• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Brave New World- thoughts

If it's down to choice of language then it appears to be poor use of it (second language allowing).

I'm surprised a person as intelligent as he seems to be is not more careful about using language that makes him sound like a crackpot. It only takes a sentence or two to describe it in terms that you or I would understand clearly as judging someone by their actions/words/body language/etc.

Why do you think he is intelligent.

Not knocking the guy, I love him. Best manager in donkeys but I dont know if he is intelligent or just very very good at his job.

Why do you think he is intelligent.

Not knocking the guy, I love him. Best manager in donkeys but I dont know if he is intelligent or just very very good at his job.

His man management tells me everything annoy how intelligent he is. Further to this he speaks two languages ... some can't even speak one.

You have to be shrewd, thoughtful, systematic to do what he is doing.

Otherwise he would just be Neil Warnock

His man management tells me everything annoy how intelligent he is. Further to this he speaks two languages ... some can't even speak one.

You have to be shrewd, thoughtful, systematic to do what he is doing.

Otherwise he would just be Neil Warnock

He speaks at least three languages (Spanish, English and French), I've even read somewhere that he speaks 4 or 5 languages. Difficult to say how intelligent he is based on the information in the book, but he's clearly doing his job really well, and that's good enough for me. :D

Interesting one for the "Poch picks him so he must be good" crowd.

This why I'm not going to read the book. Currently I rate, like and respect Poch a lot, but when you get to know that much more about someone they're invariably a let down.

After finishing the book, I think that your decision was eminently sensible.

It was the point where Poch rants about Jason Puncheon having the audacity to ask the Saints chairman a friendly question about his holiday which did it for me. Personally, I wouldn't be able to work for him and his mate-sozzled cabal for more than a week.

I wish I could get back the lovable, humble genius Poch that I'd imagined. I wish I could unread the whole thing.

He speaks at least three languages (Spanish, English and French), I've even read somewhere that he speaks 4 or 5 languages. Difficult to say how intelligent he is based on the information in the book, but he's clearly doing his job really well, and that's good enough for me. :D

Italian too - the family were Italian immigrants to Argentina, I think his grandfather may be Italian.

Pochettino drops grenades that could destroy Spurs season

Talk about a bombshell.

Any Tottenham fan concluding their team are back on the right track after Saturday evening’s 2-1 win over Brighton ended a run of three consecutive defeats will have to think again.

Mauricio Pochettino has dropped some grenades in his updated book that threatens to destroy Spurs’ season and strongly suggests his time at the club is coming to an end.

Brave New World: Inside Pochettino’s Spurs, the behind-the-scenes story at the club in the manager’s own words, has a new chapter that takes in the events of the 2017-18 season, in which the club finished third in the Premier League but failed to end their trophy drought following demoralising Champions League and FA Cup defeats at the hands of Juventus and Chelsea..

Author Guillem Balague writes in June 2018 (p. 277-278) how Pochettino had signed a new five-year contract the previous month but only after extensive conversations with chairman Daniel Levy that made it clear the team needed a total overhaul and a new direction this summer.

“Levy had to do one of two things, either get rid of certain players and replace them with others who were good enough or look for another coach,” Balague explains. “The renewal of his contract at the end of May was the consequence of some tough, but totally necessary, conversations that took place and was an indication of how the club responded to his demands.

“The project conceived by him up to that moment had come to an end. It was time to be rid of those who lacked commitment, those who could not help the club to grow.

“It was now time to set about renewing the dream by bringing in a new energy in the shape of players of the highest possible calibre.

“The 2018-19 season would not be like the last. The club had to admit that it had made mistakes and they needed to learn from them. Bravery can sometimes be at its best when the accelerator is pressed to the floor.”

So, what happened in the three months between Pochettino’s demand, as relayed by Balague, and the end of the summer transfer window in which the manager clearly demanded an overhaul of the team?

Absolutely nothing. Talks to sell star Spurs names resulted in nothing other than them staying. Negotiations to replace them drew a blank.

Balague does not name the players Pochettino wanted out, but it can be safely assumed that first-team trio Toby Alderweireld, Danny Rose and Mousa Dembele feature among them, as well as striker Vincent Janssen, who has been stripped of his shirt number.

All four remain at the club, and three of them were in the starting XI against Brighton on Saturday.

Clearly, Levy and Pochettino expected to raise £150million by selling the big names over the summer, and the manager was forced to climb down and get three of them back on board after new clubs could not be found.

It leaves Spurs in a mess that threatens to not only cast a shadow over their season, but totally destroy it.

The manager didn’t get what he wanted – demanded, even – and relations with Levy have surely suffered huge damage as a result.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/09/bl...ops-grenades-that-could-destroy-spurs-season/

Pochettino drops grenades that could destroy Spurs season

Talk about a bombshell.

