• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cars

My understanding of the P11d side is that if it can drive on electric only, the BIK is based on range. You really need to be up around 70-100 miles electric only to get the good rates.

Otherwise a hybrid is based on the standard measures but with the obvious cO2 savings.

Someone I work with who has very mild performance requirements saved around £10k a year in tax going fully electric.

Found this https://www.carwow.co.uk/best/best-company-cars BIK for a Range Rover Evoque P300e hybrid is 6 to 10%. What does that mean in the real world? I have to pay 6-10% tax? Never understood how this work, I know most avoid company cars now.

The bigger issue is I can't find a hybrid car I am excited by! A Range Rover is about the closest, but it's no fun to drive. BMW 3 series hybrid is no doubt exceptional. I just don't want one!

I might hire some cars for trips I have coming up. Ferrai FF would be fun. Or the S60 Coup to see if I like it.

How is your Aston treating you?

Found this https://www.carwow.co.uk/best/best-company-cars BIK for a Range Rover Evoque P300e hybrid is 6 to 10%. What does that mean in the real world? I have to pay 6-10% tax? Never understood how this work, I know most avoid company cars now.

The bigger issue is I can't find a hybrid car I am excited by! A Range Rover is about the closest, but it's no fun to drive. BMW 3 series hybrid is no doubt exceptional. I just don't want one!

I might hire some cars for trips I have coming up. Ferrai FF would be fun. Or the S60 Coup to see if I like it.

How is your Aston treating you?
So the assumed benefit of the car is that percentage of the new value every year. You then pay the tax on that benefit at your tax rate.

So (using round numbers) if the car is worth £100k and the BIK rate is 10%, your calculated benefit is £10k per year. So if you're a 40% tax payer you pay £4k extra tax per year.

Don't forget the fuel charge. If your business pays for private fuel, you also have a calculated benefit at a percentage of £24.5k to pay tax on too.

The FF is lovely, my son is nagging me to get one next. The Taycan looks like an interesting electric, with enough room for kids without being an SUV.

The Aston just makes me grin like a simpleton all the time. Every now and then I forget I own it, walk out of the office and get excited when I see it. Servicing and repairs are horrible, last service was over £1k and I barely get 16mpg most of the time. But I wouldn't change it - especially not when that V12 shriek echoes back from a wall.

So the assumed benefit of the car is that percentage of the new value every year. You then pay the tax on that benefit at your tax rate.

So (using round numbers) if the car is worth £100k and the BIK rate is 10%, your calculated benefit is £10k per year. So if you're a 40% tax payer you pay £4k extra tax per year.

Don't forget the fuel charge. If your business pays for private fuel, you also have a calculated benefit at a percentage of £24.5k to pay tax on too.

The FF is lovely, my son is nagging me to get one next. The Taycan looks like an interesting electric, with enough room for kids without being an SUV.

The Aston just makes me grin like a simpleton all the time. Every now and then I forget I own it, walk out of the office and get excited when I see it. Servicing and repairs are horrible, last service was over £1k and I barely get 16mpg most of the time. But I wouldn't change it - especially not when that V12 shriek echoes back from a wall.
I lied. Checked the screen today and I've averaged 12.5mpg since buying it.

Cheers. So I'd be paying around 3 to £6k a year on a Range Rover hybrid. The company would get VAT off the car?

The FF is the natural successor to your Aston, very similar back seats layout. I'm not a massive fan of the FFs exterior, but what a machine!

I get around 16mpg. The 911 which is 30 odd years older has better mpg!

Yes its a little chavy, but this below would be massive fun. Insane torque, super car acceleration. But can also be a boring family estate when you need it to be.

Cheers. So I'd be paying around 3 to £6k a year on a Range Rover hybrid. The company would get VAT off the car?

The FF is the natural successor to your Aston, very similar back seats layout. I'm not a massive fan of the FFs exterior, but what a machine!

