• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

My preference is to do what we did before - no out and out DM at all. A Dembele replacement (I don't think Sissoko is even nearly that player*) with a player who is comfortable with passing the ball and reading the game well, like Dier.

*Sissoko can run with the ball quickly, but usually into space that is already there. I don't think that gets close to Dembele's ability to create that space to run into, to run past players when there's no space at all, or to just hold up play and lay it off well when available. I don't see players gambling on Sissoko beating the press the way they did Dembele.

Agreed. We need what you say just to have balance amongst our CMs. We've missed that balance since Dembele left, and only have one CM who can pass the ball, meaning Eriksen and Dele get shifted deeper.

I can see us getting someone like Gomes or Tielemans (not exactly life for like with Dembele) given I dont see us paying properly big bucks for anyone this summer. I dont see us going too much beyond £30m for any signing but, for example, getting say Wan Bissaka, Sessegnon, Gomes/Tielemans and a younger forward

Agreed. We need what you say just to have balance amongst our CMs. We've missed that balance since Dembele left, and only have one CM who can pass the ball, meaning Eriksen and Dele get shifted deeper.

I can see us getting someone like Gomes or Tielemans (not exactly life for like with Dembele) given I dont see us paying properly big bucks for anyone this summer. I dont see us going too much beyond £30m for any signing but, for example, getting say Wan Bissaka, Sessegnon, Gomes/Tielemans and a younger forward
An unlikely result, but getting Ndombele and Wan Bissaka and getting all of our current players onto longer term contracts would be the best transfer window we've had in memory.

I'd go as far as to say we'd be title contenders next season.

An unlikely result, but getting Ndombele and Wan Bissaka and getting all of our current players onto longer term contracts would be the best transfer window we've had in memory.

Individually all those I suggested are gettable, but agree that collectively signing 4 players seems beyond us. I dont agree with your view on Ndombele - I can see him being out of our league price-wise.

Overall, reports are that Poch has £60m (net) to spend. If you can add say £25m to that for Trippier, and £15m for an assortment of others (Janssen, GKN, CCV, Onomah etc) then you can believe that £100m is available. If you further assume that Sessengon coming in means we sell Rose, then you move well over £100m

Still think we lack a press-resistant deep midfielder.

It has certainly been a situation where we've created solutions without fully addressing the problem.

For me Dembele was winding down and becoming increasingly error-prone, he seemed to be getting caught in possession a lot more. The big question is whether Winks can remain fit for a length of time. If he can, then I would love to see the Winks/Sissoko axis given a proper run. We could also do with our known "front four" getting a run together too. Not sure what the stats say, but to me, it felt like they've barely played a full match together this season. In think the full-back areas need addressing, and we need another player in the mould of Eriksen to challenge him/be there when he cannot be. Impossible really, so that looks like a youngster with potential and talent. As bizarre as this will sound, Poch appears to consider Grealish coachable along those lines (he will never be Eriksen obviously - few could be) but I see the potential.

When we take a step back and consider where we currently are, it is not only fantastic but a tribute to the work and experience gained in the last few seasons. I defy any of the other sides around us to consistently play without three of Kane, Alli, Son, Winks, Dier, Wanyama. Perhaps the biggest blessing of all has been Alderwiereld remaining fit...

Agreed. Add Sessgnon and I think we'll have addressed major issues. Shift out a few too.

Individually all those I suggested are gettable, but agree that collectively signing 4 players seems beyond us. I dont agree with your view on Ndombele - I can see him being out of our league price-wise.

Overall, reports are that Poch has £60m (net) to spend. If you can add say £25m to that for Trippier, and £15m for an assortment of others (Janssen, GKN, CCV, Onomah etc) then you can believe that £100m is available. If you further assume that Sessengon coming in means we sell Rose, then you move well over £100m

I believe we will try big big time for De Ligt, with Toby out the door and Forth/Sanchez in as De Ligt finds his feet (IF we can even get close to him). I think further, we'll look at those full-backs mentioned by Scara and you. I have a feeling we'll go back in for Grealish. N'Dombele I have no clue on, but cannot see us actually making that move. I agree with Scara he would be a great player to come in, but that would likely be the end of Victor or Eric. I think we will have more money than we think, but it is critical we keep winning our matches!

