• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I love Alli, and I know many will label me an ignoramus for saying this, but it seems to me he's having a comparatively ineffective season by his standards?

He seems to generally be dropping deeper with each season (presumably Poch's idea of course!), and I just don't see him adding as much value there as he was doing higher up the pitch 1 or 2 seasons ago. What am I missing?

For those who like stats (I know not everyone does!) - here's Eriksen and Alli's stats per 90 minutes for this season, in PL and CL combined:

View attachment 5733

Alli dribbles and wins the ball back more, but Eriksen comes out on top on everything else (albeit sometimes only very marginally). Which reflects what I personally see on the pitch.

Before anyone starts, I'm not being negative towards Alli - I just find the analysis and discussion interesting!

Keep in mind that our central midfield options have been limited to our 4th and 5th choice players for the most part this season, yet despite that we havent missed a beat. Alli dropping deep and pitching in with the ugly side is no doubt as huge reason for that and I've personally been really impressed with his performances in this new role with the added responsibilities and think he is showing a fantastic level of maturity/leadership for someone so young - he's up there with my players of the season so far.

Alli drifts in and out of games and still has quite a few games where he's anonymous and things don't come off for him. Eriksen rarely drops below say a 7 and regularly puts in 8's and 9's.
I think you can level this same critism against Eriksen. Some games he is totallly perhiperal and is almost content to blend into the current pattern of play on the pitch. This for me is the next and maybe final stage of his development. Using his ability to shift the entire momentum of a match in Spurs favour when things are going against us. He still is arguably our best player mind but I'd love to see him make this last step.

Alli is a little differnt in that he's either on it, and evething he tries comes off, or it doesn't. He's never annoymous or plays it safe IMO.

I think you can level this same critism against Eriksen. Some games he is totallly perhiperal and is almost content to blend into the current pattern of play on the pitch. This for me is the next and maybe final stage of his development. Using his ability to shift the entire momentum of a match in Spurs favour when things are going against us. He still is arguably our best player mind but I'd love to see him make this last step.

Alli is a little differnt in that he's either on it, and evething he tries comes off, or it doesn't. He's never annoymous or plays it safe IMO.

I 'd say he does this a fair bit. Just because he cant do it every time things are going against us doesn't mean he doesn't do it at all. I think we've seen it this season in fact.

There is no doubt that both Eriksen and Alli are both great players but ( imo) its hard to compere them as the are different players and offer us different things. I just feel that IF we were to lose either one of them Eriksen would be the hardest one to replace. But i can understand why others may not see it that way.

I 'd say he does this a fair bit. Just because he cant do it every time things are going against us doesn't mean he doesn't do it at all. I think we've seen it this season in fact.
Maybe. I can't recall too many instances like that but if does happen I don't think we see it half enough. My own perception is that when the team is playing well then Eriksen comes into his own, but if we're not on it he's not the guy to turn it around for us. Could he be that guy? Yes he could, and this is why I have noticed its absence really. In some matches I'm waiting, imploring him to take hold of the match and push us forward but I'm mostly left wanting.

This sounds like I am an Eriksen critic but quite the opposite. He's my favourite current player and I honestly think there is a lot more to come from him. He has not peaked.

Last edited:
"Maybe sign next week or in six months. He's a very special person. You need to give freedom, like on the pitch, can't put him in the box. Like my dog, when you go in the park, you have to give freedom and trust."

I will worry if I see pictures of Poch rubbing Eriksen belly on the training ground. Will be really worried if he picks up his poop.

Maybe. I can't recall too many instances like that but if does happen I don't think we see it half enough. My own perception is that when the team is playing well then Eriksen comes into his own, but if we're not on it he's not the guy to turn it around for us. Could he be that guy? Yes he could, and this is why I have noticed its absence really. In some matches I'm waiting, imploring him to take hold of the match and push us forward but I'm mostly left wanting.

This sounds like I am an Eriksen critic but quite the opposite. He's my favourite current player and I honestly think there is a lot more to come from him. He has not peaked.

Again our opinions differ. I think lots of the times we have played well was because he has played well and ran the game. He just isn’t going to do it all the time. There's pretty much only one player in world football that does it nearly all the time.

Football teams lose, players have off days. He has less than most.

I am split between two thoughts with him if he does want to leave, which is quite believable.

We should sell as soon as possible to be able to recoup as much as possible, I assume because of FFP that Madrid would be able to pay more in January then they would in the summer when they will have to buy even more players to rebuild their squad.

The other thought is he is so important we keep him till the end of the season when he will have hopefully have helped us get champs league and stopping Arsenal for a third season.

I got a feeling he be off.....usually Levy has a cull in the summer,to pay for other signings plus some stadium interest so he wont pay what he's asking for but more likely if Real Madrid /Barcelona come calling he be off anyway....£90 mill kerr ching for Levy satchel plus one or two others.... Lloris or Dier maybe plus couple of reserves,so that should take it up to £150 mill.

its all down to Levy thenand how much money he wants to bank...or give to Poch.

I got a feeling he be off.....usually Levy has a cull in the summer,to pay for other signings plus some stadium interest so he wont pay what he's asking for but more likely if Real Madrid /Barcelona come calling he be off anyway....£90 mill kerr ching for Levy satchel plus one or two others.... Lloris or Dier maybe plus couple of reserves,so that should take it up to £150 mill.

its all down to Levy thenand how much money he wants to bank...or give to Poch.
I can't think of many instances where Levy has sold a star player for us unless the player demanded a move and/or their contract was running down with little sign of a new one being signed.

It's up to Eriksen I think. If he agrees to a contract, is happy or ok with staying I don't see him being sold.

I can't think of many instances where Levy has sold a star player for us unless the player demanded a move and/or their contract was running down with little sign of a new one being signed.

It's up to Eriksen I think. If he agrees to a contract, is happy or ok with staying I don't see him being sold.

Carrick - Could be argued we cashed in after failure to get to CL, and suspect he asked for a move
Berbatov - Kidnapped by Man Utd
Modric - Went on Strike got a year out of him and left abroad
Keane - We put in a complaint to PL as he was tapped up by boyhood club ;)
Bale - Got too big for us, got another year out of him and left

Carrick - Could be argued we cashed in after failure to get to CL, and suspect he asked for a move
Berbatov - Kidnapped by Man Utd
Modric - Went on Strike got a year out of him and left abroad
Keane - We put in a complaint to PL as he was tapped up by boyhood club ;)
Bale - Got too big for us, got another year out of him and left
Think all those sales were right at the top of any fee received at the time too. Still think we did Liverpool and Keane a favour rather than ourselves by taking him back after they broke him.

Back