• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carlyle takeover, was Cain Hoy takeover

Dont care where the money comes from. I want Spurs to be bought and become the next Emirates Marketing Project/Chelsea

If you cant beat them join them!

Dont care where the money comes from. I want Spurs to be bought and become the next Emirates Marketing Project/Chelsea

I wouldn't get your hopes up, I think that it is very unlikely that any investment company is going to run the club like either City or Chelsea.

Re: Cain Hoy takeover

Does he really need a source? Wow. I'm stunned you've asked that! As Enic are an investment company I thought every Spurs fan knew that this was the case. I've known it for the past 8 years (at that point I was only 13!) but didn't really care as a shiny new stadium, champions league football and being left in profit didn't seem a bad deal to me and still doesn't.

Of course Lewis is in it purely to make money, no one's questioning that. But the poster also included Levy, a Spurs fan, in that statement. Someone who by implication just might be in it for more than solely the bottom line. To coin your own phrase, I thought every Spurs fan knew that this was the case.

Interesting that potential buyers are quoted as saying they would want to keep him. So somewhere down the line we'll find out which of us turns out to have egg on our faces.

You won't get another investor like that in the EPL - there's no room for one. There's no point trying to dope your way to success, when there's already two people at it with unlimited resources to continually outdo you.

There's about an 85% that a prospective owner will be an asset-stripper, and a 15% chance they'll be a sustainable owner like ENIC.

I would be shocked if a company like that couldn't exert considerable pressure on a newspaper. I also wouldn't be shocked to see a newspaper take the easy way out on something like this, doesn't seem like the kind of issue where taking a stand is particularly called for.

You seem to think that if they aren't interested they could fire off a warning, why couldn't they do the same if they were interested?

What seems very unlikely to me is that a third, unknown, party wanted Carlyle's name pulled. Unless it's a publicity stunt, but in that case I don't think the story would surface like this.

If Carlyle Group had the kind of ubiquitous influence that you suggest they have, then they would never have been the subject of the considerable number of negative stories about them that have featured in various media.

Furthermore, the UK press are not known for backing down so very easily unless the legal case against them is compelling. And in this instance, if Carlyle Group are indeed interested in buying Spurs, then the newspapers concerned have only reported the truth. In which case, there is no legal need for those newspapers to retract their earlier story in any way. The fact that they have retracted their earlier story, then, very much suggests that it was, at least in so far as it mentioned Carlyle Group, inaccurate.

You won't get another investor like that in the EPL - there's no room for one. There's no point trying to dope your way to success, when there's already two people at it with unlimited resources to continually outdo you.

There's about an 85% that a prospective owner will be an asset-stripper, and a 15% chance they'll be a sustainable owner like ENIC.

Unless the prospective owner in question is an Arsenal fan with an obsessive hatred of Spurs and money to burn, then there is a 0% chance that that owner will be an asset stripper.

For the very simple reason that for the money it would take to persuade Levy and Lewis to sell, there is no way that the new owner could make anything other than a big loss by selling off the club's assets piecemeal.

THFC is a company whose value as a whole is considerably greater than the sum of its parts.

There is a danger that future owners could use Spurs as a cash cow (which isn't the same as asset stripping) - to fund a leveraged buyout like the Glazers at Man Utd or simply to fund the owner's personal account - but I have just about enough faith in Levy's love for the club and his desire to be remembered for a positive legacy to believe that he will try to find a buyer who can take the club forward.

Other than that, we can't rule out altogether the possibility that we might be bought by an individual or consortium that have big plans for us. There will be ways and means in which they can help hugely - not least by funding the construction of the new stadium.

If Carlyle Group had the kind of ubiquitous influence that you suggest they have, then they would never have been the subject of the considerable number of negative stories about them that have featured in various media.

Furthermore, the UK press are not known for backing down so very easily unless the legal case against them is compelling. And in this instance, if Carlyle Group are indeed interested in buying Spurs, then the newspapers concerned have only reported the truth. In which case, there is no legal need for those newspapers to retract their earlier story in any way. The fact that they have retracted their earlier story, then, very much suggests that it was, at least in so far as it mentioned Carlyle Group, inaccurate.
Newspapers frequently correct to their online content if they are told it is incorrect. The Independent and Standard do not have enough journalists to fact check their content or ask people/companies mentioned in stories if they are correct. If Carlyle's press office or solicitors contacted the Standard and told them that it was incorrect, they would probably correct it without asking any further questions.

