• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cars

You’re ruining the car thread for me!! I come here to see pictures or stories about old cars!!

If it has to go down the route, what is the future of the petrol and diesel cars they are already owned? Cease production, then incentives to scrap / part ex? Increased running costs through more road and fuel taxation?
What will happen to the real classics, will they become more in demand, but with increased running costs?

The magic power storage methods that don't yet exist kick in?
Mass power storage is a nascent industry but there plenty of promising work ongoing and it will get there. The discussion around balancing a grid with existing tech, emerging tech and temp solutions (nuclear) would take too long to go into. Maybe a discussion not really for this thread either.

What if 80-90kph isn't nearly fast enough?

What range do you get at 90-100mph?
90-100mph would use the battery up far quicker I imagine, or at least in my car it would. Newer cars I couldn't say. Mine is a runaround car really and not made for long-distance driving.

90-100mph would use the battery up far quicker I imagine, or at least in my car it would. Newer cars I couldn't say. Mine is a runaround car really and not made for long-distance driving.
I know that Model Ss are somewhat known for going into cool down mode halfway around the Nurburgring.

Mass power storage is a nascent industry but there plenty of promising work ongoing and it will get there. The discussion around balancing a grid with existing tech, emerging tech and temp solutions (nuclear) would take too long to go into. Maybe a discussion not really for this thread either.
That sounds like a lot of maybe, possibly, some day.

Probably a little soon to be switching people over to cars that run on hope.

The torque, especially from standing, is something really special.

Problem is, they're a bit of a one trick pony in that sense. The weight is too much and too high for them to be properly nimble around the twisty bits, the motors aren't powerful enough to make do so they have to be 4WD (no, computer adjusted balancing doesn't count), and they can't last a lap around a long track or 3 around a short one.

They're fine for short-medium distance cruising though. I haven't driven one for more than a few minutes but the fact the Tesla won't even publish range charts for the speed I drive concerns me.

What speed do you do on motorways?

I haven't seen data for the i-Pace, but the Model S appears to be losing range significantly at anything above 75 and much quicker above 80. Then the mong king sues anyone publishing articles about the range at real world speeds so we don't know what they can do at 90-100.

The I-Pace handling seems great to me, it’s very easy to take round corners. To be fair, the flashest cars I had beforehand were a bottom end 316 and C220 so am not particularly clued up about how proper sporty cars should behave. Motoring journalists tend to feel similarly about the I Pace though, and put it down to JLR’s investment in a dedicated chassis.

And yes, I haven’t tested the range properly on normal motorway driving (78mph with cameras, which is pretty much all of them these days, 90 otherwise), but I don’t do that much these days - and hardly any at the moment of course.

The I-Pace handling seems great to me, it’s very easy to take round corners. To be fair, the flashest cars I had beforehand were a bottom end 316 and C220 so am not particularly clued up about how proper sporty cars should behave. Motoring journalists tend to feel similarly about the I Pace though, and put it down to JLR’s investment in a dedicated chassis.

And yes, I haven’t tested the range properly on normal motorway driving (78mph with cameras, which is pretty much all of them these days, 90 otherwise), but I don’t do that much these days - and hardly any at the moment of course.
I fancy an i-Pace myself, down the road.

I'm here all week.

really need some detailed knowledge on technology regarding F-Pace vs X5, any ideas?

It seems like the infotainment system on the BMW is more advanced, anyone care to lump in their knowledge on this matter? Looking at a 19 Plate on F-Pace vs X5 and after being sure on the F-Pace (looks nicer, beasty engine and drive), i'm now heading towards X5 because the internal systems so advanced...

really need some detailed knowledge on technology regarding F-Pace vs X5, any ideas?

It seems like the infotainment system on the BMW is more advanced, anyone care to lump in their knowledge on this matter? Looking at a 19 Plate on F-Pace vs X5 and after being sure on the F-Pace (looks nicer, beasty engine and drive), i'm now heading towards X5 because the internal systems so advanced...
BMW's system is definitely better than Jag's - they've been behind the pack for a while and stayed there.

How much are you likely to use that though?

My phone has a better satnav than even the best and newest car. It's where all my audio comes from and it controls my calls too. I only see the car's system when I'm messing with the aircon.

Far more important for me that the quality of sound is good. Neither car has much of a stock system but both are perfectly good with the uprated version.

Edit: One thing some Jags do that I wish I had is remote cooling/heating from your phone. So you can always get into an air-conditioned car. Not seen that on BMWs yet.

If it's tech you want though, go for a Merc

Last edited:
BMW's system is definitely better than Jag's - they've been behind the pack for a while and stayed there.

How much are you likely to use that though?

My phone has a better satnav than even the best and newest car. It's where all my audio comes from and it controls my calls too. I only see the car's system when I'm messing with the aircon.

Far more important for me that the quality of sound is good. Neither car has much of a stock system but both are perfectly good with the uprated version.

Edit: One thing some Jags do that I wish I had is remote cooling/heating from your phone. So you can always get into an air-conditioned car. Not seen that on BMWs yet.

If it's tech you want though, go for a Merc
Is always the correct answer.

thanks both. Had a C-Class Merc, don't fancy the GLE, from most accounts the X5 the better drive. The GLE definitely more 'luxury' but I read that most of the infotainment and system in BMW is better than the Merc.

Also going with the size, one thing the X5 has which is better than the Jag (although not sure how much usage i'd get, the Mrs however...) is the Park Assistant. Given the X5 is a mammoth, having that auto park feature and not even needing to shift gears (in the Jag you need to drop between D and R manually) could be a decent boost.

Agree on the SatNav i'll just use Google Maps through Apple Carplay anyway, but again, X5 has more intuitive and faster responding screen (Jag has a bit of lag) and also several models have wireless charging in X5 which Jag also does not offer strangely.

The 993s really are beautiful things. Like a fine watch. Aesthetically they are pretty sorted for me. Though more modern than the 964 (which suffer oil leaks) it is by no means a modern car. Big steps forward we’re made from 90s to naughties cars. While I love the aesthetic, I didn’t instantly fall in love with driving a 993. Maybe it would grow on me.

The earlier 911s are so elementary they are quite special to drive. No electronic aids or computers. The steering is so light when moving despite no power steering - all the weight is behind you. Lots of feedback and very visceral. I am gagging to get out in it and do some trips.

View attachment 8732

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
The all weight in the back is also why early 911's are often found parked into trees, fences, poles, other cars or any other obstacles.

The all weight in the back is also why early 911's are often found parked into trees, fences, poles, other cars or any other obstacles.

Sadly too many sit in garages. And those that are driven are quite restrained. 10 years ago these old cars were cheap and fun, you could spank them. Now they tend to be garage queens.

I have got the back moving about a little, it’s prt of the cars charm. Will try not to wrap it around a tree.

Question is, do I do it up and make it perfect - at which point I won’t want to drive it, or leave it ratty and not worry about stone chip...

This kind of thing. Easier to sell in neural colours
View attachment 8752

Last edited:
Sadly too many sit in garages. And those that are driven are quite restrained. 10 years ago these old cars were cheap and fun, you could spank them. Now they tend to be garage queens.

I have got the back moving about a little, it’s prt of the cars charm. Will try not to wrap it around a tree.

Question is, do I do it up and make it perfect - at which point I won’t want to drive it, or leave it ratty and not worry about stone chip...

This kind of thing. Easier to sell in neural colours
View attachment 8752

Make it look like it has come out of the factory, not show quality, but so it’s got that new car look.

Then spank it’s arse and dive it like it was designed to be driven.

Back