• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bryan Gil

Given the two games in four days it’d nice for there to be a surprise start for Bryan. Realistically I’m not sure how he would fit in to the systems we’ve seen Conte use but hope he is showing that he can be an effective option in training.

Given the two games in four days it’d nice for there to be a surprise start for Bryan. Realistically I’m not sure how he would fit in to the systems we’ve seen Conte use but hope he is showing that he can be an effective option in training.

Agreed. With his pace and dribbling, I think he could perform a similar role to Moura with the added advantage that I think he's better on the ball than Moura though perhaps not quite as quick

Lokks a tidy player who does not lack confidence, will be good to see him get more minutes as the season goes on.

He's certainly confident and needs game time in the right situations. Like a lot of new foreign players to league he wants ball to feet and comes short rather than run into space, just a matter of experience.

He's certainly confident and needs game time in the right situations. Like a lot of new foreign players to league he wants ball to feet and comes short rather than run into space, just a matter of experience.

Agree, he has time on his side ( only 20) and if he keeps working at his game should progress.

Another positive yesterday. Took players on, got past players, looked a threat.

Very limited minutes in particular circumstances, but good to see the lad get minutes and do well.

Another positive yesterday. Took players on, got past players, looked a threat.

Very limited minutes in particular circumstances, but good to see the lad get minutes and do well.
Strange, I thought he had a very Walcott game yesterday.

Beat his man plenty enough but spent the rest of his time lobbing in pointless crosses. Hopefully that was just a misunderstanding of Conte's instructions rather than intent from either of them.

Strange, I thought he had a very Walcott game yesterday.

Beat his man plenty enough but spent the rest of his time lobbing in pointless crosses. Hopefully that was just a misunderstanding of Conte's instructions rather than intent from either of them.

Packed defensive setup around the box from Southampton. Limited runs and movement from midfield from us. Not sure what he was supposed to do?

Would be great if he found some combinations in or outside the box after going past his man, I didn't notice him missing opportunities to do so.

Packed defensive setup around the box from Southampton. Limited runs and movement from midfield from us. Not sure what he was supposed to do?

Would be great if he found some combinations in or outside the box after going past his man, I didn't notice him missing opportunities to do so.
You've just described the very worst conditions for choosing to cross.

The only thing we can do against a determined defence like that is keep moving it around, use both horizontal and vertical movement, bring runners in late, etc. To chuck in crosses to a settled pile of Neanderthals is bread and butter to them - aside from Forster spazzing it into his own net they'll deal with that all day long.

That match could have continued for another few hours and those tactics weren't going to work.

You're right that a lack of movement from everyone else will hamper his choices, but the answer isn't to just give the ball to their defenders.

You've just described the very worst conditions for choosing to cross.

The only thing we can do against a determined defence like that is keep moving it around, use both horizontal and vertical movement, bring runners in late, etc. To chuck in crosses to a settled pile of Neanderthals is bread and butter to them - aside from Forster spazzing it into his own net they'll deal with that all day long.

That match could have continued for another few hours and those tactics weren't going to work.

You're right that a lack of movement from everyone else will hamper his choices, but the answer isn't to just give the ball to their defenders.

Can't move it around on his own though. Sanchez as the overlapping centre back to combine with?

I think he did as well as could be expected, but as a team we didn't do enough.

Can't move it around on his own though. Sanchez as the overlapping centre back to combine with?

This is what I couldn’t understand. Having Davinson as part of the attacking play when needing a goal - with Tanguy and Bergwijn on the bench. I know you only get 3 subs but I think we wasted one with Doherty. At 1-1, Tanguy for Reggie would have enabled us to go 4 at the back with Davies at LB. A better balance and more of an attacking threat against 10 men. Leaving 3 CBs on the whole game and then asking one of them to turn creator was a wrong move imo.

This is what I couldn’t understand. Having Davinson as part of the attacking play when needing a goal - with Tanguy and Bergwijn on the bench. I know you only get 3 subs but I think we wasted one with Doherty. At 1-1, Tanguy for Reggie would have enabled us to go 4 at the back with Davies at LB. A better balance and more of an attacking threat against 10 men. Leaving 3 CBs on the whole game and then asking one of them to turn creator was a wrong move imo.

Davies more or less played as a left back when we were attacking anyway.

Playing three at the back against 10 men is fine, problem is Sanchez isn't good enough on the ball. Perhaps could have swapped him and Dier around?

I think with what looked like two forced subs (Reguilon and Emerson) compromises had to be made.

A lot of things could have been done differently, but Conte doesn't get the benefit of hindsight before making his decisions. A good touch in a key situation or a bit of luck and Conte's the genius for bringing on Doherty.

I thought we looked dangerous when he played one twos and cut in across the box.

What we then lacked was that movement on the edge of the box to give him options and to make it more difficult for the defenders to make tackles. That didn't happen so no, it's not all on him but I do worry when I see a professional (non-Stoke) footballer continually whacking in crosses all with the same result.

I thought we looked dangerous when he played one twos and cut in across the box.

What we then lacked was that movement on the edge of the box to give him options and to make it more difficult for the defenders to make tackles. That didn't happen so no, it's not all on him but I do worry when I see a professional (non-Stoke) footballer continually whacking in crosses all with the same result.

Said this before, but...

48 hours since the last match. Several players injured. Lack of quality options in several positions even when everyone's fit. Still very early under Conte.

It's fine. We're not Stoke. Gil isn't a Stoke type player. We just didn't have the energy or options so we tried the basic stuff because that's what was available.

I was very disappointed with his shot right at the end of the game. I expected a cultured spaniard to bend that one in to leave the keeper with no chance.

Instead he just hit it as hard as he could which inevitably just went straight at the keeper for an easy save. That’s what I expect a soton player do. Very disappointing and a waste of a glorious opening to win the game. Idiot.

Back