• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Car leather care

scaramanga

Paul Miller
Staff member
Any recommendations as to what to use to keep car leather in good condition?

I bought some Autoglym leather care yesterday on the basis that I don't know much and it looks expensive (therefore must be good). Since then I've read that it softens the leather and makes it go baggy. This is apparently bad on seats but really bad on the stretched leather over the dash and similar parts.

So what should I use to stop it darkening and cracking?

I bought some Autoglym leather care yesterday on the basis that I don't know much and it looks expensive (therefore must be good). Since then I've read that it softens the leather and makes it go baggy. This is apparently bad on seats but really bad on the stretched leather over the dash and similar parts.

Not everything expensive is good, Sissoko being the best example.

As for leather and keeping it clean you want to get a fat naked man to sit on it and rub his bum back and forth, the skin acts as a great buffer.

How old?

I use Swiss wax leather care kits. It's not cheap, but the kit lasts for years. If treated a couple of times a year, the leather will look brand new for many many years.

First give the leather a good rinse with a foam based leather rinse. Use a soft brush and make it foam properly and wipe off. Then take about 1 t-spoon of winegar and mix with 1/2 litres of water, use a spray bottle and apply lightly on the area you just rinsed. This is to neutralize the soap. Wipe off with a clean cloth (not microfiber). Then apply leather lotion with a sponge. Let it soak into the leather for about an hour, and then wipe off.

I use Swiss wax leather care kits. It's not cheap, but the kit lasts for years. If treated a couple of times a year, the leather will look brand new for many many years.

First give the leather a good rinse with a foam based leather rinse. Use a soft brush and make it foam properly and wipe off. Then take about 1 t-spoon of winegar and mix with 1/2 litres of water, use a spray bottle and apply lightly on the area you just rinsed. This is to neutralize the soap. Wipe off with a clean cloth (not microfiber). Then apply leather lotion with a sponge. Let it soak into the leather for about an hour, and then wipe off.
That's some serious care, thanks.

Is that ok for leather on the dash/doors too?

Not everything expensive is good, Sissoko being the best example.

As for leather and keeping it clean you want to get a fat naked man to sit on it and rub his bum back and forth, the skin acts as a great buffer.
When I said leather, I wasn't talking about your mum (for once)

New, but I want to keep it that way
My Sons 5 has a fault on the leather interior 8 weeks old. Not a happy bunny. And it has a crap ride, so poor for the money.
My old bus is cloth....still as good as new (truth is Mrs didnt like leather)

That's some serious care, thanks.

Is that ok for leather on the dash/doors too?
Works on all types of leather. The important thing is to stop the leather from drying out. The swisswax lotion keeps it soft and has protection from UV rays. I've also heard good things about the products from "Chemicals guys", but haven't tried them myself.

My Sons 5 has a fault on the leather interior 8 weeks old. Not a happy bunny. And it has a crap ride, so poor for the money.
My old bus is cloth....still as good as new (truth is Mrs didnt like leather)
I just chopped in my 5 and I'll never get another. It was incredibly reliable - did 208k miles over 10 years, but the ride is neither comfortable enough to be a cruiser nor sporty enough to be a sports car.

In an attempt to cover all angles they've done none of them well.

I cant find Swisswax is it Swissvax?

Just use it sparingly, it will be fine. It is good stuff. Don't glob it on, put it on your cloth and work it into the cloth, then wipe that cloth on a fat naked man's backside and get him to rub his bum on your dashboard.

I just chopped in my 5 and I'll never get another. It was incredibly reliable - did 208k miles over 10 years, but the ride is neither comfortable enough to be a cruiser nor sporty enough to be a sports car.

In an attempt to cover all angles they've done none of them well.

That’s some mileage, mines barely runin when compared to yours and mine is much older.
Now got a problem with mine stalling think it’s an automatic choke problem.

That’s some mileage, mines barely runin when compared to yours and mine is much older.
Now got a problem with mine stalling think it’s an automatic choke problem.
If you've got one of their 6 pot diesels it'll run forever.

Mine spent most of its life at or near the redline with an upgraded map on it and ran as well as the first day.

If you've got one of their 6 pot diesels it'll run forever.

Mine spent most of its life at or near the redline with an upgraded map on it and ran as well as the first day.

Not a diesel fan, mind never driven one.
My car is adapted for me to drive thus is a total pain and hassle to change.
I’m be grudgingly looking at a low mileage petrol 3 auto (has to be auto). This stalling is a pain for me. Goes fine but after a ten minutes or so if your stationary it dies grrrrr
What you got now?

Not a diesel fan, mind never driven one.
My car is adapted for me to drive thus is a total pain and hassle to change.
I’m be grudgingly looking at a low mileage petrol 3 auto (has to be auto). This stalling is a pain for me. Goes fine but after a ten minutes or so if your stationary it dies grrrrr
What you got now?
I went a bit silly and got a Ghibli. Last chance to own something like that without it looking like a mid-life crisis according to my wife.

How much are the conversion costs? Can you convert any auto?

Maserati, they look lovely.
Conversion was £1k c1997
auto yes. very simple conversion. Raise back of seat (to take the rake out) and extended foot pedals.
I need to get a manual wheelchair in back and as low seat entry as possible.
Thinking about the whole car 'change thing' gives me the the right hump, basically can't be arsed with all the hassle.
My old bus is tired but it does all I want a car to do. Goes well and is comfortable! But 20 yo.!!! (only <50k milage:rolleyes:)

Back