• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I’ve not said he’s not playing at his highest level.

But the witch hunt for one of our best players is unreal.

Also, what’s wrong with keeping the ball?

Hardly a witch hunt.
My biggest problem isn't with Eriksen, my problem is with the endless amount of crap we have to take for daring to say he's not playing well. I've support the shirt, not the player, but any criticism of him is howled down by certain posters. That's OK, that's their opinion, but when you question people's intelligence, not you btw, because you say he isn't playing well (when he clearly isn't) then I will make a poi t of it.
How would you compare the abuse Hugo for instance gets for individual mistakes in games?

I'm with @Legohamster on this one ..

Trippier, Aurier, Rose, Lucas, Davies, Winks (yes), Lamela, Wanyama (when he has played), Dier (again, when played) have all had markedly worse seasons than Eriksen, yet this thread boils down to

- Well if Eriksen is good, it doesn't matter that the defense is brick (and he often has to cover), it doesn't matter that the FBs are brick (and aren't widening the pitch to make the space for the incisive passes), it doesn't matter that Winks, Lucas, Lamela haven't been consistent, he should just boss the game .. bit of flimflam honestly.

People had these same conversations re Carrick & Modric btw ...

In the past Eriksen has covered the defence by being the correct position to cut off passing lanes, hasn't happened this season.
May be because he is tired.
With the exception of aurier all those players have been part of our success over the 4 seasons, are you saying that's because Eriksen has been carrying them and covering for their deficiencies? That what it reads like.

I'm with @Legohamster on this one ..

Trippier, Aurier, Rose, Lucas, Davies, Winks (yes), Lamela, Wanyama (when he has played), Dier (again, when played) have all had markedly worse seasons than Eriksen, yet this thread boils down to

- Well if Eriksen is good, it doesn't matter that the defense is brick (and he often has to cover), it doesn't matter that the FBs are brick (and aren't widening the pitch to make the space for the incisive passes), it doesn't matter that Winks, Lucas, Lamela haven't been consistent, he should just boss the game .. bit of flimflam honestly.

People had these same conversations re Carrick & Modric btw ...

The alternative reading of your point is that Eriksen needs a rock solid defense, top quality fullbacks to be able to perform. Bit of flimflam honestly...

He has the quality to impose himself on the game far more than he actually does. This really shouldnt be up for debate, surely?

And to point that out is far from a witch hunt, its a straight evaluation of the players performance vs his potential.

The witch hunt seems to be more in line with certain posters hounding anyone who dare criticise Eriksen. A recurring theme on the board recently.

Those conversations re Carrick and Modric? I was involved heavily at the time and was on the players side in each. I well remember the whole "Carrick, what does he do?!" thread.

The difference here is that the player isnt misunderstood, he is simply not performing anywhere near where he should.

How's chasing shadows doing your bit?
You'd venture, care to back that up with some stats? After all the running stat is pulled out quick enough. I'd actually venture that this year he has given the ball away as often as he's won it back.
No one is questioning his talent, but he is off form, that cannot be denied, why is it not OK to discuss this without being labelled at best a moaner and at worst with snide comments that intimate you know nothing about football.
There's some on here who think he can do no wrong.
I cannot speak for others, but if you can quote a single word or phrase I've used in this discussion that shows even the slightest disrespect then I'd be most grateful.

I have acknowledged he is in a run of poor form at the moment, and that his poor form tends to last longer than with others. That is hardly claiming he can do no wrong. However I stand by my comment that even when playing poorly he continues to put a shift in and usually still manages to come up with key passes etc. It's why imo Poch is so loathe to drop him.

The alternative reading of your point is that Eriksen needs a rock solid defense, top quality fullbacks to be able to perform. Bit of flimflam honestly...

He has the quality to impose himself on the game far more than he actually does. This really shouldnt be up for debate, surely?

And to point that out is far from a witch hunt, its a straight evaluation of the players performance vs his potential.

The witch hunt seems to be more in line with certain posters hounding anyone who dare criticise Eriksen. A recurring theme on the board recently.

Those conversations re Carrick and Modric? I was involved heavily at the time and was on the players side in each. I well remember the whole "Carrick, what does he do?!" thread.

