• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cheatski are still scum

If there are major hurdles why say they are going to approve it?

Because the government here will approve it, but it now needs to be approved by Portugal as well, via it seems the European Commission.
So it's an additional hurdle to get over in a short period of time. Although (as is often the case) the headline of 'major' hurdles doesn't really equate to what's in the article.
I can't see this not being done. Even if not done by 31 May, is there anything to prevent the government extending the licence for another week, if they feel it will give enough time to get the deal over the line? (That may cause an issue for the FA in respect of registrations for European competition, but if all know the deal is going to get done, then just register them and withdraw later if necessary?).

Nice couple of adjacent articles in my newsfeed…

Moscow insiders 'discuss Vladimir
Putin successor

Chelsea: Premier League
approves takeover deal from
Todd Boehly consortium

Premier league approval for the Chelsea deal not exactly news, new owners were never in doubt if not being approved.

It’s the government approval that this all hangs on. And the noises are mixed on that.

Inside the Chelsea Sale: Deep Pockets, Private Promises and Side Deals

https://nyti.ms/3yTz5y0

Completing a deal, though, has proved fiendishly convoluted. The final obstacle to a sale was resolved only this week, when lawmakers in Britain were sufficiently satisfied that a $2 billion loan owed to an offshore trust, believed to be controlled by Abramovich, had been cleared. British government officials then tried to reassure their counterparts in Portugal, which had controversially granted Abramovich a Portuguese passport with a rabbi’s help in 2018, and the European Union, which had imposed its own sanctions on Abramovich in March. Both must also approve the sale because of his Portuguese citizenship.

But the loan was not the only complication faced by Raine, the New York-based investment bank recruited by Abramovich to handle the sale. The agreement with Boehly’s group came with a web of conditions, some set by the British government, some by Raine and some by Abramovich himself, all of them striking in the context of the sale of a sports team.

All four prospective suitors identified by Raine as serious contenders — Boehly’s group; one headed by the British businessman Martin Broughton that included Williams and the Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton among its partners; another financed by Steve Pagliuca, the owner of the N.B.A.’s Boston Celtics; and one from the Ricketts family, who control baseball’s Chicago Cubs — were asked not only to pay a jaw-dropping price for the team but also to commit to a number of pledges, including as much as $2 billion more in investments in Chelsea.

The club’s suitors were told, for instance, that they cannot sell their stake within the first decade of ownership and that they must earmark $125 million for the club’s women’s team; invest millions more in the club’s academy and training facilities; and commit to rebuilding Stamford Bridge, Chelsea’s aging West London stadium.

So...with this sale of Chelski going through, and the owners promising to spend big, where do we think Chelski will go in terms of title challengers etc?
Or are they a thing of the past now they haven't got a free monopoly chequebook?

So...with this sale of Chelski going through, and the owners promising to spend big, where do we think Chelski will go in terms of title challengers etc?
Or are they a thing of the past now they haven't got a free monopoly chequebook?

They'll spend big this summer. Get the fans onside. But after that they'll most likely make the club selfsustainable.

They'll spend big this summer. Get the fans onside. But after that they'll most likely make the club selfsustainable.

Interesting; i wonder if part of doing that will be to specifically try and gazump us with our targets...they won't be able to do that with the top 2 and we could probably represent the next best thing in that regard (plus the local rivalry/hatred)

Interesting; i wonder if part of doing that will be to specifically try and gazump us with our targets...they won't be able to do that with the top 2 and we could probably represent the next best thing in that regard (plus the local rivalry/hatred)

Dunno. They seemed keen on rice. They have to replace their defence and also a striker for lukaku. We'll see.

Hopefully we get bastoni and kostic done quickly.

Dunno. They seemed keen on rice. They have to replace their defence and also a striker for lukaku. We'll see.

Hopefully we get bastoni and kostic done quickly.

I must admit I did not rate Rice, but that was based on his England performances, he has impressed me this season and I was pleased to see him chatting with our players after our games with them, that sort of personality does not look like a fit for Chelsea or Woolwich where their players seem to have a clause in their contract to act as complete idiots when our name is mentioned.

I must admit I did not rate Rice, but that was based on his England performances, he has impressed me this season and I was pleased to see him chatting with our players after our games with them, that sort of personality does not look like a fit for Chelsea or Woolwich where their players seem to have a clause in their contract to act as complete idiots when our name is mentioned.

He started at chelsea and is a fan.

Professional athletes will play for anyone if the monies right, what they did as a kid means nothing. I would have signed for Woolwich in a heartbeat.

I'm not even sure what you are trying to argue. All the reports were that chelsea wanted him and that was his preferred destination. With the takeover i don't know if that is still the case or not.

Back