• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Buckingham Palace emergency

You are wrong.
Twitter is a reflection of yourself. You choose who to follow. Poets, scientists, radical thinkers, writers, educated fellows, chavs, you decide.

Don't tell me what The Poets are doin'
Don't tell me that they're talkin' tough
Don't tell me that they're anti-social
Somehow not anti-social enough

the problem is people aren't willing to consider alternative views, especially on things like the monarchy or especially the British Empire.

The Empire itself fascinates me, in the UK we're barely taught it in schools (Henry VIII gets a lot of prime time coverage though), the things we hear is Britain was a super trading and naval nation. Funnily enough though, no one mentions the literal millions who died under British rule and subjugation. We hear of King Leopold or Idi Amin and all these other genocidal maniacs but convenitately hide our own past.

Oh and by that, i mean, the Foreign Office literally destroyed it's own papers showing the true scale of their atrocities, it was called Operation Legacy. You can find out about it, because it won't be taught.

the problem is people aren't willing to consider alternative views, especially on things like the monarchy or especially the British Empire.

The Empire itself fascinates me, in the UK we're barely taught it in schools (Henry VIII gets a lot of prime time coverage though), the things we hear is Britain was a super trading and naval nation. Funnily enough though, no one mentions the literal millions who died under British rule and subjugation. We hear of King Leopold or Idi Amin and all these other genocidal maniacs but convenitately hide our own past.

Oh and by that, i mean, the Foreign Office non-figuratively destroyed it's own papers showing the true scale of their atrocities, it was called Operation Legacy. You can find out about it, because it won't be taught.
Have you read Empireland?

I haven't got to it yet myself but reviews are good.

Have you read Empireland?

I haven't got to it yet myself but reviews are good.

Half way through it as we speak. Not teaching me much i didn't know, but focuses a lot on the British psyche as it is today, and you can clearly see the remnants of Empire within that. Especially with the current government who often use imperial language on a very frequent basis to appeal to their voting base.

Half way through it as we speak. Not teaching me much i didn't know, but focuses a lot on the British psyche as it is today, and you can clearly see the remnants of Empire within that. Especially with the current government who often use imperial language on a very frequent basis to appeal to their voting base.
I'll expect a full book report and review when you're done.

Oh and by that, i mean, the Foreign Office non-figuratively destroyed it's own papers showing the true scale of their atrocities, it was called Operation Legacy. You can find out about it, because it won't be taught.

I would agree that the Empire was bad but then I think all empire's are bad and do not understand the need for man to dominate others.

Would back history being taught properly warts and all. I only really know about the stuff in India which was frankly horrific.

I will keep an eye out for the book.

I look at the history of the country and think of it as it is... history and things that make the country what it is, not what it will be.
I also look at it and think that it’s part of what makes us and the world what it is today
We took things form countries and left things in countries (not always a fair balance and I’m not arguing that).
But right now in the modern world being selfish possibly l know that if we didn’t have the empire and the colonial elements that followed I don’t think we would have had some of the scientific break through over the years or the technology ones as people may never have had the chance to migrate to other counties, be educated in other countries (or have education brought to them)... which gave the people who made those breakthroughs the chance and knowledges to fullfil their potential
I know personally growing up in a more diverse Britain works for me and I’ve learned different things of many, many people. And their people who wouldn’t have been given the opportunity to come better possibly if we hadn’t colonised their countries in the past (very simplistic I know, and I’m not trying to seasons guess how a country may have developed)
We do have a pseudo empire thing with America now where they exert their power in a way the Romans used to with their colonies. They just do it with finance and the threat of war ...

I would agree that the Empire was bad but then I think all empire's are bad and do not understand the need for man to dominate others.

Would back history being taught properly warts and all. I only really know about the stuff in India which was frankly horrific.

I will keep an eye out for the book.
The Indian Spanish flue epidemic treatment by the British his frankly genocide

Back