• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carlyle takeover, was Cain Hoy takeover

Re: Cain Hoy takeover

Newspapers frequently correct to their online content if they are told it is incorrect. The Independent and Standard do not have enough journalists to fact check their content or ask people/companies mentioned in stories if they are correct. If Carlyle's press office or solicitors contacted the Standard and told them that it was incorrect, they would probably correct it without asking any further questions.

Absolutely. It could easily be that Carlyle Group contacted the Independent / Evening Standard to tell them that their information was incorrect.

But braineclipse's suggestion was that Carlyle Group would have used their influence to have their name withdrawn from the article even though the information was correct. And I don't think that either publication would do such a thing.

I agree that there is little chance of an asset stripper taking over but also feel a leveraged take over is unlikely. Re the man u example they had a far higher income than us and we need to spend a ****load on the new stadium to make any consortium's investment profitable something they didn't have to contend with. The most likely option is for new owners with sufficient money available to fully fund the stadium. Speculate to accumulate and all that!

Let's hope so!

Gutter Boy makes a good point.

Ever since re-watching Wall Street a couple of months back I have been rather wary of Carl Icahn style asset stripping, I know it's an easy scare tactic to use when defending Levy/ENIC but it is true, you literally have to be careful what you wish for, a new player or even manager is one thing but a new owner is totally another. If they turn out to be the wrong owner/chairman then it could be years until you reverse the mistakes.

Sugar, may not have been the ideal chairman but he took over Scholar's mess saving the club in the process. Levy may not be perfect but he took over when it a mess on the pitch, wasn't until his 5th season that we finished 'top 6'.

In defense of Levy he has done wonders at this club over all, especially when you consider the internal and external circumstances, financially speaking. The best training facility in the country, a big new stadium in the pipeline (halted because of an on going CPO) and regular top 6 finishes was something we could have only dreamt of 10 years ago.

Mate, as I said before, unless Levy sells to a gooner who is happy to make a big loss purely to ruin Spurs, there is not a chance that anyone will buy Spurs purely to sell off our assets piecemeal.

THFC is a company whose value as a whole is considerably greater than the sum of its parts.

I fundamentally disagree, I really don't think buying an investment for 13 years, spending the money on the training facilities, buying all the property around the ground (the scale of the WHL area redevelopment) in any way makes sense for someone "purely" in it for the money/investment (I promise you, Levy could make better use of the money spent with Spurs and getter a better return).

Is ENIC a business? = absolutely, and a very well run one
Is it fair to portray them as some kind of profit mongers off of Spurs = I have to say no, not only does the actions say different, the business logic contradicts their actions if that was the case.

I'm not sure about that.

ENIC's total outlay for Spurs is less than £150m.

When the club is eventually sold, it will likely go for something between £500-750m - of which, some 90% (£450-675m) will go to ENIC.

By most measures, that is an outstanding ROI - far outperforming the average investment.

But I do agree with your general point, that ENIC aren't just focused on the bottom line. Certainly as far as Daniel Levy is concerned, there is a genuine love for the club too.

I'm not sure about that.

ENIC's total outlay for Spurs is less than £150m.

When the club is eventually sold, it will likely go for something between £500-750m - of which, some 90% (£450-675m) will go to ENIC.

By most measures, that is an outstanding ROI - far outperforming the average investment.

But I do agree with your general point, that ENIC aren't just focused on the bottom line. Certainly as far as Daniel Levy is concerned, there is a genuine love for the club too.

... And a social responsibility to the community in the area too.

... And a social responsibility to the community in the area too.

That's a very good point, actually.

One of the most overlooked achievements of Levy's time at the club is how Spurs has completely transformed its relationship with the community. In Sugar's time, it was very much "them and us". What little community programme there was seemed to be barely more than a token gesture. It was a similar story with the club's charitable work.

Now, Spurs has one of the biggest, best funded and most successful community and charity programmes in the country which has won multiple awards. It's something that most fans don't know about or even care about but it's something that we should be proud of.

Absolutely. It could easily be that Carlyle Group contacted the Independent / Evening Standard to tell them that their information was incorrect.

But braineclipse's suggestion was that Carlyle Group would have used their influence to have their name withdrawn from the article even though the information was correct. And I don't think that either publication would do such a thing.
If their anonymous source retracted their statement then they'd have to.

I don't think dodgy sponsorship is a realistic option. City got pulled up on that, as did PSG.

Did they get pulled up on the sponsorship? I thought they violated debt levels because they weren't allowed certain adjustments (something to do with player contracts signed before some date) and weren't allowed some intellectual property deals. I don't think City's main sponsorship deals were challenged, although perhaps I have misremembered.

Back