• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

CB Worries

Grays_1890

Colin Calderwood
So what are we going to do about our CB issues?

No combination seems to be working and TBH it seems the area that could derail any upward curve

Surely we need to look at bringing in someone established now with that level of class already in the tank

We’ve been linked with at least one most of the window, today was a very poor display.

I thought Sanchez had improved but he was back to his worst today, he’s poor on the ball and seems to panic under pressure. I suggested he split the Toby Dier axis to give us some recovery pace but if it’s solely for athleticism we might as well play Sissoko or Moura there.
Dier is ok when the ball is there to be won and competent in possession but does seem to be making the small adjustments when players take him on or the balls flight requires it.
There was a moment today where Sanchez got bamboozled by Ings ahead of the near post and then Dier was the next player out to him, when I would have expected him to be protecting the area in the centre of the goal.
Sanchez and toby looked ok for Diers ban, you get the impression that neither will do well if not getting a run of games. Need Tanganga back ASAP, ideally partnered with an experience centre back. I’d sell Sanchez as he might have some value but it seems Mourinho likes Dier who probably deserves some more time given his lack of first team experience in that position.

Lloris was back to his old tricks today, a great save, inexplicable header that he got away with, a couple of flaps, more saves and a pass to Sanchez by the corner flag that was only ever going to cause trouble. Thought Davies did well defensively today, could he be an option?

First a foremost the defence needs protecting. Any defence will give up opportunities if they are under constant pressure due to the players around you constantly giving away the ball.

tickle my balls with a feather, a lot of our problems over the last few seasons is that our CM is wide open, Jose is trying to fix that ( work in progress). Could our CB choice be better? of course but in all honesty no CB pairing is going to look good with a open gate in front of them.

Has to be Toby + 1 for me. I know he was partly at fault for Everton’s goal, but IMO he’s been far more consistent than Sanchez or Dier before that.

Toby + Sanchez was the better of the pairings towards the end of last season but we need wholesale changes in this position really.

Don't expect 2 new CBs in this season but if we could get that Dias as a start that would be a huge step forward.

First a foremost the defence needs protecting. Any defence will give up opportunities if they are under constant pressure due to the players around you constantly giving away the ball.

For me PEH has to do what he did 2nd half and just sit there and do that, we dont need him tearing off here there and everywhere so I agree totally.

I really thought Sanchez had the tools to do well here but he just does not seem to click into place now and Dier, well I wont say anymore than he is poor

tickle my balls with a feather, a lot of our problems over the last few seasons is that our CM is wide open, Jose is trying to fix that ( work in progress). Could our CB choice be better? of course but in all honesty no CB pairing is going to look good with a open gate in front of them.
But when they do have to defend they look jittery and far from convincing. Of course they could be overworked and having to deal with players piling in from all directions.

I've gone early on it (something that will please you:D) but PEH ain't part of that fix.

For me PEH has to do what he did 2nd half and just sit there and do that, we dont need him tearing off here there and everywhere so I agree totally.

I really thought Sanchez had the tools to do well here but he just does not seem to click into place now and Dier, well I wont say anymore than he is poor

Sanchez is such a disappointment for me. I don't see him making it because his bad performances are fudging abysmal. Dier I have some hope for but he was worse than Sanchez today.

We weren't good at CB at all today. I take the point above about CM but Dier and Sanchez made a lot of poor mistakes. Their first goal had nothing to do with CM. It was a ball over the top, Dier loses his man and gets caught under it. Sanchez then provides no meaningful cover because he didn't show enough urgency. I don't blame Sanchez massively for the goal because he had a man and had to react to Dier's clusterfudge but he didn't cover himself in glory.

I'm really hoping Tanganga can step up. He had a mare against Wolves last year but other than that looked excellent. Maybe him and Toby can be our new King and Naybet if we don't sign anyone.

Toby + Sanchez was the better of the pairings towards the end of last season but we need wholesale changes in this position really.

Don't expect 2 new CBs in this season but if we could get that Dias as a start that would be a huge step forward.
I was really pleased for Dier to look like he was over his illnesses and have a new mission set out for him by Jose BUT make no mistake this really is last chance salon for him at Spurs. I can't see where we go with him if his form level doesn't find a good level of consistency.

:)
But when they do have to defend they look jittery and far from convincing. Of course they could be overworked and having to deal with players piling in from all directions.

I've gone early on it (something that will please you:D) but PEH ain't part of that fix.

Bingo. As for PEH i will not make a firm decision on any player after 2 games.:)

Oh come on .....he's just Freund

th

It was, and I say that’s as someone who defends dier. That goal today was a number of mistakes. Midfielders not working in tandem (really poor from Tubby and Holdberg) and very very weak from Dier .great pass over the top though

All the senior CBs have at least 1 major flaw In them

Toby - leap/Pace
Dier - Pace/Positioning
Sanchez - concentration/Positioning/Weak
Foyth - concentration/passing/Dives in

We need at least 1 in - If not I would go with Toby and Tang

This is where the amount of games and rotation will be more of a pain, how often are we going to play the same CB partnership every game to develop the partnership.

Toby and Sanchez are what I would call our first choice at the moment.

First and foremost the defence needs protecting. Any defence will give up opportunities if they are under constant pressure due to the players around you constantly giving away the ball.

It isn't about that, though.

Sanchez - keeps going in aggressively out on the right, gets absolutely mugged by Ings, Djenepo, and goddamn Stuart Armstrong three times in one game. Nothing will change that - it isn't about tactics, it's about his ability to tackle, which is poor.

Dier - lost in no man's land for the goal (simple ball over the top), and then almost gives away another when he horribly miscontrols a simple intercepted pass and puts it straight into the path of a Soton player.

Neither of those are tactical failings, they're just failures on the part of the players, pure and simple. I agree with @Grays_1890 - our CBs are a genuine concern.

Back