• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Buy the dip.

I thought crypto was the 'alternative' currency, and with intrinsic value of traditional currencies being made a mockery of, crypto would be worth holding? (ie not selling)

All markets are being spooked by covid.

The institutional investors into bitcoin this year is quite telling which is why I know it is here to stay. But it is a market so prone to the dips all markets are.

All markets are being spooked by covid.

The institutional investors into bitcoin this year is quite telling which is why I know it is here to stay. But it is a market so prone to the dips all markets are.

Ive never gone near crypto or sought to understand it. The random (ish) volatility of it is a bit to much for my risk profile.

The pessimism is setting in (and rightly so)....i see the ftse shed another 3% today. There was attempted resistance at 6200/6300 as virus stability entered over the summer but reality bites. Nearly thru 5500 today and the trend is undeniable since 6500.

Could be back to 5000 as a xmas present:)

Gutted, was going to get some Rolls Royce shares and they've gone up 45% today. should have made some good money there.

Gutted, was going to get some Rolls Royce shares and they've gone up 45% today. should have made some good money there.

Not sure what happened, looks like my RR shares were split into 2 holdings recently? (tradeable and ordinary, what does that mean?). One of them up by 102% today the other by 74%. In a day! I didn't have much in them, and probably still well down on them all told. I did buy some Cineworld shares recently. Up 34% today. Will probably take the profit.

Some crazy increases in one day.

Not sure what happened, looks like my RR shares were split into 2 holdings recently? (tradeable and ordinary, what does that mean?). One of them up by 102% today the other by 74%. In a day! I didn't have much in them, and probably still well down on them all told. I did buy some Cineworld shares recently. Up 34% today. Will probably take the profit.

Haven't you heard....

The world's been saved, free at last, free at last.
:)

I think RR had a rights issue recently so dependent what you owned and when determines the split, if you bought in before the rights issue then you have options to buy more at a discount and if you bought after then you won't which might be the difference but I'm only guessing.

Cineworld just doubled for a time this week as well, definitely some good value to be had.

I think RR had a rights issue recently so dependent what you owned and when determines the split, if you bought in before the rights issue then you have options to buy more at a discount and if you bought after then you won't which might be the difference but I'm only guessing.

Cineworld just doubled for a time this week as well, definitely some good value to be had.

Yes something like that! What I can't figure out is why the % gains are different. Different classes of share or something.

I'd sold off most of my Chinese stocks and invested into laptop manufacturers and online supermarkets as a kind of safe haven when covid hit. Had some successes. Amazon and gaming laptop manufacturers did well. Tescos not so much. But they are a safe solid bet and maybe a little undervalued. People will stick to online ordering now and maybe Tescos will refine their systems to be more profitable. Reducing exposure to Chinese stocks was a mistake in hindsight. They dropped but bounced quickly. I had kept the tech ones - JD, Alibaba thankfully. And now I'm bought back into all the Eastern stocks though a couple of funds. The growth is in the east. China seems unstoppable.

There is certainly money to be made on travel stocks. But hard to guess when the moment is. There will be multiple ups and downs. National Express, all the budget airlines (budget as leisure travel will start moving first before business travel does) are worth a punt at the right time.

Money in stocks is pretty boring though. Hopefully can sell it and use it for something more interesting soon. Not sure what yet!

Yes something like that! What I can't figure out is why the % gains are different. Different classes of share or something.

I'd sold off most of my Chinese stocks and invested into laptop manufacturers and online supermarkets as a kind of safe haven when covid hit. Had some successes. Amazon and gaming laptop manufacturers did well. Tescos not so much. But they are a safe solid bet and maybe a little undervalued. People will stick to online ordering now and maybe Tescos will refine their systems to be more profitable. Reducing exposure to Chinese stocks was a mistake in hindsight. They dropped but bounced quickly. I had kept the tech ones - JD, Alibaba thankfully. And now I'm bought back into all the Eastern stocks though a couple of funds. The growth is in the east. China seems unstoppable.

There is certainly money to be made on travel stocks. But hard to guess when the moment is. There will be multiple ups and downs. National Express, all the budget airlines (budget as leisure travel will start moving first before business travel does) are worth a punt at the right time.

Money in stocks is pretty boring though. Hopefully can sell it and use it for something more interesting soon. Not sure what yet!

Well if 1 share gives you the right to buy more shares at a discount and the other share doesn't then one is better to own than the other.

Everyone seems to be into the darling Ocado at the moment, no idea why. Their app can't even handle a few thousand people logging on at once, crap website, limited delivery slots, outdated tech and warehouses take ages to build/expand. During the 1st lockdown I could log onto the tesco site fine everytime and get slots if I checked a few times a day but Ocado had to shut their loyal customers out. What kind of online only company can't handle a bit of extra web traffic on their site. I think Tesco is a good solid business, should do well in the next few years - they can already do triple the amount of weekly deliveries that Ocado can.]

Nothing boring about making money, I want to move house in a couple of years so I'm mostly sticking with Vanguard funds til then which are pretty consistent.

Good points. Ocado are trying to re-classify themselves as a tech stock - never mind the business fundamentals! Did they package and sell/franchise their platform abroad? But I agree they are a long way off being a true tech company; and they're not even a particularly dependable or liked online grocer. I keep thinking Tescos are a solid investment, but they don't make me any money! Don't lose money either which is no to be sniffed at at the moment. Ultimately I think it's wiser to jump on the latest fashion and rising wave than pick good value solid companies. Growth rather than value. Chinese stocks will do more for you than say Tescos. Quite possible realise 50%+ gains a year, with the size and growth of China. Solid UK companies don't have the same potential.

I’ve lost so much capital value from shares this year it’s hilarious.

Seasoned amateur and sang froid.

Don’t spend what you ain’t won and paid tax on.

As for losses? They’s tax free. Xxxx

Even my Aston Martin shares look like they might not completely brick the bed.

Good interview with Mr Stroll in last weeks sunday times, obviously he's biased but his track record is good and the new deal to get Mercedes parts is a big plus. Can see them doing well in the long term.

Good interview with Mr Stroll in last weeks sunday times, obviously he's biased but his track record is good and the new deal to get Mercedes parts is a big plus. Can see them doing well in the long term.
Not great news for car fans though. The Aston V12 is one of the most beautiful sounding engines ever made - those AMG turbo V8s just don't have the same charm.

Not great news for car fans though. The Aston V12 is one of the most beautiful sounding engines ever made - those AMG turbo V8s just don't have the same charm.

True but better than no car if they folded completely or get taken over by a consortium for the name only.

Back