• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Buying a PC - no idea

Lugash

Rohan Ricketts
Hello all - it's happened, I've hit my 30's and I don't know anything about technology anymore.

I want to buy a desktop computer, but don't know where to start.

My requirements are very basic:
1. Aesthetics - it's got to look sleek and cool. I want a white monitor and a tidy base.
2. Browsing, streaming (football/films etc) and very basic stuff. Don't need it for games or anything fancy.

Where on earth do I start?

Thanks!

Hello all - it's happened, I've hit my 30's and I don't know anything about technology anymore.

I want to buy a desktop computer, but don't know where to start.

My requirements are very basic:
1. Aesthetics - it's got to look sleek and cool. I want a white monitor and a tidy base.
2. Browsing, streaming (football/films etc) and very basic stuff. Don't need it for games or anything fancy.

Where on earth do I start?

Thanks!
Tablet + Chromecast? Laptop?

I genuinely wouldn't bother with a desktop for that kind of low-strain work.

I'm a bit of a tart for flash monitors :cool:
It is an impressive piece of kit, especially if you are into design of any type. The surface dial accessory is a great idea but considering it is so new there are not too many apps that support it yet. I might get one myself in a few years when the app support is there (and it is a bit cheaper:)).

In response to the OP I'd put SSD on the list of must haves.

Last edited:
Am on the cusp of getting one of these, but more than a little bemused as to the extras I'm told I'll need, eg clockspeed / storage upgrade (to store/edit literally 1000s of pics and short vid clips from my 2009 iMac), SSD(?), new printer and stuff. Am no nerd, so feeling quite a bit bewildered.

how big is the drive on your 2009?

is your existing printer broken?

sounds like some naughty upselling going on

that looks a decent price actually

i've got the i7 and did go for the 16gb of RAM as it's for work and I intend to get 5 (maybe even 6/7) years out of it, the fusion is part SSD so you'll still get the speed benefit (it boots in seconds)

I already had a drive for time machine so didn't need to add anything else

Thanks, StephenH! Really helpful.

I've read all-in-ones can be a bit dodgy, as if something goes wrong or you want to ugprade, it's a major hassle.

What do you reckon?

Back