• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cars

Telsa Model Y - talk to me? Thoughts?
SUV is the perfect application for battery power.

They're usually used to take the kids to school and a short commute. The weight doesn't need to be low in either sense, they'll never be used on a track, etc.

All the reasons car lover's don't like electric cars are already present in SUVs

the Model S is way over priced for me. the Model 3 is doable but need more boot space, hence why i am considering the Y.

As mentioned before was ready to pull the trigger on the X5, but should i really be buying an ICE car right now if i can get get a Tesla for around the same numbers?

That's dependent on whether the Y drops soon and what sort of cost it comes in as...

the Model S is way over priced for me. the Model 3 is doable but need more boot space, hence why i am considering the Y.

As mentioned before was ready to pull the trigger on the X5, but should i really be buying an ICE car right now if i can get get a Tesla for around the same numbers?

That's dependent on whether the Y drops soon and what sort of cost it comes in as...
Claiming $52k so probably the same in £.

Balances well against the standard versions of most mid size SUVs at that price. Sensible money's in a GLE63s if you absolutely have to have an SUV, but I suspect that's not what you're looking for.

I’d be tempted by a Tesla just for the electronic package, it is bar far the best in the world right now. Tesla are the only manufacturer to have single system that controls all functions of the vehicle. What puts me off them is the build quality and standard of the materials used.

I’d be tempted by a Tesla just for the electronic package, it is bar far the best in the world right now. Tesla are the only manufacturer to have single system that controls all functions of the vehicle. What puts me off them is the build quality and standard of the materials used.
Teslas Service is tinkle poor! I don't know how it is in the UK, but Norway has the most Teslas per capita in the world, and their service network is absolutely ridiculously poor! My neighbour has one, and his has been undrivable due to various errors more time than it has been driveable, and at times he has been waiting over 6 months for them to fix it! Add to that, the car has to be transported 500 km every time there's something wrong with it. And there are stories like that almost every week in the papers, and they have sky high numbers of complaints compared to any other car make.
And tesla are actually talking about REDUCING the number of dealers and service partners!
Until they have a network of approved service/repair shops that's comparable to any other car maker, I'll never even consider buying a Tesla. Now the big car manufacturers are coming strong, and that will either crush Tesla, or they have to expand their network.

basically am i crazy for investing in an ICE car right now?
You can't ever think of buying any kind of car as investing. They'll all bleed you dry and then sell for next to nothing.

My thoughts are going the other way - this will be my.last chance to own a ridiculous ICE car so I might as well take it. I'll be changing mine in a year or so - I just need to decide between a V8 turbo and a V12.

You can't ever think of buying any kind of car as investing. They'll all bleed you dry and then sell for next to nothing.

My thoughts are going the other way - this will be my.last chance to own a ridiculous ICE car so I might as well take it. I'll be changing mine in a year or so - I just need to decide between a V8 turbo and a V12.

Seems like next emissions update is 2025/26 so should get at least 5 years of no drastic issues affecting diesels. Some cities are talking about banning but imagine majority will have to pay an additional fee, however hoping most will tow the Euro6 line which the X5 2019 already meets.

Seems like next emissions update is 2025/26 so should get at least 5 years of no drastic issues affecting diesels. Some cities are talking about banning but imagine majority will have to pay an additional fee, however hoping most will tow the Euro6 line which the X5 2019 already meets.
I'm done with diesels. I used to do a lot of miles, but now I commute about 12 miles each way at most.

I drive to London every now and then when I stay, and the odd drive to the airport/tunnel. I can live with 10-15mpg for now

Diesels are dirty polluting things. Best avoided! @Diamond Lights why not check out Nolimits Polstar tip?

If you have potential to charge at home (at least a drive way), then an electric (or hybrid) makes a lot of sense.

With your current/last car how many journeys have you done that are over 300 miles?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
How many EVs do you know of with a range of 300 miles? Not including lab tests, real world only.

Diesels are dirty polluting things. Best avoided! @Diamond Lights why not check out Nolimits Polstar tip?

If you have potential to charge at home (at least a drive way), then an electric (or hybrid) makes a lot of sense.

With your current/last car how many journeys have you done that are over 300 miles?

I'm happy to save the planet if i could buy a decent car on par with what petrol/diesel offers in a similar price. I do not drive 300 miles regularly at all, mostly town and odd motorway etc, and have a drive and garage to park and charge. So electric makes sense here. However...

The issue is the cost of a base electric vehicle can get me an absolute beast of an X5.

However, will i regret it in 3 years?

How many EVs do you know of with a range of 300 miles? Not including lab tests, real world only.

Okay so real world 200-250 miles. Don’t know about you but that’s me covered. Even driving to France you don’t want to be driving much more than that without breaks.

Tbh the only EV that looks fun is the Polstar 1, a hybrid with 80 miles of electric range. But for that money you could get 3 other cars. (Or Taycan)

I'm happy to save the planet if i could buy a decent car on par with what petrol/diesel offers in a similar price. I do not drive 300 miles regularly at all, mostly town and odd motorway etc, and have a drive and garage to park and charge. So electric makes sense here. However...

The issue is the cost of a base electric vehicle can get me an absolute hunk of burning love of an X5.

However, will i regret it in 3 years?

Polestar 2 - more unique noteworthy looks than an X5 which is same old same old.

4.7 seconds to 60 which is bonkers for a car of that size and weight.

Gov grant takes off a few £k

Costs f all to run

3 years of warranty

Made by Volvo.

Okay so real world 200-250 miles. Don’t know about you but that’s me covered. Even driving to France you don’t want to be driving much more than that without breaks.

Tbh the only EV that looks fun is the Polstar 1, a hybrid with 80 miles of electric range. But for that money you could get 3 other cars. (Or Taycan)

Which ones are they?

Teslas Service is tinkle poor! I don't know how it is in the UK, but Norway has the most Teslas per capita in the world, and their service network is absolutely ridiculously poor! My neighbour has one, and his has been undrivable due to various errors more time than it has been driveable, and at times he has been waiting over 6 months for them to fix it! Add to that, the car has to be transported 500 km every time there's something wrong with it. And there are stories like that almost every week in the papers, and they have sky high numbers of complaints compared to any other car make.
And tesla are actually talking about REDUCING the number of dealers and service partners!
Until they have a network of approved service/repair shops that's comparable to any other car maker, I'll never even consider buying a Tesla. Now the big car manufacturers are coming strong, and that will either crush Tesla, or they have to expand their network.

On the nail. You are as right about this as you are wrong about Kane plotting a move.

Tesla seems very good at building batteries, charging stations and infotainment, but very bad at building and maintaining actual cars.

Telsa Model Y - talk to me? Thoughts?

Musk will probably charge you now for KITT-style conversations and neural interfaces into the controls, on the basis that it’s coming some day as an OTA update.

But currently, no, neither feature is available on the Model Y.

You really are agonising over this purchase, though. Are you asking the right place? Have you been starting Sissoko threads on Pistonheads?

A Norwegian magazine just did a range test of 29 electric cars at the same time, and all of them actually drove further than specified my the manufacturer. Test was done on a mix of City driving in Oslo, motorway and highway, including climbing two mountain passes. Conditions where good with temperatures between 15 and 20. None of the cars where pre-heated before starting.
Number to the left is range specified by manufacturer, and to the right actual range in the test.
Screenshot_20200622-135001_Chrome.jpg

Back