I get around 16mpg. The 911 which is 30 odd years older has better mpg!

Yes its a little chavy, but this below would be massive fun. Insane torque, super car acceleration. But can also be a boring family estate when you need it to be.

Try this: https://comcar.co.uk/companycar/tax/select/

You should be able to customise it as required. Many cars have their options list on there too - saves you getting a brochure and adding it up yourself.

If money were no object, then there's nothing really wrong with Audis. My issue is that they include a brand premium in their pricing that simply isn't there. No kid ever said "When I grow up I want to own an Audi" yet they charge as if they do. There's no justification for a Mercedes level brand premium on their cars.

Was ready to pull the trigger on a Panamera Hybrid. A VAT car on the company it worked out quite reasonable, costing me around 3-4k a year in BIK. But I wasn't that into the car and you have to buy it sight unseen at the moment (no test drive, click and collect). So back to plan B. I have a choice of hiring one of these bits of metal, which should I go for?
  • Porsche Panamera 4
  • Rolls Royce Ghost
  • Range Rover Vogue or Sport SVR
  • Aston Martin DB11 (small back seats tho)

Last edited:
Was ready to pull the trigger on a Panamera Hybrid. A VAT car on the company it worked out quite reasonable, costing me around 3-4k a year in BIK. But I wasn't that into the car and you have to buy it sight unseen at the moment (no test drive, click and collect). So back to plan B. I have a choice of hiring one of these bits of metal, which should I go for?
  • Porsche Panamera 4
  • Rolls Royce Ghost
  • Range Rover Vogue or Sport SVR
  • Aston Martin DB11 (small back seats tho)
The obvious answer is DB11, but how old are your kids?

Go for the roller [emoji16]

This was the poker that got away https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en_GB/Panamera-4-EHybrid-278776 With VAT off and hybrid tax breaks it was a pretty good deal. Wasn't sure about the colour...or the car to be honest. Just too big and not that fun at lower speeds. Great motorway car and lovely cabin.

Couldn't find an s63 in brown leather, but this is quite appealing https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...Trim=S63 V8&include-delivery-option=on&page=2

But the car I am most drawn to is this one It's not opulent, its smaller, its interior is functional, and it drives like a Ferrari :) Only thing that one is missing is the upgraded sound system.

Would you buy a car sight-unseen!? Maybe it would be okay from a Porsche dealer. They sell it to you with 2 years warranty and their Germanic inspection checks. But from a average Jo's garage, you'd at least want to walk round the car and drive it?

It's definitely a 2+2. There's a sweet spot when they first sit forward facing and before they get tall where they'd fit.

She's still in a baby seat, and the boot has to take a pram (stroller whatever it is). Have a funeral in Dorset, so hired a nice place by the sea for a weekend beforehand. Think I'm even within covid regs. I have not left London for over a year!

This was the poker that got away https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en_GB/Panamera-4-EHybrid-278776 With VAT off and hybrid tax breaks it was a pretty good deal. Wasn't sure about the colour...or the car to be honest. Just too big and not that fun at lower speeds. Great motorway car and lovely cabin.

Couldn't find an s63 in brown leather, but this is quite appealing https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...Trim=S63 V8&include-delivery-option=on&page=2

But the car I am most drawn to is this one It's not opulent, its smaller, its interior is functional, and it drives like a Ferrari :) Only thing that one is missing is the upgraded sound system.

Would you buy a car sight-unseen!? Maybe it would be okay from a Porsche dealer. They sell it to you with 2 years warranty and their Germanic inspection checks. But from a average Jo's garage, you'd at least want to walk round the car and drive it?

The Alfa would be a good choice, enough practicality but apparently a lot of fun, go for it, you can always stick a decent sound system in it

Couldn't find an s63 in brown leather, but this is quite appealing https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102269507335?model=S CLASS&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=n165da&radius=1500&sort=relevance&body-type=Coupe&price-from=500&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&aggregatedTrim=S63 V8&include-delivery-option=on&page=2

The Alfas have great engines and everyone seems to think they drive very well.