Unless the prospective owner in question is an Arsenal fan with an obsessive hatred of Spurs and money to burn, then there is a 0% chance that that owner will be an asset stripper.

For the very simple reason that for the money it would take to persuade Levy and Lewis to sell, there is no way that the new owner could make anything other than a big loss by selling off the club's assets piecemeal.

THFC is a company whose value as a whole is considerably greater than the sum of its parts.

There is a danger that future owners could use Spurs as a cash cow (which isn't the same as asset stripping) - to fund a leveraged buyout like the Glazers at Man Utd or simply to fund the owner's personal account - but I have just about enough faith in Levy's love for the club and his desire to be remembered for a positive legacy to believe that he will try to find a buyer who can take the club forward.

Other than that, we can't rule out altogether the possibility that we might be bought by an individual or consortium that have big plans for us. There will be ways and means in which they can help hugely - not least by funding the construction of the new stadium.

I agree that there is little chance of an asset stripper taking over but also feel a leveraged take over is unlikely. Re the man u example they had a far higher income than us and we need to spend a ****load on the new stadium to make any consortium's investment profitable something they didn't have to contend with. The most likely option is for new owners with sufficient money available to fully fund the stadium. Speculate to accumulate and all that!

I think it's possible to dope your way to equality, a couple of years out of Europe because of ffp could even be worth it if you are building a long term platform for success

Any new owner is more likely to take money out than putting any in, or even running the club as we are now. Even if they financed a stadium they might want to get some of their money back through dividends or the money will be a loan to the club.

the only real guarantee of it working is a billionaire owner "buying" an intangible benefit, not thinking about the money, but what the association does for their reputation

football is like f1 now, if you want to win you have to throw money away, you can't be successful and sustainable

the only real guarantee of it working is a billionaire owner "buying" an intangible benefit, not thinking about the money, but what the association does for their reputation

football is like f1 now, if you want to win you have to throw money away, you can't be successful and sustainable

They can't just throw money around any more though. It has to be done in accordance with FFP, so basically one of their other companies must sponsor us with absurd amounts.

They can't just throw money around any more though. It has to be done in accordance with FFP, so basically one of their other companies must sponsor us with absurd amounts.

you can, you just have to pay the price, no CL and a pointless fine, you take the pain bring the infrastructure on line then reap the success later on

or exactly as you say, you do what City do, get another company owned by the same bloke to overpay sponsorship

or get another club owned by the same guy to pay your players wages from another country

they'll always be ways around it

Any new owner is more likely to take money out than putting any in, or even running the club as we are now. Even if they financed a stadium they might want to get some of their money back through dividends or the money will be a loan to the club.

Surely there is little point in them running the club as it is now given the amount they will have to pay up front to buy the club from enic?
One way or another the new stadium has to be built to make any current investment profitable. I bet you're right with how it would be financed, but I would hope, however unlikely that they would go for capital growth and a long term strategic plan rather than crippling the club with interest payments. Short term yes they will get income from the club but if they play the long game there is much more to be gained from selling an established cl club with a 60k stadium instead of a second rate club with crippling stadium debts

post16.jpg

United_Defense.gif

Surely there is little point in them running the club as it is now given the amount they will have to pay up front to buy the club from enic?
One way or another the new stadium has to be built to make any current investment profitable. I bet you're right with how it would be financed, but I would hope, however unlikely that they would go for capital growth and a long term strategic plan rather than crippling the club with interest payments. Short term yes they will get income from the club but if they play the long game there is much more to be gained from selling an established cl club with a 60k stadium instead of a second rate club with crippling stadium debts

Hicks and Gillett wanted a buyer that not only payed them an inflated amount for the club, but also cleared the debts they had leveraged on the club IIRC.

Gutter Boy makes a good point.

Ever since re-watching Wall Street a couple of months back I have been rather wary of Carl Icahn style asset stripping, I know it's an easy scare tactic to use when defending Levy/ENIC but it is true, you literally have to be careful what you wish for, a new player or even manager is one thing but a new owner is totally another. If they turn out to be the wrong owner/chairman then it could be years until you reverse the mistakes.

Sugar, may not have been the ideal chairman but he took over Scholar's mess saving the club in the process. Levy may not be perfect but he took over when it a mess on the pitch, wasn't until his 5th season that we finished 'top 6'.

In defense of Levy he has done wonders at this club over all, especially when you consider the internal and external circumstances, financially speaking. The best training facility in the country, a big new stadium in the pipeline (halted because of an on going CPO) and regular top 6 finishes was something we could have only dreamt of 10 years ago.

Back