• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cars

BTW, ever seen one of those with a VAG 1.8T in it? Seems to be the engine of choice for throwing into just about anything.

Aren't they kit cars? Any interest in building one yourself? Then could put in whatever crazed engine you wished :) Cornering must be something. So flat, low and presumably light too.

Aren't they kit cars? Any interest in building one yourself? Then could put in whatever crazed engine you wished :) Cornering must be something. So flat, low and presumably light too.
It needs to fit and face/turn in the right direction, but almost anything could work. It's a matter of lightness in a car like that - that's why so many people use the VAG 1.8T as it's light, cheaply repaired and produces huge numbers of horses with some fairly mild mods.

It's not a project for me though. My eldest uses my garage as an archery range, so whatever I'm working on has to be in a state to be wheeled back out at reasonably short notice. Can't have a whole project like that, as much as it would be fun.

Last edited:
Need to get your eldest into mechanics rather than archery. Unless he can catch you a rabbit for tea [emoji3]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
When the zombie apocalypse happens he'll be very useful - hunting, fishing, etc. Would be able to keep us in food by himself.

I'm fairly sure he'll be into mechanics soon. He's just started karting and is really enjoying it - fixing your own kart comes with the territory so if he keeps it up we'll be working on stuff together.

Getting very, very seriously tempted by this:
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/113594/for-sale---unique-mk3-330whp-toyota-mr2-super

I have such a soft spot for the MK3 MR2 (and the others for that matter) that I'd love to have one for the track. That is getting into Elise money though and that would make more sense, even if that money only gets the Rover powered version.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/113594/for-sale---unique-mk3-330whp-toyota-mr2-super

I have such a soft spot for the MK3 MR2 (and the others for that matter) that I'd love to have one for the track. That is getting into Elise money though and that would make more sense, even if that money only gets the Rover powered version.
I liked the MR2s, I think my car leanings are from a point time when I was too young to drive, then afford, then afford to get insured on them!
I have a 944 S2 now, (the body shop guy I use locally has one as a track car!) was close to getting a 911 993 pre lockdown but bottled it as thought it would be harder to move the 944 on and have whims about a VW camper that may have to wait until I move out of london so I can have some proper garage space to store it as well as the regular cars. Although not a performance car I really regret selling my MK1 VW Sportline, was due to lack of use when I first moved to London from MK (The one thing I miss about MK is the ability to not have to drive 25 mins to get somewhere without a 50mph limit!)

We are going to have to get these two together when they are done, I have a soft spot for the 3.2 flat 6, I like the sound of what you are doing.

Mines all in bare metal at the moment, still being cut and strengthened

This is the chassis cage, it’s designed to stop the engine twisting the chassis

3e12dfa35f3fc02c536503330456ec4f.jpg

0910a9d127e05b5638aaf20c3570b496.jpg

d733155ebc5c0fb798311ba5bf0170a1.jpg

3ca01f2fa1e857f45190b65ada79280b.jpg

And a bit of bling, some custom AP Racing forged callipers and 12inch discs
Do I need to be on a pc to see these links as not working for me on my iPhone?

I liked the MR2s, I think my car leanings are from a point time when I was too young to drive, then afford, then afford to get insured on them!
I have a 944 S2 now, (the body shop guy I use locally has one as a track car!) was close to getting a 911 993 pre lockdown but bottled it as thought it would be harder to move the 944 on and have whims about a VW camper that may have to wait until I move out of london so I can have some proper garage space to store it as well as the regular cars. Although not a performance car I really regret selling my MK1 VW Sportline, was due to lack of use when I first moved to London from MK (The one thing I miss about MK is the ability to not have to drive 25 mins to get somewhere without a 50mph limit!)
Mine too.

When I was a kid the MK1 MR2 was the closest thing I ever saw to a proper sports car. The Mk3 was the first mid-mounted RWD car I ever owned and I used to love chucking it around all the back streets of London to get around the traffic.

Mine too.

When I was a kid the MK1 MR2 was the closest thing I ever saw to a proper sports car. The Mk3 was the first mid-mounted RWD car I ever owned and I used to love chucking it around all the back streets of London to get around the traffic.
There’s something about flip up headlights, I remember being impressed with the aesthetics of a Volvo 480 too! This is my 944, since lockdown and being unable to get anything delivered I’ve volunteered to do the weekly shop!
B2D3F024-DB23-46C5-89CD-63FC224DCC26.jpeg

There’s something about flip up headlights, I remember being impressed with the aesthetics of a Volvo 480 too! This is my 944, since lockdown and being unable to get anything delivered I’ve volunteered to do the weekly shop!
View attachment 8730
Very nice - clearly looked after too.