Not only have they both suffered from having to cover other positions, they've both missed Dembele.

He was the reason they used to get the ball in space and now we don't have anyone doing that.
They have. I know Dembele wasn't everyone's favourite, he certainly was one of mine, but none can deny the skill he had to retain possession that was almost unmatched. Despite his other limitations, in the final third especially, that one ability was a game changer IMO .
I saw Comoli do a prozone analysis of Kramer, who at one point was the best player at not losing the ball while under pressure in Europe (I think). In practical terms, this means that the opposition must commit 2 or 3 players to try to win possession back off him and rarely do. Dembele was the same sauce. The space that his ability opened up for his teammates is why they all loved him so much.

Exactly. This article sums it up well -

https://statsbomb.com/2019/01/the-rise-of-press-resistant-midfielders/

Press-resistant central players are becoming irreplaceable given current football trends of high pressing / smart pressing in high-intensity zones. Teams are realizing this, too, which is why they're in such high demand - with Frenkie De Jong and Tanguy NDombele both examples of this skillset. At their most basic, they create space for others - at their most devastating, they single-handedly decide games and entire seasons with marauding runs through midfield, opponents bouncing off them at will.

The article being headlined with a picture of Mousa isn't an accident, either - he was basically the poster boy for powerful, unstoppable press resistance, the first of a new mould of central midfielders that could counteract the gegenpressing in vogue at the time. In many ways, Poch's usage of Dembele created the tactical demand for that style of player across the continent, and is the reason why Poch loved him so much. In many ways, Mousa was a first.

No doubt the entire team has suffered from Mousa's decline and subsequent sale. Attackers have had less space to operate in, and have had to turn the ball over quicker. Dispossessions have gone up, meaning the team has had to run more to recover the ball. Defenders don't have an easy out ball ,and opponents have more players available to spring on counters.

We miss Mousa, or someone like him. Surprisingly enough, Sissoko has fulfilled many aspects of that function this season - his passing is very questionable, but in terms of pace ,strength, dribbling skills and workrate, he's pretty much been the surprise package of the season in terms of replacing Dembele.

But he's had to put in multiple shifts as a defensive midfielder, negating most aspects of this skill. And of course, we might not have him for the run-in.

Whatever happens, this summer we will need to decide what we do about that central midfield position. Do we settle on Sissoko as a DM? In that case, we need another press-resistant central midfielder to take up the slack on the other side.

Or, alternately...do we get Sissoko to play more of a ball-carrier role next season, and sign a new DM to replace him? If so, some interesting combinations emerge.

The most interesting would be to play a deep-lying regista alongside Sissoko - to provide a new vector to threaten the opponent by having that player pick up the ball in deep areas and immediately spring counters with long balls. It would also be the most balanced solution, and would allow for a team brimming with menace.

Another option would be to do away with the need for a 'pure' DM, and sign another ball-carrying player (Tanguy NDombele) to sit at the base of midfield. Then, Sissoko and NDombele could take turns alternating runs forward, and it would allow for plenty of cover for that role should one get injured.

Either way, this CL run has been an absolute blessing, because it allows us to bring in that calibre of player this summer, provided we get CL. And that, in turn, will free up Eriksen, Alli, Son and Kane to a huge extent next season - if we can pull it off.
Very good article.

He better fcukin' re-sign with us. He's never gonna find a better situation.

He's helped make this group what it is and he can be a key in making it what it can become.

He can choose to become a legend with Europe's most incredible self-made sports story. Or a mere mercenary with some moneybags side.

Back