a start (in different positions), and Sessegnon and Lamela as additional depth. Seems fine to me for this season - I don't imagine anyone kicking up a fuss. If someone started to get unhappy with playing time towards end of season, then we could just sell someone in the summer - I'm sure there'd be suitors for such top players.

Look at City - they make it work having two high quality players for every position, and that's who we're competing with - so I think we need to aim for the same. Especially as by all accounts Poch's man management is one of his strengths.

Time will tell I guess. Personally I cant see past it being an issue rather than a benefit, though I would have course be happy to be proven wrong.

Either way I still think that its problematic relying on a player who can leave at the drop of a hat and is actively pursuing such.

Give player a 4yr contract with a 50m release clause
Or lose player for zero in 3 months

Everything else at this point is irrelevant

He wants Madrid - Madrid are not convinced about him, whilst that situation remains he stays with us, and will obviously put a shift in, until he is displaced in the team at which point there is no issue with him leaving

Time will tell I guess. Personally I cant see past it being an issue rather than a benefit, though I would have course be happy to be proven wrong.

Either way I still think that its problematic relying on a player who can leave at the drop of a hat and is actively pursuing such.

I agree with your second sentence, but I also agree with your previous point that if he does stay, we should use him to ease the transition to Lo Celso rather than 'relying' on him. Seems like a win-win to me, and I don't see why it wouldn't be possible - especially given that he doesn't seem the type to kick up a massive fuss. In fact he looked pretty committed against Villa.

So for me, either he stays for one more year and eases the transition to Lo Celso without causing a fuss, or is fully committed for more than a year and gives us more depth in quality than we've ever had before, which personally I don't see leading to any short-term issues this season.

As you say though, time will tell!

So for me, either he stays for one more year and eases the transition to Lo Celso without causing a fuss

Thats the bit that bothers me, I think its far more tenuous than people might like to think.

Will Poch be that strategic and actively marginalise Eriksen over the season? I cant help fearing a situation where he is instead trying to fit too many players in at once and we pay the price with poor performances.

Thats the bit that bothers me, I think its far more tenuous than people might like to think.

Will Poch be that strategic and actively marginalise Eriksen over the season? I cant help fearing a situation where he is instead trying to fit too many players in at once and we pay the price with poor performances.

Personally I don't share that fear, even though I agree it's a risk in theory. I just trust that Poch will manage it well, to the club's advantage. He's certainly not been afraid in the past to bench high-profile players if they're not 100% committed, like Toby and Rose in the past and Eriksen and Vertonghen on Saturday. And he's also done it in a way that hasn't precluded those players from being successfully re-integrated later. This would be a slightly different and more tricky kind of balancing act, but I think with Poch and Eriksen it's more likely to work than not.

But we shall see!

At the risk of getting painted as some sort of hater, I think his contribution Saturday is greatly over stated.

I think the change is shape and dynamic alone was as influential as the player coming on.

Eriksen looked up for it and played some nice balls, but its not like he won the game single handed - yet that seems to be the common view coming across on here.

At the risk of getting painted as some sort of hater, I think his contribution Saturday is greatly over stated.

I think the change is shape and dynamic alone was as influential as the player coming on.

Eriksen looked up for it and played some nice balls, but its not like he won the game single handed - yet that seems to be the common view coming across on here.

Was at the game, when he came on he was standing where Eriksen always stands, before he came on players were looking up and the space about 40yrs out was unoccupied

There is an argument that somebody else "could" of been there, but nobody was, also i think the players are programmed to look up and pass to Eriksen central 40yrs out
It was helped that we were playing far more forward, but we went from random players having the ball, to eriksen dictating play

Back