Any Tottenham fan concluding their team are back on the right track after Saturday evening’s 2-1 win over Brighton ended a run of three consecutive defeats will have to think again.

Mauricio Pochettino has dropped some grenades in his updated book that threatens to destroy Spurs’ season and strongly suggests his time at the club is coming to an end.

Brave New World: Inside Pochettino’s Spurs, the behind-the-scenes story at the club in the manager’s own words, has a new chapter that takes in the events of the 2017-18 season, in which the club finished third in the Premier League but failed to end their trophy drought following demoralising Champions League and FA Cup defeats at the hands of Juventus and Chelsea..

Author Guillem Balague writes in June 2018 (p. 277-278) how Pochettino had signed a new five-year contract the previous month but only after extensive conversations with chairman Daniel Levy that made it clear the team needed a total overhaul and a new direction this summer.

“Levy had to do one of two things, either get rid of certain players and replace them with others who were good enough or look for another coach,” Balague explains. “The renewal of his contract at the end of May was the consequence of some tough, but totally necessary, conversations that took place and was an indication of how the club responded to his demands.

“The project conceived by him up to that moment had come to an end. It was time to be rid of those who lacked commitment, those who could not help the club to grow.

“It was now time to set about renewing the dream by bringing in a new energy in the shape of players of the highest possible calibre.

“The 2018-19 season would not be like the last. The club had to admit that it had made mistakes and they needed to learn from them. Bravery can sometimes be at its best when the accelerator is pressed to the floor.”

So, what happened in the three months between Pochettino’s demand, as relayed by Balague, and the end of the summer transfer window in which the manager clearly demanded an overhaul of the team?

Absolutely nothing. Talks to sell star Spurs names resulted in nothing other than them staying. Negotiations to replace them drew a blank.

Balague does not name the players Pochettino wanted out, but it can be safely assumed that first-team trio Toby Alderweireld, Danny Rose and Mousa Dembele feature among them, as well as striker Vincent Janssen, who has been stripped of his shirt number.

All four remain at the club, and three of them were in the starting XI against Brighton on Saturday.

Clearly, Levy and Pochettino expected to raise £150million by selling the big names over the summer, and the manager was forced to climb down and get three of them back on board after new clubs could not be found.

It leaves Spurs in a mess that threatens to not only cast a shadow over their season, but totally destroy it.

The manager didn’t get what he wanted – demanded, even – and relations with Levy have surely suffered huge damage as a result.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/09/bl...ops-grenades-that-could-destroy-spurs-season/

Nothing we didn’t know or all but the most banal fan did not suspect.

Balague must be in need of some redies since Sky let him go!

Hmm, why would Poch say that these words are OK. He MUST have sanctioned that wording. Pretty hard words, Levy will have both eyebrows raised, assuming he has eyebrows. Hopefully the players are too docile to react angrily.

Hmm, why would Poch say that these words are OK. He MUST have sanctioned that wording. Pretty hard words, Levy will have both eyebrows raised, assuming he has eyebrows. Hopefully the players are too docile to react angrily.

It may account for some strange ins and out in last three weeks in the first team?
It is hard making sense of anything at Spurs when you are a mushroom!

I agree with Poch that the squad needs a reboot, but it can't be done in just one window. I've recently been thinking that what we should do is start building a side for two or three years from now. It's also why I'm a little disappointed we couldn't at least bring in some young talent this summer, even if the first team ready players weren't available.

I agree with Poch that the squad needs a reboot, but it can't be done in just one window. I've recently been thinking that what we should do is start building a side for two or three years from now. It's also why I'm a little disappointed we couldn't at least bring in some young talent this summer, even if the first team ready players weren't available.

“Reboot” just about sums-up what was/is needed.
Not convinced Pochettino will oversee it though.

It's obvious (yes obvious ) what has happened here. (the report above is trying to create the bombshell, the story doesn't provide one)

Poch clearly at the back end of last season was a bit frustrated. Frustrated we'd come up short again and frustrated that any blame for that was aimed at him.
He clearly thought (because we could all see it on the pitch) that we were good, often very good BUT not quite good enough and with the personnel we had he'd maxed out with us, hit a ceiling.

Cue the 'crazy' 'brave' comments. Cue meeting with Levy.

Lets not get silly, Levy and Poch get on. They get on because Poch and Levy are open and honest with each other, no game playing goes on.

Poch wants to do some serious surgery on the squad (of course he does, its at his limit with it). He wants rid of Toby, Rose, Dembele, Llorente, GNK, Jansen and maybe Sissoko and Victor. Thta's major, and Levy from a football perspective could quite easily think...Tobys decent, so is Danny and did you see some of Dembele performances last season BUT Levy knows Poch is the coach, and given his record has free reign to proceed.

From Levy's side he is thinking of money, the stadium, balancing a monumental infrastructure project with an emerging team.

