1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Chairman Message

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by ricky2tricky4city, 19 May 2013.

1. africanspurs

africanspurs Justin Edinburgh

i see what you mean.

but again...why did he do it that season and not now

2. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Steffen Iversen

Sending a message to Modric that he was going nowhere.
    Sending a message that we weren't everyone's feeder club.

I dont think he needs to do the same to Bale. He has a year old kid and doesnt want to uproot his family right now.

3. indianspur

indianspur Guest

because Modric really really wanted to go. Levy had to put his foot down. Up to now, there is no sign that Bale wants to go. If in the middle of the summer Bale goes to Levy and demands to move to Utd, City or Real, then Levy has to decide how to deal with it by categorically saying no, like with Modric, or giving into the players wishes and then trying to obtain the best price

4. africanspurs

so if he he doesnt need to do it with bale because bale

doesnt want to uproot his family
    bale has a 1 year old
    and bale knows the deal and basically doesnt want to leave

then why not just say it anyway? it wont make a difference to bale as he doesnt want to leave BUT he will be sending a message to the media and other clubs that we will not be giving away our best guy...

?

5. braineclipse

braineclipse Andy Thompson

First of all that statement was not made in the end of season report from Levy I think, it was made at a later stage during the transfer window. I couldn't find the direct link right now, but I'm quite sure that was the case. In other words still time to get the statement you want ;)

What else is different? I don't know. Bale is a different kind of player and he's attracted even more attention from even bigger clubs with a history of bidding even more for players than what we got for Modric. Perhaps Levy is thinking that if we get some kind of Ronaldo-esque sized bid we might change our mind.

There's also a point that reportedly we're currently in negotiations with Bale and his people about a contract extension, this might not be the best time to be making categorical statements about his future in public.

6. africanspurs

but levy made that statement BEFORE modric indicated publicly about wanting to move. quite a bit before the summer actually. so modric didnt have to, at least to us fans, show any sort of willingness/eagerness to move. Levy came out with it before hand

7. Spaceman

Spaceman Ruel Fox

Hopefully we get some top draw signings in early

8. harr1984

harr1984 Steve Carr

Levy knew well before Modric went public he wanted to leave. Modric went public to up the pressure....

9. braineclipse

I can think of many words to describe Levy, complacent isn't one of them ;) Don't worry mate, he'll be on the case to do what's best for the club.

Levy doesn't have a history of doing his business in public or his transfer dealings through the media. The time he did release the statement about Modric it was after Chelsea repeatedly ignored our responses to them and they kept showing an interest (tapping up?) in the player when we had told them in private that it wasn't going to happen.

10. africanspurs

the first part is incorrect. it was made before the season finished in one of the match day programs. so thats out for me

the second point of yours is more what i am thinking , which basically means that we can envisage ourselves 'needing the money' for whatever reason. that year of the modric chase...he also said "we do NOT need the money"...big statement and fighting words after fighting words. amazing stuff. i dont think that level of resolve is quite there this time round

last point would make sense, but surely thats a baseless rumour? I hope you are right

11. africanspurs

i can believe this, but i can only make some of my points based on some factual things twisted with my opinions. if people are using the fact that bale has not publicly come out with anything then i can only use the fact that modric didnt either.

in truth, we dont know what bale is up to

12. africanspurs

sorry mate, but you are wrong about this

where is wriggly when you need him. he was in the thick of that thing...memory of an elephant that guy has

13. braineclipse

I stand corrected on the first point then.

I don't know if it's a question of resolve, it comes down to an evaluation of the situation I think. Levy won't be making business decisions based on resolve I think, but based on what's best for the club.

Not even a baseless rumour, just my speculation. That's why I said "might"

14. Midfield Maestro

Midfield Maestro Gheorge Popescu

Levy should introduce a hefty new salary for Bale, and guarantee at least two world class signings to show we will go forward.

15. Spursalot

Spursalot Jimmy McCormick

Where is this crazy amount of money going to suddenly appear from though?

16. Modric THFC

Another thing to consider is Bale doesnt have an agent who sees him as his meal ticket.
    Both Berbatov and Modric had small time agent with them being their main client.
    Bale is with the same agency as Ashley Cole, Darren Bent, Glen Johnson, Joe Hart and a host of top premier league players.
    His agent wont be trying to get a big one off transfer done.

17. braineclipse

I googled it and although the link to the statement on the official site was dead the articles I found reporting statement were all from the 18th or 19th of June.

They all contained the following quote:

It could very well be that he said something similar somewhere else at the end of the season, but the articles I've found seem to be from June.

Edit: I found the statement on the way back machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20110621030215/http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/statement-by-club-chairman-daniel-levy-180611.html

Statement in full:

That was the statement I was referring to earlier, but like I already said there could have been similar statements made earlier that season that I don't remember and can't find right now. Levy did in this one say that "as I have said previously" so there might be something at an earlier date.

Last edited: 19 May 2013
  18. africanspurs

hmmmm

in that case his agent isnt that good, or cut throat enough IMO

the dingdong heads get the best deals

19. Modric THFC

New TV deal means we should have an extra 30m or something similar.

20. Midfield Maestro

Midfield Maestro Gheorge Popescu

hmm good point, but we must have at least £30 mil in the bank to spend?!