• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Canning Town Bingo Club

I'd definitely consider them rivals, if only because I remember Arsenal fans arrogantly dismissing the NLD as if it meant nothing and focusing on their games with top of the table opponents as being more important, back in the Invincibles' days. The jeers of us being far too small to be worth their time got me really, really riled, even more so as we'd never win. It was the North London Derby for Christ's sake, a battle of the best side in North London versus the Woolwich usurpers. It was never insignificant, and never will be. Luckily their rapid fall means they take it a lot more seriously now, which is how it should be. But returning to the topic, yes, I consider West Ham our rivals. The size and success of the two clubs shouldn't matter; the proximity, the passion and the desire to beat the other lot above all else should.

We're not rivals, a rival is someone who can challenge you for something. They can't challenge us for brick. I hate their fans, and their current owners, so I always want to smash them up, but they're not rivals.

Did you consider arsenal our rivals in the early 2000's?

They are, and always will be our number one rivals, regardless of who's challenging for what.

Also, Chelsea I consider a rival too (one rather small step behind arse in the hate stakes), yet what did they ever challenge us for pre-2000? And post 2000, until now, in what way have we challenged them, trophy wise?

Still rivals though, and big ones, imo.

Did you consider arsenal our rivals in the early 2000's?

They are, and always will be our number one rivals, regardless of who's challenging for what.

We've always been a lot closer to Arsenal then West Ham will ever be to us.

ri?Àval/ˈrīvəl/
Noun:
A person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

Really, there needs to be a better word than rivals to describe the hatred between two teams. By definition our "rivals" right now would be United and City for the title, or Arsenal and Chelsea for league position. Then of course you have all the "rivals" in the FA cup.

Either way, in pure footballing success terms, I've never cared about West Ham, never been a threat. I just love beating them A) because a win is a win is a win and B) they're muggy clams and it's nice to shut them up.

Edit: of course you could argue that every PL team is a rival, because ultimately we're all competing for placings in the league.

:ross: :ross: :ross:

They really contacted Chelsea about Torres? Wow. And having been that fudging stupid they actually admit to it afterwards? Holy crap...

That's the best bit - do they think this makes them look big time? They just look pathetic.

Really, there needs to be a better word than rivals to describe the hatred between two teams. By definition our "rivals" right now would be United and City for the title

You have perfectly undone your own argument, I feel.

City and United have always been rivals. Loooooooong before their first title challenge for 50yrs, and even when City were 2nd division. Nothing to do with what honours they are challenging for.

Rivalry is usually location based, but it still comes down to other factors. People always talk about "El Classico", yet Barca's true rivals are Espanyol.

We've always been a lot closer to Arsenal then West Ham will ever be to us.

ri?Àval/ˈrīvəl/
Noun:
A person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

Really, there needs to be a better word than rivals to describe the hatred between two teams. By definition our "rivals" right now would be United and City for the title, or Arsenal and Chelsea for league position. Then of course you have all the "rivals" in the FA cup.

Either way, in pure footballing success terms, I've never cared about West Ham, never been a threat. I just love beating them A) because a win is a win is a win and B) they're muggy clams and it's nice to shut them up.

Edit: of course you could argue that every PL team is a rival, because ultimately we're all competing for placings in the league.

Completely agree, especially the highlighted bit.

You have perfectly undone your own argument, I feel.

City and United have always been rivals. Loooooooong before their first title challenge for 50yrs, and even when City were 2nd division. Nothing to do with what honours they are challenging for.

Rivalry is usually location based, but it still comes down to other factors. People always talk about "El Classico", yet Barca's true rivals are Espanyol.

Kind of why I don't agree with the term rivals, should be another word for it, as by definition, rivals doesn't describe, for example, Blackburn-Burnley yet that's what they call themselves. So I can see why people would call West Ham rivals, but for me they aren't. It's a foggy discussion tbh, open to all sorts of opinions. By the definition of the word, Everton and Villa have been more rivals to us in the PL era than any London club.

