• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cars

StephenH

David Ginola
Hi

Im about to retire my old BMW 5 Touring 20 y.o and looking to replace it with possibly a new Passat or Golf SE Estate.

Im looking at

1.4/1.5 Petrol
DSG
SE spec

Would like
Auto wipers and lights
Start button on centre console
Electric tailgate

any advise appreciated

Hi

Im about to retire my old BMW 5 Touring 20 y.o and looking to replace it with possibly a new Passat or Golf SE Estate.

Im looking at

1.4/1.5 Petrol
DSG
SE spec

Would like
Auto wipers and lights
Start button on centre console
Electric tailgate

any advise appreciated
I've tried both the Golf and the Passat, and just bought a Passat. The Passat has pretty much all of that in the standard equpment, except electric tailgate which is an option. Personally i would go for the R-Line at least the 150PS engine. The 125 is just a little to small for that car. There is only about £1k difference between the 1.4 150PS and the 1.8 180PS engine, and the latter really suits the car.
The Passat has better comfort than the Golf, and the space, especially in the back seat, is phenomenal in the Passat. The boot size isn't much different, but the Passat is quite a bit wider.
Both are excellent cars, and it's a matter of price vs what you need, but imo the Passat is a class above in every aspect.

I've tried both the Golf and the Passat, and just bought a Passat. The Passat has pretty much all of that in the standard equpment, except electric tailgate which is an option. Personally i would go for the R-Line at least the 150PS engine. The 125 is just a little to small for that car. There is only about £1k difference between the 1.4 150PS and the 1.8 180PS engine, and the latter really suits the car.
The Passat has better comfort than the Golf, and the space, especially in the back seat, is phenomenal in the Passat. The boot size isn't much different, but the Passat is quite a bit wider.
Both are excellent cars, and it's a matter of price vs what you need, but imo the Passat is a class above in every aspect.

Is yours DSG and Petrol?

I’m not sure about the Gearbox, I’ve read it can be jerky/a lag when pulling out of a side road.

What’s your view?

I'm on my 3rd Passat company car, 2 estates and a saloon. Estates are brilliant, saloon was ok, but it was one of these dumb eco 1.4 engines. No pull at.
I get to choose my car so I'm always trying to keep the cost down because I get hammered on tax. Even though it's costing me a fair amount more this year I went for the auto. Never thought I'd say this but it's fantastic.

I'm on my 3rd Passat company car, 2 estates and a saloon. Estates are brilliant, saloon was ok, but it was one of these dumb eco 1.4 engines. No pull at.
I get to choose my car so I'm always trying to keep the cost down because I get hammered on tax. Even though it's costing me a fair amount more this year I went for the auto. Never thought I'd say this but it's fantastic.

Was that a petrol 1.4?

The golf estate is just about the size I need. And I do not fancy a Ford or Vauxhall!
I have some “unique” needs one being a low drivers seat to road height as ‘practical’.
But sadly the likes of a Porsche would not be practical ;)

What would be the Skoda version of a Golf estate be?

Last edited:
The golf estate is just about the size I need. And do night fancy a Ford or Vauxhall!
I have some “unique” needs one being a low drivers seat to road height as ‘practical’.

Octavia I believe

The golf estate is just about the size I need. And do night fancy a Ford or Vauxhall!

Octavia would be comparable to Golf. It's kind of in the middle between Golf and Passat in size. DSG is brilliant. MUCH better than a "normal" automatic. Skoda are good cars as well, but there is a difference in suspension and other pieces. There was more thumping and banging coming from the suspension in the Skoda compared to VW, but not a massive difference. My Passat is a diesel with 177PS, 4wd, DSG.

The golf estate is just about the size I need. And I do not fancy a Ford or Vauxhall!

Have you looked at the Seat Leon estate?

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/seat/leon-st

The same chassis as the Golf but a tad better value imho, so long as you can live with the slightly cheaper plastics used on the interior.

I've got a 1.8TSI 180 petrol powered hatchback with the 7 speed DQ200 DSG gearbox and find it to be a nice combination of performance and economy at that price point. There's also a more fuel efficient 1.4TSI 150 or the Cupra 2.0TSI 300 which also benefits from the newer and smoother DQ250 DSG and has the option of AWD.

I sat in a Skoda once in about 1997, I can still remember it.

It had a MASSIVE Skoda badge on the steering wheel.

Ha ha! Mental. Why would you do that?! What idiot at Skoda thought "I know how to make my car sell... stick a huge reminder on the steering wheel that it's a Skoda"!

Also it had green something... green seatbelts or striping or pedals or something. Just terrible.

c’mon scara, you’re a married man, you have no more choice in such decisions than I do

I just turn up and sign stuff
On the contrary.

I played the game properly - I bought my wife a car first, then I got to go and choose pretty much any car that has 4 doors for myself.

Back