The thing that's always put me off is that the interior is just not the same as Aston/Bentley/RR etc - it's not really even up to Merc standard. Be a little careful of the size too - they're only about the size of a 3 Series/C Class which I find is a little small with kids.

The Alfas have great engines and everyone seems to think they drive very well.

The thing that's always put me off is that the interior is just not the same as Aston/Bentley/RR etc - it's not really even up to Merc standard. Be a little careful of the size too - they're only about the size of a 3 Series/C Class which I find is a little small with kids.

It is a driver's car, you don't buy it to luxuriate in (that would be the s63). The Alfa's ride is surprising however, for a car with such performance it's smooth and good for long journeys. But I agree. Red leather inserts lift the cabin, and that actually is the one must-have option for me (only a £300 option when new). I like smaller cars, for the time being it is a positive living in the city.

Not sure what I'll end up with. Bit of an identity question. The Panamera felt a bit old and giving up. The Alfa a little boy racer and similar to my current daily. The Panamera was an effort to go (semi) electric, but I'd have had to charge it on the street. I will likely scratch the Alfa itch, as NL01 says it's practical: fair boot, 4 doors, relatively normal suspension...but can also be huge amounts of fun. It has a dialled in feeling that you get from a Ferrari, but with real-world usability. As you know its engine, chassis, steering etc are setup by ferrai's engineers.

Can't wait to do some proper trips. @NoLimits01 did you have to re-booked your continental trip?

Couldn't find an s63 in brown leather, but this is quite appealing https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102269507335?model=S CLASS&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=n165da&radius=1500&sort=relevance&body-type=Coupe&price-from=500&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&aggregatedTrim=S63 V8&include-delivery-option=on&page=2

Out of those 3 it has to be the S63 surely.

3 very different cars. What appeals to you about the merc?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

No mater what cars I own I seem to always come back to Mercedes. They ouze quality from the sound of the door shutting to to the feel and weight of the steering wheel they just seem to get these things right.

Out of the 3 you have picked out there I will say that it's only the Mercedes that you will think back on in 20 years and remember with much fondness.

The porker is nice inside out and probably built very well... but it's not a 911. The Alfa, may drive and sound great but lacks that little bit of class, and is unlikely to be a joy to live with in anything approaching the medium term.

The Mercedes though has that rubber necking appeal, sounds naughty, is a nice place to sit and will be as good as to drive as any else on the road.

No mater what cars I own I seem to always come back to Mercedes. They ouze quality from the sound of the door shutting to to the feel and weight of the steering wheel they just seem to get these things right.

Out of the 3 you have picked out there I will say that it's only the Mercedes that you will think back on in 20 years and remember with much fondness.

The porker is nice inside out and probably built very well... but it's not a 911. The Alfa, may drive and sound great but lacks that little bit of class, and is unlikely to be a joy to live with in anything approaching the medium term.

The Mercedes though has that rubber necking appeal, sounds naughty, is a nice place to sit and will be as good as to drive as any else on the road.

There is no doubt Mercades are the purveyors of comfortable, beautifully equipped cars. And most of the time you're not using the car to drive fast, so I agree there is every logic to get in one. I'm not always taken by the way they look from the outside. With the exception of the current Mercades GT. A beautiful sports car I would take over a 911. The Alfa is certainly memorable though. Rare, distinctive and unusual - mercs are just too good and common - and you'd remember the way the Alfa drives.

The hybrid Panamera is all about its full efficiency. Most journeys are quite short, and its electric engine and battery would cover you with silent, serene driving most of the time. And also alow some more visceral fun driving on longer trips, though its weight (like the mercs) means it is never going to be a true drivers car. Hybrids are the immediate future imo. Can take them on a long trip without concern and planning. No range anxiety. Day to day you have 100+ mpg as most of the time you're using electric power.

Back