Pop up headlights were what always got me too - looked like something out of a sci fi film back then.

Have a soft spot for 993s. I bought one off that TV show wheeler-dealers. But they had sold it to someone else who'd not wanted it, then did after they sold it to me. A mess. It would have cost 19k. Now they are around 40-50+ Was a high miles green/turquois targa. They'd fitted racing suspension - as they have to do something for the show - but it didn't suit the car. Had a terrible ride. Still a little gutted to this day. Would love a yellow 993 :)

Have a soft spot for 993s. I bought one off that TV show wheeler-dealers. But they had sold it to someone else who'd not wanted it, then did after they sold it to me. A mess. It would have cost 19k. Now they are around 40-50+ Was a high miles green/turquois targa. They'd fitted racing suspension - as they have to do something for the show - but it didn't suit the car. Had a terrible ride. Still a little gutted to this day. Would love a yellow 993 :)
I’m still annoyed that I didn’t get one when they were 15-20k, I could have taken a loan out and still been quids in. I think aesthetically the 964 is my slight favourite but I tend to towards the later models of the style I like to get the most driver aids, so my mk1 golf was actually a 91 and the 944 is 1990. The 996 and 997 are fine in their own right and might even be a better ride but I think it has to be air cooled to be a true 911. The 993 I was closest to getting was also a Targa, it’s quite a different approach to have the sliding glass rather than the physical top.

That’s a very nice MR2, the maintenance might be quite high making an Elise an even better option.

But it’s a track prepped MK3 MR2[emoji16]

That’s a very nice MR2, the maintenance might be quite high making an Elise an even better option.

But it’s a track prepped MK3 MR2[emoji16]
Shouldn't think the maintenance would be too bad. It would only be to get to/from a track and around it for the day.

Edit: And that money only buys a K Series Elise and I don't think owning anything with one of those in will ever be low maintenance.

The other cost issue to think about is if (when) I have an off. Mr2 parts are plentiful and cheap, a new Elise wing would buy a new MR2 shell.

Last edited:
I’m still annoyed that I didn’t get one when they were 15-20k, I could have taken a loan out and still been quids in. I think aesthetically the 964 is my slight favourite but I tend to towards the later models of the style I like to get the most driver aids, so my mk1 golf was actually a 91 and the 944 is 1990. The 996 and 997 are fine in their own right and might even be a better ride but I think it has to be air cooled to be a true 911. The 993 I was closest to getting was also a Targa, liked the sliding glass approach rather than the faff of physically removing the top.

Sign of a proper GGer...even your dream car looks like it’s been covered in custard ;):D

Wow! Any pics? Love the style of those vans. Is it going to be kitted out for trips inside?

Funnily enough have a 1975 911 I am slowly doing up/resto modding now. Adding chrome trim, will get a respray and a new interior (not touching the impact bumpers). A later 3.2 engine and gear box has been fitted. It’s relatively light - more so than the later 3.2 cars - for an old girl she’s not too slow.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Does the '75 have those quite protruding bumpers with the black rubber in the middle? Is it possible to replace those with some normal chromed ones?

Does the '75 have those quite protruding bumpers with the black rubber in the middle? Is it possible to replace those with some normal chromed ones?

Impact bumpers! You can remove them, and add a long bonnet as well which look amazing. But its expensive. Have to weld a whole new nose etc. The end result can be very nice.

cae7a9a438563ec1379122c78f3da79d_XL.jpg

I won't keep my one forever. Its a targa, and ultimately I'd like a coup. So plan to make it look awesome without spending too much, use it for a year or two and punt it on. The next one will have a long nose added and the cleaned up rear.

PS-Retro-R.jpg

Shouldn't think the maintenance would be too bad. It would only be to get to/from a track and around it for the day.

Edit: And that money only buys a K Series Elise and I don't think owning anything with one of those in will ever be low maintenance.

The other cost issue to think about is if (when) I have an off. Mr2 parts are plentiful and cheap, a new Elise wing would buy a new MR2 shell.

I don’t think it will be a cheap car to run, the engine, gearbox and suspension will need regular rebuilds depending on how much track time it sees but your right still cheaper than running a track focused Elise.

Reading through the spec again, if it’s as sorted as it sounds then you could do a lot, lot worse.

Book a test ride at a circuit.

Back