1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

CB Worries

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Grays_1890, 20 Sep 2020.

1. Bishop

Bishop Jose Dominguez

They may have similar names but they have totally different playstyles and outcomes.

Ndombele was bought to create as was GLC it's obvious as day. If we had wanted a direct Eriksen replacement we would have gone for Fernandez instead. The plan was clear as day, play two creative CM/AMs neither as pure a playmaker as Eriksen but both having better workrate and together you have all together more creative side rather than one that relies on a single player (Eriksen era Spurs).

2. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Jimmy Neighbour

The problem here is that is would be very hard indeed to find a player not far off of Hojbjerg's level who wouldn't mind being a rotation option.

braineclipse likes this.
  3. Raziel

Raziel Pedro Mendes

Not sure it would be that hard (outside the fact that I don't think they are that many of his type in total)

- Similar target, a "lower level" club player who would see Spurs as a step up
    - I think if we had a 2nd PEH type, against top teams Jose would play both with just one of Ndombele/Gio in front

I suspect we will end up with someone slightly different profile but still at least a defensively minded CM

4. Finney Is Back

So who then?

5. Raziel

Raziel Pedro Mendes

No idea, but PEH wasn't someone on my radar either ..

I think the club actually has targets/ideas both short and long term, I suspect re CM Winks/Sissoko will likely be on the could go list next summer with Skipp expected back +1 (so keeping homegrown and freeing up a foreign spot)

6. Raziel

Raziel Pedro Mendes

I think you are being very kind to both current Eriksen and Eriksen of past two years (prior to that, yes was an amazing player)

To me what you have to look at with Gio is how he ups the pace of the game in addition to getting the ball forward, I'd argue that the one common denominator to brick Spurs performances under Poch and Jose is tempo, when we play slow and sideways we are crap, when we up the tempo and get the ball forward quickly we look a top level side.

We will have to see with the goalscoring, could be the injuries (groin), could be a confidence thing, time will tell. good news is unlike Eriksen's time here, we can swap between him and Ndombele when it isn't working for one of them.

7. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Paul Robinson

McGinn.

8. billyiddo

billyiddo Erik Thorstvedt Staff Member

Says who?

Because we sold our playmaker, didn't buy a like for like replacement and we have not once set up to play that way since Eriksen left the club

9. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Jimmy McCormick

[​IMG]

:D

10. StephenH

StephenH Paul Stewart

Good post!

11. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

I think there is too much focus on one player replacing another. There are similarities between Lo Celso and Eriksen. There are similarities between Ndombele and Dembele. But there are also differences, and similarities between those two and other players.

The important thing is that we get a well working team now, not who replaces who.

12. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Jimmy McCormick

My thoughts exactly

13. Bishop

Bishop Jose Dominguez

Ndombele is closer to Eriksen than he is Dembele. Thinking they are the same player as some are just because of a similarity in name and skin colour is foolish.

billyiddo likes this.
  14. billyiddo

billyiddo Erik Thorstvedt Staff Member

In fairness there were YT highlights which showed him as a Dembele with better end product from his time at Lyon so i can see why that comparison exists but it should be clear by now that he's more a creative player who has more strings to his bow than vice versa.

However i didn't see much that showed Lo Celso as a playmaker so not sure where AD got that impression from

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  15. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Edgar Davids

It’s clear he’s not a patch on Dembele defensively and he’d have to improve to play in that base of the midfield role that Dembele did for us.

i agree when he came here there were the Dembele comparisons, but it’s become obvious they were very wide of the mark. Ndombele is much better offensively and Dembele much better defensively.

16. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Vic Buckingham

Hence why Dembele played in a DM role alongside another DM and Ndombele doesn’t

Finney Is Back likes this.
  17. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan Vedran Corluka

Did he come to us as Eriksen's replacement? Just because some thought that, does not mean that's the way it is.
    The stat certainly sounds bad. But how many of those games were sub appearances? Or had him taken off early due to fitness issues?
    And how many shots has he actually had in those appearances?

Maybe a baller can get away with it because his role is not to score but to do other, different, but still important, things

18. Finney Is Back

What do you think Villa would price him at?

19. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Paul Robinson

He's 26....about £30m

Maybe they'd be interested in Winks?

20. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

"For an attacking midfielder"

According to transfermarkt he played quite a lot of his games as a central midfielder. That's where I remember him thriving last season as well.

Bedfordspurs likes this.