• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Buy the dip.

So the FTSE 100 is currently bobbing around at, give or take, about 25% off it's all-time peak.

Is that really a true reflection of where things are right now...?

So the FTSE 100 is currently bobbing around at, give or take, about 25% off it's all-time peak.

I know folks are into trackers and managed funds, and trackers have done well in the past. But with these new apps that allow you to trade shares for free, I'd either go for specific shares or a managed fund that is small enough to be agile.

What is clear is that some businesses will suffer big. Others won't. In fact some will prosper. Netflicks, Amazon etc. will do well from this. Even beyond these obvious ones, there are other companies that the market have not reacted to yet. Laptop makers like HP have had a huge uplift in sales. I think we know that this virus is not going to be solved overnight. The premise of remote working and all the things we are seeing now are here for a while yet. So leave oil, travel, high street retail, as even when things open people won't be using them as much. Take a long term view on companies like Amazon, Walmart, Alli Baba who all service people from online. Short term laptop manufacturers, and any other companies making things that are in high demand (seeds, PPE, webcams, headsets, meeting software etc) are probably worthwhile investing in too.

I know folks are into trackers and managed funds, and trackers have done well in the past. But with these new apps that allow you to trade shares for free, I'd either go for specific shares or a managed fund that is small enough to be agile.

What is clear is that some businesses will suffer big. Others won't. In fact some will prosper. Netflicks, Amazon etc. will do well from this. Even beyond these obvious ones, there are other companies that the market have not reacted to yet. Laptop makers like HP have had a huge uplift in sales. I think we know that this virus is not going to be solved overnight. The premise of remote working and all the things we are seeing now are here for a while yet. So leave oil, travel, high street retail, as even when things open people won't be using them as much. Take a long term view on companies like Amazon, Walmart, Alli Baba who all service people from online. Short term laptop manufacturers, and any other companies making things that are in high demand (seeds, PPE, webcams, headsets, meeting software etc) are probably worthwhile investing in too.

Thats why i love freetrade. Im on that forum more then here now.

I quote someone's view from the other day regarding the market going forward, and I completely agree with him.
'We are past peak mass panic BUT we are nowhere near peak mass pessimism..and that will come in spades'

Think that's solid advice, the old way of stock picking and active funds is the order of the day. Trackers etc are too vulnerable to massive losers...and there will 100% be some

A lot depends on other financial fall outs, think it's nailed on there'll be a deflationary period BUT with all the money printing, bail outs, helicopter money (mind blowing numbers) you'd think inflation has got to tick up eventually and interest rate rises to keep it in check. (Although we should have been saying that for 10/15 years):)

What apps are these that let you buy shares for free? Surely there must be some costs somewhere or how do they make money?

What apps are these that let you buy shares for free? Surely there must be some costs somewhere or how do they make money?

Charles Schwab are doing free trades now, but probably a minimum amount. I’m no expert, Danish may be more clued up:

Freetrade
X-O
I think Revolut now - very good app for currency changes abroad.
Robinhood
And many more.

Some maybe making money on the difference between their buy price and yours. Need to do some more research...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Freetrade who i use only place your orders at the end of the day so the prices can change slightly and is not conducive to day trading. I only use it for long term investments. Think they make their money off the professional service.

Also should add that freetrade are opening up accounts to fractional trading soon so you will be able to invest with out owning the whole share.

That is going to massively open up shares and investing to the younger generations.

Freetrade are also opening up their IPO again soon so you can become an investor in the best company in the UK.

Also should add that freetrade are opening up accounts to fractional trading soon so you will be able to invest with out owning the whole share.

That is going to massively open up shares and investing to the younger generations.

Freetrade are also opening up their IPO again soon so you can become an investor in the best company in the UK.

Is that through the crowdfunding platform?

I’m thinking of investing in this, you?

I'm not sure about that, if you look at the growth of the markets and return on investment between 2011-2019, if that wasn't enough incentive to get people in, don't think an app and fractional trading will.

I tried to catch some falling knives on this one, bought into a couple of the airlines I think will ride it out, was bit greedy waiting on Avis (on March 18th they were almost 40% off yesterday's price) so missed out. If you feel really ballsy you could look at the oil sector. Big tech and anything supporting remote work will obviously come out the other end way better.

Be interesting if they release an IPO, brave move depending on circumstance, a few recent IPOs haven't done that well (I don't really follow the UK market)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=...hUKEwjfsd7Azv_oAhWCRBUIHT4WD9cQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

interesting look at the share price over the last day/week/month

It's interesting, Shell and Schlumberger despite the oil disaster haven't been down that much (nothing massively more than market in general from peak). I would have expected a little bit more drop, but if you look at the expected survivors, not that much of a bargain.

It really (in my opinion) still says the market believes this is just temporary.

Back