The difference here is that the player isnt misunderstood, he is simply not performing anywhere near where he should.

No, I'm saying

- Poch's system (when working) is overcommitted FBs to provide width (our midfield tends to be narrow), as well as a DM to step back to cover for the gaps created by FBs and/or protect the two CBs from being exposed.

That system is not working this season, and yet we are asking our most creative midfielder to "boss the game" I just think it's unrealistic expectation. Again if you put Wanyama, Dier, and another DM in the midfield and Kane doesn't score, would you say Kane is brick?

I'm not saying Eriksen is playing his best or close to best football, I just think people are making more of it, vs. understanding it's a combination of team issue and player form.

And I think that amounts to a whole bunch of flimsy excuses for a player you would much rather not criticise.

Defence or fullback issues (over stated by the way) shouldnt prevent him from getting on the ball and making an impression on matches.

Something he is distinctly failing to do.

And I think that amounts to a whole bunch of flimsy excuses for a player you would much rather not criticise.

Defence or fullback issues (over stated by the way) shouldnt prevent him from getting on the ball and making an impression on matches.

Something he is distinctly failing to do.

You think the season our FB's have had is overstated? (defensively/offensively they have been brick)

Look mate, lets agree to disagree .. if you think Eriksen doesn't have an impression on our matches .. ok ..

I hate it when we have a player who looks likely to transfer away and that move would be greatly facilitated by Spurs failing to qualify for Champions League. It's almost as if such a player has little motivation to bring his best if a deal has already been concluded. And, in Erikson's case, it's easy to assume that, given the calibre of rumoured suitors for him. The only good thing in his case is that his rumoured destinations are abroad.

It changes somewhat for Alderweireld. If he's off to ManU, doesn't it serve his long-term interests to muck things up for Spurs in order to help his future employer gain a CL position?

Of course, the instant Poch stops playing these guys, the gossip mill goes into overdrive. Not what we need for the run in.

You think the season our FB's have had is overstated? (defensively/offensively they have been brick)

Look mate, lets agree to disagree .. if you think Eriksen doesn't have an impression on our matches .. ok ..

I think they havent been as good as they should have been, but thats some way away from brick. Also think it is a massive overstatement to try and suggest they have been SO bad that Eriksen cant play well because of them.

There is also a big difference between "played brilliantly" and "played brick". There is a rather long scale by which players performances can be judged.

I dont think Eriksen has been explicitly poor in general. That is not to say he has played as well as he can though - and that really is the crux of the argument for me.

He has the ability to impose himself on games and largely dictate play/bring up the teams performance. He doesnt. But he should.

I think they havent been as good as they should have been, but thats some way away from brick. Also think it is a massive overstatement to try and suggest they have been SO bad that Eriksen cant play well because of them.

There is also a big difference between "played brilliantly" and "played brick". There is a rather long scale by which players performances can be judged.

I dont think Eriksen has been explicitly poor in general. That is not to say he has played as well as he can though - and that really is the crux of the argument for me.

He has the ability to impose himself on games and largely dictate play/bring up the teams performance. He doesnt. But he should.

Last try ...

The system is not working, neither the FB model nor the DM (hence we have seen the reverting to 3 at back), team is not playing well, it contributes to Eriksen (I believe every player has to balance defense/offense, the more he has to worry about where Trippier drifted off to, the less he's controlling a game)

The FBs have been awful, sides specifically target our right side with regularity and neither set of FBs is contributing anything close to what the system is setup for. Just compare to the Rose/Walker season as benchmark. Jan's performance as stand in LB quite honestly showed the delta.

I don't disagree that he hasn't been able to impose himself on games this season, and I agree part of it is form, I disagree it should be reviewed in isolation of the team's form.

All opinions mate .. and I'm not an expert … just another fan ...

All the players you named have got plenty of ciritism, why shouldn't Eriksen? He's been poor for some considerable time now, there is nothing wrong with it being questioned whether it would be beneficial for all parties if he would be moved on - maybe a change of scenery would wake him up, and we can invest and change tactics in terms of the way we play accordingly - Not that anyone is saying he should definitely go, just looking at whether it might long term be more beneficial if he does. There isn't one person saying he hasnt got the talent, people have been questioning his desire and meteorology - look at Dele, and look at Eriksen there is no comparison in terms of digging in when the going gets tough and producing....

