• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Chess World Championship

Carpentry is good for the soul. I think I might have mentioned this in another thread but make a workbench. This is more than just a thing to work on. This is your creative centre and you'll love it. Trust me. In fact there is a whole workbench subculture thing if you go on Pinterest. There is some mad brick on there.
Look at this beauty -> https://www.jack-bench.com/

Well I rather fcuked up back in September and brought a work bench. I am doing a raspberry trellis for the garden we have some plants. I am keen on doing a shuffleboard as I love those sort of pub games.

You may mean savant rather than autistic.

Savant is a particularly gifted individual with some kind of disabilility. It occurs in autism. Kids who can draw complex scenes from memory etc.

ASC - autistic spectrum condition is different. Aspergers is a form of autism. You wouldn't notice someone with aspergers as particularly different to anyone else; they are high functioning individuals who are not always the best socially, but have a marked attention to detail. They also don't follow the crowd. Because of these triats those with aspergers can be inventors, highly successful biz people, programmers, work in fianance etc etc. At the other end of the spectrum are non-verbal people with autism who struggle to communicate at all.

Chess GMs will tell you, they are defo 'on the spectrum'. As are many techie nerd types.

To focus on the 'objects' of the chess board fits an austistic mind, that can be less inclined to focus on people; and chess at the top level needs to be an obsession. ASC is often associated with having a fixation e.g. for every fact about the Titanic etc.

When I had some time I let myself go into chess, to have a taste of what that is like. I spent one or two solid days immersed in the board. Let it be the world you are focused on. Not something I've done again since. You can see why Bobby Fisher went stark raving bonkers! You need to compliment the intensity with some walks in nature of something.

The best players start young (5 or 6), have a love for the game, exceptional memories, especially spacial memory - to see and recall possitional patterns.

Savant is a particularly gifted individual with some kind of disabilility. It occurs in autism. Kids who can draw complex scenes from memory etc.

ASC - autistic spectrum condition is different. Aspergers is a form of autism. You wouldn't notice someone with aspergers as particularly different to anyone else; they are high functioning individuals who are not always the best socially, but have a marked attention to detail. They also don't follow the crowd. Because of these triats those with aspergers can be inventors, highly successful biz people, programmers, work in fianance etc etc. At the other end of the spectrum are non-verbal people with autism who struggle to communicate at all.

Chess GMs will tell you, they are defo 'on the spectrum'. As are many techie nerd types.

To focus on the 'objects' of the chess board fits an austistic mind, that can be less inclined to focus on people; and chess at the top level needs to be an obsession. ASC is often associated with having a fixation e.g. for every fact about the Titanic etc.

When I had some time I let myself go into chess, to have a taste of what that is like. I spent one or two solid days immersed in the board. Let it be the world you are focused on. Not something I've done again since. You can see why Bobby Fisher went stark raving bonkers! You need to compliment the intensity with some walks in nature of something.

The best players start young (5 or 6), have a love for the game, exceptional memories, especially spacial memory - to see and recall possitional patterns.
I could pick that apart. That's is the wife's field, but fudge it I'm too drunk.

Odd you should post this.

As I have been looking into taking up a new thinking hobby. I play a bit of poker and not to a good level, the wife grew up playing chess so said she would teach me. I am also looking into backgammon, I am worried as I get older if I do not keep my brain active it will go. I have had a brief look at the chess academy website and hope that between that and the wife I will learn the basics at least.

Chess has always appealed to me, used to love it when I saw in movies in New York the old guys playing Chess in the park. I think it is important to keep your brain active and a nice way to be social as well.
I can recommend a good book if you're serious.

I can recommend a good book if you're serious.

I am.

Genuine concerns over forgetting things which I know happens to all of us as we age. Because of an on going health condition I take my physical health very seriously but recently think I neglected brain power.

I left education at 16. I trained as a locksmith in my late 30s but apart from that I can't remember last time I learned a new skill.

I am struggling to even remember which way all the pieces can move. I played online last night against the computer on setting 1, the easiest and I managed to get the computer up to 45 moves before it beat me. Good thing about it is it hives you hints if you need it.

Love the idea of chess the game is a bit of a mystery to me at the moment to be honest. But I am not going to run away from things that intermediate me anymore.

Might be one for the mental health thread but I have spent a life time hiding behind my lack of academic knowledge, being ashamed or embarrassed by it, thinking I'm not good enough or being to scared to try new things and I feel I have missed out on life because of it.

I am.

Genuine concerns over forgetting things which I know happens to all of us as we age. Because of an on going health condition I take my physical health very seriously but recently think I neglected brain power.

I left education at 16. I trained as a locksmith in my late 30s but apart from that I can't remember last time I learned a new skill.

I am struggling to even remember which way all the pieces can move. I played online last night against the computer on setting 1, the easiest and I managed to get the computer up to 45 moves before it beat me. Good thing about it is it hives you hints if you need it.

Love the idea of chess the game is a bit of a mystery to me at the moment to be honest. But I am not going to run away from things that intermediate me anymore.

Might be one for the mental health thread but I have spent a life time hiding behind my lack of academic knowledge, being ashamed or embarrassed by it, thinking I'm not good enough or being to scared to try new things and I feel I have missed out on life because of it.
I meant backgammon, not chess.
https://jellyfish-light.software.informer.com/3.5/
Free PC download. Will whip your arse, but you can learn from seeing the sort of moves the computer does. I still haven't found a decent app based programme.
Backgammon is incredibly easy to learn, but incredibly hard to master. Like I said, if you are interested, I can recommend a book if I can dig it out.
https://ukbgf.com/clubs/

Would be fun to setup a GG backgammon tournament.

Go - chinese board game - is the real head fuk. Seemingly so simple, its at least as complex as chess. Until this year no computer could master it. Google put pay to that ending probably a thousand years of human domination of the ancient game. https://online-go.com/observe-games

We have to stop creating our AI overlords. It won't finish well.
Their not overlords. Far from it. AI is only as good as the ones setting it up. The boss at our AI departement, was working with AI at Google before. They set up a test to see what AI is capable of on its own, without any pre-defined parameters. They made it run through ALL videos on YouTube, and the only thing it was capable of, was recognizing humans and cats.

Their not overlords. Far from it. AI is only as good as the ones setting it up. The boss at our AI departement, was working with AI at Google before. They set up a test to see what AI is capable of on its own, without any pre-defined parameters. They made it run through ALL videos on YouTube, and the only thing it was capable of, was recognizing humans and cats.
I see they have already gotten to you.

That's what it wants you to think.

LOL. I work with ai on a daily basis, and all it can do is compute large amounts of data faster than a human.
It is all a subterfuge.

Seriously though, in about 20 years from now we'll be their slaves if we're here at all. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Combine that with a bit of weaponry and dogs inherit the earth.

LOL. I work with ai on a daily basis, and all it can do is compute large amounts of data faster than a human.
Naive.
It can calculate how we will react to any given stimulus.
It will use us against ourselves.
It will set up rival factions, reds vs blues. It will whip up hate crimes and demonstrations and wars and we will do its bidding.

i'm a betting man and will play cards with anyone with 2 exceptions :

1) i find out they have a photographic mind
2) they're excellent at chess.

Last nights game was a cracker! Some wild play by Carlsen, trying to trick Caruana. His pawn to b5 was genius, but Caruana avoided the trap of taking that pawn with an an-passang move.
Still, Carlsen could have put Caruana check mate before they reached the time extension, but 30. Bd8 was a terrible move and totally wrecked that opportunity.

Back