• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Buy the dip.

upload_2020-3-30_19-58-3.jpeg

In times like this does the FTSE literally just follow the infections, in reverse? i.e. a stabilisation of infections/deaths equals stocks and shares stability.

So does anyone want to hazard a guess as to where the FTSE might bottom out from this crisis? Just for a bit of fun.

So far it seems to have bottomed at just fractionally below 5,000 a couple of weeks back, but has bobbed around the mid/high 5's since then, not closing below 5,400 since it briefly touched that low.

So, was that it? Or is this just a pause, and it still has further to fall?

Personally I struggle to believe that can have been the bottom. So I'll go for it bottoming at 4,697 sometime over the next couple of months.

So does anyone want to hazard a guess as to where the FTSE might bottom out from this crisis? Just for a bit of fun.

So far it seems to have bottomed at just fractionally below 5,000 a couple of weeks back, but has bobbed around the mid/high 5's since then, not closing below 5,400 since it briefly touched that low.

So, was that it? Or is this just a pause, and it still has further to fall?

Personally I struggle to believe that can have been the bottom. So I'll go for it bottoming at 4,697 sometime over the next couple of months.
Typical double dip.

Price collapse with the shock. Many thinking there a bargains about equals a bounce then the full realisation of the hole we are in (across the board) as the next two quarters will demonstrate perfectly.

Don't get me wrong you c.ould of bought many a share when the FTSE was at 5000 and in 10 years time you'll be looking good.

At times like these sitting on the sidelines with cash is the safest and best position to be in (regardless of zero interest rates). To have that liquidity when you need it is massive, either to invest, bottom feed, or protect your family.

Typical double dip.

Price collapse with the shock. Many thinking there a bargains about equals a bounce then the full realisation of the hole we are in (across the board) as the next two quarters will demonstrate perfectly.

Don't get me wrong you c.ould of bought many a share when the FTSE was at 5000 and in 10 years time you'll be looking good.

That certainly seems to be what's happened so far. After dipping below 5, it was over 5.8 just three closes later.

If you're going in, probably best to avoid aiming at the big milestone figures I'd say.

Well, quite. Ykur advice is to wait for more bad news, and a FTSE fall to 5,000, and then go for it, if I read you right above?

Well I'm certainly not qualified to give advice nor was I trying to do so, but I also have a modest sum waiting to go into a pension and I've held it back so far*.

It's totally impossible to say without a crystal ball, though. A breakthrough, and some postive news on antibody testing next week for example & we might all be kicking ourselves for not getting in sooner. No one knows.

*for disclosure, the reason for my having this lump sum to invest is that I mis-called the top of the market a few years back...so what do I know!

Last edited:
So, is this a sensible time to stack a goodish lump of my whelk stall's takings into a pension, or a silly one?
Depends how much you have to invest ? Yearly pension contribution cap is 40k, so if you have more than that it might of been an idea to invest some on the first dip as it occurred before the tax year end. But hey that's passed.

The road map out of this (beyond a on/off lockdown) is a blank sheet of paper at the moment. Everyday it remains that way is economically savage.

I'd sit on it and wait. There is still too much potential downside. 5000 and lower will be back imo.

Personally I’d sell today/early tomorrow, then when things dip again (they will) buy businesses that are selling more at the moment. Ditch cars, oil, airlines, leisure, buy food, electricity, laptop makers. Certain things are selling out while some industries face unprecedented challenges massive losses and failure (without government support).

I thought this would blow over. But now I think it is best to invest in areas that will persist through this. Electric and water utilities, Amazon, AlliBaba, HP, Lenovo, Tescos, Walmart etc

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back