Even when they are in the same league as us, the importance of the fixture doesn't even come close to Arsenal or Chelsea. I'd even argue United at home is bigger. The games means much more to them than they do to us.

There are plenty of Spurs fans who consider West Ham to be bigger rivals than Chelsea. Particularly those fans who live or grew up in East London or Essex.

West Ham, logically, are more of a 'rival' (in the local derby sense) to us than Chelsea are - due to the closeness of the two clubs and the area's in which support for either side is split.

being in the worlds number one footballing city (number of professional clubs) really does spoil you in terms of choosing which side to hate the most, it all comes down to where you are from i guess and which other clubs supporters you come across

i get the feeling most people who play down the rivalry between ourselves and West Ham are either doing so just to belittle them or are a little naive of the history, possibly more so the spurs fans from way outside of london

Last edited:
Probably somewhat right there Bill, didn't grow up in London, and didn't know many West Ham fans. Liverpool are up there with Chelsea as my second most hated teams, and I was surrounded by a lot more of them growing up and now. Think I've known about 4 West Ham fans in my life.

Apparently if Portsmouth cease to be West Ham will drop out of the automatic promotion spots. Reading took 0 points off them and west ham took 6

Its a difficult one to pin down and depends on who you ask really. To me, I actually get more nervous generally when playing West Ham than the other fixtures like Chelsea and Arsenal that have for me a lot more rivalry in the aspirations sense. Its like the thought and idea of losing to them is an embarassment which makes me more uncomfortable before and during the game.

Because of the nature of their fans, it is high up on the list for me with Arsenal and Chelsea but for others it may not rank very highly.

They are a rival, for me there is no doubt but just less of one in aspirations than Chelsea or Arsenal. On a dislike of fans level which adds to the rivalry they are up there on a par with Chelsea for me - equally nasty fans with wierd ideas on everything from life to football just from different parts of the south east. Love beating them and hate losing to them = Rival in most peoples language

Probably somewhat right there Bill, didn't grow up in London, and didn't know many West Ham fans. Liverpool are up there with Chelsea as my second most hated teams, and I was surrounded by a lot more of them growing up and now. Think I've known about 4 West Ham fans in my life.

Where I live, it's mainly Spurs and Arsenal supporters. There's also a large number of United and Liverpool fans. There's hardly any West Ham fans. Not many Chelsea fans either even with the influx of glory hunters since they first won the premier league in 05, but I still hate them because of the history of the clubs, we've played each other in cup finals and even caused them to get relegated. Have we ever played West Ham in a final or even a semi final of any tournament? I bet we've never played them beyond the quarter final of any tournament. I get that a lot of Spurs fans grew up in areas populated with West Ham fans so that's a large reason why they hate them, but look at their history! They're so irrelevant and not even remotely close to us in terms of current form, history, fanbase and recent history.

Its a difficult one to pin down and depends on who you ask really. To me, I actually get more nervous generally when playing West Ham than the other fixtures like Chelsea and Arsenal that have for me a lot more rivalry in the aspirations sense. Its like the thought and idea of losing to them is an embarassment which makes me more uncomfortable before and during the game.

Because of the nature of their fans, it is high up on the list for me with Arsenal and Chelsea but for others it may not rank very highly.

They are a rival, for me there is no doubt but just less of one in aspirations than Chelsea or Arsenal. On a dislike of fans level which adds to the rivalry they are up there on a par with Chelsea for me - equally nasty fans with wierd ideas on everything from life to football just from different parts of the south east. Love beating them and hate losing to them = Rival in most peoples language

Growing up in N15 the spammers meant nothing to me whatsoever, can remember cheering like mad when Brooking tripped over his boot laces and scored that header! and even after lasagne gate and the way they celebrated although not initally wanting them to win against selfpity pool in the cup final I still felt a bit sorry for them something that would never happen with the goons or the Chavs.

bottom line they are our rivals but we are their massie rivals.

Back