• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Capello's Russia

He's opted for Pavel Pogrebnyak over our beloved Pav!? Now I'm no follower of Russki footy, but seems a tad odd to me!
Pav hasn't played a lot in Lokomotiv due to some injuries during season and strong competition for a striker spot. As result he hasn't hit any kind of world-cup form.

does arshavin no longer feature either?
Thankfully Arshavin didn't and doesn't feature in Capello's team. He is also used as a sub in Zenit.

Pav hasn't played a lot in Lokomotiv due to some injuries during season and strong competition for a striker spot. As result he hasn't hit any kind of world-cup form.

Thankfully Arshavin didn't and doesn't feature in Capello's team. He is also used as a sub in Zenit.

Looking at the stats, I think Pavly has not done well since leaving Spurs in 2012. Wish we had kept him atleast for 1 more year. You can't forget the way he helped us qualify to the CL in 2010. Not forgetting the many memorable goals he scored for us. He was so sharp in front of goal that he used to score almost everytime he got the ball near the goal. Really thought he could have played 1 or 2 more seasons for us.

As for Arshavin, he should have never come to England. I think English football have destroyed a class player in him.

Looking at the stats, I think Pavly has not done well since leaving Spurs in 2012. Wish we had kept him atleast for 1 more year. You can't forget the way he helped us qualify to the CL in 2010. Not forgetting the many memorable goals he scored for us. He was so sharp in front of goal that he used to score almost everytime he got the ball near the goal. Really thought he could have played 1 or 2 more seasons for us.
Yeah, Pav contributed well and provided some memorable moments. 42 goals in 113 matches is a solid ratio, remembering that he was often coming from the bench. However I know many Spurs fans who are happy he left mainly because of his sloppiness and sluggishness (as Hiddink said one time about him - "Sleepy giant"). At least it was a right decision, because he was sold for good money.

Anyway, it was Pav who lead me to supporting Spurs, from 2008, and I thank him. He feels okay in Lokomotiv now and a sub role is enough for him considering age. I sometimes visit Loko's matches to see Pav and Chorluka. Charlie btw is one of the best defenders in RPL and fans' favourite players. And he's playing centreback, not fullback as it usually happened under HR.

As for Arshavin, he should have never come to England. I think English football have destroyed a class player in him.
I think he destroyed many things himself, including his family.
Despite having a great talant, he lacked an attitude of a top-professional, couldn't properly react to his success and work further.
He also destroyed the rest of his reputation, saying on camera after failure on Euro-2012, that fans' expectations of Russia qualifying through the group stage are only fans' problems. From that moment most part of the country hates and disrespects him. What to say, a scum cnut.

Last edited:

I think that many would say that Pav hasn't played well since joining Spurs.

According to Wiki:

On 24 July 2013, Pavlyuchenko announced his retirement from national duties

Although everywhere is reproting he 'missed out' so perhaps he reversed it

I like Pav but I remember during the 3-3 game with Arsenal he had a very easy chance to score a winner. Was the only time we've made a comeback to get a draw with Arsenal and I left the ground devastated that we hadn't won!

Russia squad:
Goalkeepers: Igor Akinfeev (CSKA Moscow), Yury Lodygin (Zenit St. Petersburg), Sergey Ryzhikov (Rubin Kazan)

Defenders: Vasili Berezutskiy (CSKA Moscow), Vladimir Granat (Dynamo Moscow), Andrey Eshchenko (Anzhi Makhachkala), Sergey Ignashevich (CSKA Moscow), Alexey Kozlov (Dynamo Moscow), Dmitry Kombarov (Spartak Moscow), Andrey Semenov (Terek Grozny), Georgi Schennikov (CSKA Moscow)

Midfielders: Denis Glushakov (Spartak Moscow), Igor Denisov (Dynamo Moscow), Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moscow), Yury Zhirkov (Dynamo Moscow), Alexey Ionov (Dynamo Moscow), Alexander Samedov (Lokomotiv Moscow), Victor Faizulin (Zenit St. Petersburg), Oleg Shatov (Zenit St. Petersburg), Roman Shirokov (Krasnodar)

Forwards: Maxim Kanunnikov (Amkar Perm), Alexander Kerzhakov (Zenit St. Petersburg), Alexander Kokorin (Dynamo Moscow)

By the way: Did you know, Russia is the only national team in the final stage which is represented with players only from national league?

Last edited:
Russia squad:
Goalkeepers: Igor Akinfeev (CSKA Moscow), Yury Lodygin (Zenit St. Petersburg), Sergey Ryzhikov (Rubin Kazan)

Defenders: Vasili Berezutskiy (CSKA Moscow), Vladimir Granat (Dynamo Moscow), Andrey Eshchenko (Anzhi Makhachkala), Sergey Ignashevich (CSKA Moscow), Alexey Kozlov (Dynamo Moscow), Dmitry Kombarov (Spartak Moscow), Andrey Semenov (Terek Grozny), Georgi Schennikov (CSKA Moscow)

Midfielders: Denis Glushakov (Spartak Moscow), Igor Denisov (Dynamo Moscow), Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moscow), Yury Zhirkov (Dynamo Moscow), Alexey Ionov (Dynamo Moscow), Alexander Samedov (Lokomotiv Moscow), Victor Faizulin (Zenit St. Petersburg), Oleg Shatov (Zenit St. Petersburg), Roman Shirokov (Krasnodar)

Forwards: Maxim Kanunnikov (Amkar Perm), Alexander Kerzhakov (Zenit St. Petersburg), Alexander Kokorin (Dynamo Moscow)

By the way: Did you know, Russia is the only national team in the final stage not to have at least one player from EPL and to be represented with players only from national league?

A nationalisti edict from Putin in the lead-up to 2018? 8-[

Russia squad:

By the way: Did you know, Russia is the only national team in the final stage not to have at least one player from EPL and to be represented with players only from national league?

Doesn't the England team only have EPL players?

Russia squad:

Italy and Switzerland? Could argue Colombia too, as Armero was only on loan at West Ham.

Italy and Switzerland? Could argue Colombia too, as Armero was only on loan at West Ham.
my bad ;(

Kasami got only in the reserve list of Switzerland's squad
Completely has mistaken about Italy
Columbia is arguable, yes

Last edited:
Belgium win the group, South korea come 2nd, Russians go home,

Russia have such a poor record in the WC since the end of Soviet Union. They had failed to get past the group stage in 1994 and 2002. And this Russian team just does not fills you with much confidence either. But if they do finish behind South Korea and fail to progress to the next stage, they might as well give up the right to host the 2018 WC and forget about football completely. All the Asian teams have been very poor in recent times. Both Japan and South Korea struggled badly in the qualifiers. It will be utter humiliation for Russia if they don't beat South Korea and finish ahead of them.

Russia squad:

By the way: Did you know, Russia is the only national team in the final stage which is represented with players only from national league?

Not sure having all the players from the domestic league is a good thing. It only shows the lack of quality players in Russia now. Whatever happened to Alan Dzagoev ? He was being touted as a future star and linked with all the big teams in Europe including Spurs only a few years ago. But he is still playing in Russia and nothing much is being heard about him now.

Back