You mention Dele - I wouldn’t disagree on his mentality - but who is often supplying the balls to him for his match winning goals?

I understand what you are saying. I simply disagree.

Of course no player operates in a vacuum, but every player has the ability to play above the level around them, and to make the most of their own performance.

I havent once watched Eriksen this season and thought he was giving it everything he had.

I have often watched him and felt he was coasting, or effectively hiding, or failing to take responsibility, or failing to drive himself on (let alone the team).

I know the team isnt on song. Id pinpoint the midfield as the key issue rather than FB, to be honest. FBs havent been great but IMO all issues lead back to a lack of CM quality/balance.

Bottom line is though, when times are tough and things arent going well - THAT is when you rely upon your best players to step up.

This season I would say Alli, Kane, Son, Vertonghen have all stepped up far beyond Eriksen who has regressed if anything.

I would say Eriksen has outperformed Sissoko, he has the inherent quality to be the better player with ease - but even then Sissoko has "stepped up" above Eriksen by a huge margin. He has given everything he has.

Hardly a witch hunt.
My biggest problem isn't with Eriksen, my problem is with the endless amount of crap we have to take for daring to say he's not playing well. I've support the shirt, not the player, but any criticism of him is howled down by certain posters. That's OK, that's their opinion, but when you question people's intelligence, not you btw, because you say he isn't playing well (when he clearly isn't) then I will make a poi t of it.
How would you compare the abuse Hugo for instance gets for individual mistakes in games?

It’s just a conicidence that since it’s become clear he wants to leave this has become more of an issue?

He has a dip in form every season, I recall last year the talk was about getting someone to challenge his spot/rotate - so the form thing is nothing new.

I’m not arguing he’s out of form, but I put it down to appalling squad management more than anything else.

I feel this season his poor form has extended way beyond what it has previously.

Usually he starts slow, has a bit of a peak, a dip, then finishes the season strong.

This season its like he has skipped the mid season peak and doesnt look like finishing the season strongly either.

It is possible its related to him possibly wanting to leave. Though not in the way of fans turning against him as I think you infer, rather his head/motivation just isnt there as a result of that (possible) decision.

It’s just a conicidence that since it’s become clear he wants to leave this has become more of an issue?

He has a dip in form every season, I recall last year the talk was about getting someone to challenge his spot/rotate - so the form thing is nothing new.

I’m not arguing he’s out of form, but I put it down to appalling squad management more than anything else.

I largely agree with that, except the bit about him leaving. If as rumoured he will only move to barca or real (and I don't believe he is interested in real) then by giving himself such limited options I can't see that he is that is that intent on moving.

I largely agree with that, except the bit about him leaving. If as rumoured he will only move to barca or real (and I don't believe he is interested in real) then by giving himself such limited options I can't see that he is that is that intent on moving.

I think Real will be interesting, they need to spend.

I imagine how much they spend depends on how seriously they take FFP rules.

Hazard/Sterling/Christian (linked players) would be impossible to afford and stay within FFP

They have already dropped 50 million this week.

I cannot speak for others, but if you can quote a single word or phrase I've used in this discussion that shows even the slightest disrespect then I'd be most grateful.

I have acknowledged he is in a run of poor form at the moment, and that his poor form tends to last longer than with others. That is hardly claiming he can do no wrong. However I stand by my comment that even when playing poorly he continues to put a shift in and usually still manages to come up with key passes etc. It's why imo Poch is so loathe to drop him.

I haven't mentioned you as one of them I can't think it why you think it's you.
Tbh I seldom look at the name os posters, Two reasons for that, one I like to read the post without any colour from who is making the point. Two, my failing memory and fast depleting attention span means I'd be constantly having to go back and chech who had written every post.

I think Real will be interesting, they need to spend.

I imagine how much they spend depends on how seriously they take FFP rules.

Hazard/Sterling/Christian (linked players) would be impossible to afford and stay within FFP

They have already dropped 50 million this week.

I can see real being interested in him, not him being interested in real.
To me he's not a man that would be happy there.

Back