I 100% think the deal was.....that Poch could have 100% of any sales we made and Levy would commit eg £20m towards keeping our best players via improved contracts. Out going sales could easily total £150-£200m, quite a war chest.

Now, selling (and buying) players is not like dumping your shares ie a press of a button. It's more like buying and selling houses ie plenty of pr.icks involved. Over valuing, low balling and a bunch of clamish agents.

On paper the plan looks good, and both men were signed up to it.

Now the only time this falls down is if the honesty and trust the two men have for each other has been breached. If Poch can see everything that has gone on and is good with it, then there is nothing to see here. He may agree with Levy when players we want are overvalued, he may want Dembele to go to Inter, Dembele says no, what can he do. The unwanted are all sitting in the shop window but no-one comes in and the phone don't ring. Deals are harder to do because of this crazy market.

If it was like shares, we'd of sold out like fantasy football and known the price of all our targets and life would be easy. It's anything but that. But some fans think otherwise. I have said before it was not a choice to sign no-one, and i believe if the plan had been executed we would be in better shape now. Not that we haven't got a great set of players, just that Poch obviously meant something at the end of last season and another groundhog day season really could harm the belief, drive and momentum and not just the players but the manager himself, even if it's neither his or Levy's fault.

Hopefully January will be a window more suited and with more oppurtunities for us.COYS

It's obvious (yes obvious ) what has happened here. (the report above is trying to create the bombshell, the story doesn't provide one)

Poch clearly at the back end of last season was a bit frustrated. Frustrated we'd come up short again and frustrated that any blame for that was aimed at him.
He clearly thought (because we could all see it on the pitch) that we were good, often very good BUT not quite good enough and with the personnel we had he'd maxed out with us, hit a ceiling.

Cue the 'crazy' 'brave' comments. Cue meeting with Levy.

Lets not get silly, Levy and Poch get on. They get on because Poch and Levy are open and honest with each other, no game playing goes on.

Poch wants to do some serious surgery on the squad (of course he does, its at his limit with it). He wants rid of Toby, Rose, Dembele, Llorente, GNK, Jansen and maybe Sissoko and Victor. Thta's major, and Levy from a football perspective could quite easily think...Tobys decent, so is Danny and did you see some of Dembele performances last season BUT Levy knows Poch is the coach, and given his record has free reign to proceed.

From Levy's side he is thinking of money, the stadium, balancing a monumental infrastructure project with an emerging team.

I 400% think the deal was.....that Poch could have 400% of any sales we made and Levy would commit eg £20m towards keeping our best players via improved contracts. Out going sales could easily total £150-£200m, quite a war chest.

Now, selling (and buying) players is not like dumping your shares ie a press of a button. It's more like buying and selling houses ie plenty of pr.icks involved. Over valuing, low balling and a bunch of clamish agents.

On paper the plan looks good, and both men were signed up to it.

Now the only time this falls down is if the honesty and trust the two men have for each other has been breached. If Poch can see everything that has gone on and is good with it, then there is nothing to see here. He may agree with Levy when players we want are overvalued, he may want Dembele to go to Inter, Dembele says no, what can he do. The unwanted are all sitting in the shop window but no-one comes in and the phone don't ring. Deals are harder to do because of this crazy market.

If it was like shares, we'd of sold out like fantasy football and known the price of all our targets and life would be easy. It's anything but that. But some fans think otherwise. I have said before it was not a choice to sign no-one, and i believe if the plan had been executed we would be in better shape now. Not that we haven't got a great set of players, just that Poch obviously meant something at the end of last season and another groundhog day season really could harm the belief, drive and momentum and not just the players but the manager himself, even if it's neither his or Levy's fault.

Hopefully January will be a window more suited and with more oppurtunities for us.COYS

I like all of this.

It’s funny that in most readings of the situation in the summer the narrative is ‘Levy let Poch down’ but as you say, the outgoings are difficult, and I actually think if Poch was to look at himself, he’d realise he may have contributed to the difficulties ever so slightly. He is peerless for me, what he achieved at our club is amazing, but he tipped our hand to the market, made it obvious we had players we wanted to move out, and said it publicly. (Not I’m so many words but there were a few leaks saying this is what he meant).

So I think if Levy was writing his own book, his reading may be that Poch said too much publicly, and it made it harder to shift players along. Of course he isn’t going to go to war with Poch about it, because he’s still a great manager for us, but if Poch was still frustrated or held anything against Levy (I don’t think that he does) then Levy could quite fairly say he was frustrated with Poch about the whole situation. Levy doesn’t say much publicly, and Poch said quite a lot publicly after the last game of last season. In terms of negotiations, in terms of tipping our hand, it wouldn’t have helped.

At the end of the day, it wouldn’t have been the biggest factor, and I hope Poch doesn’t still hold any frustration. Hopefully he realises the difficulties around what happened this summer, and hopefully Poch is still motivated to make those wholesale changes this coming summer instead, with a full season in the new stadium.

Back