• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Brave New World- thoughts

Actually you don't, because there's no such thing as an aura and people don't have them.

It's just something made up by the mentally unstable to tell to idiots.

Not sure about that, my mates sister was married to a pychopath and he certainly had an aura of menace.

That's because the vast oceans of humanity you see are dumb. People are easy to read - it's controlling them that's harder.

Would you mind explaining the process by which these auras are generated and detected? I'm fairly sure there's a Nobel Prize for Physics due to you if you can.
Auras as presented by the pseudoscientific nonsense peddlers has zero evidence for it as far as I can see.

What we do know though is that there's a lot of unconscious processing that goes on in our minds. For someone open, aware and emphatically switched on there's a lot of information that can be available through allowing some space for that unconscious information.

What we also know is that for experienced professionals there's a lot of unconscious processing that goes on about what they do. A gut feeling about a decision might contain a lot of unconscious pattern recognition that does have some value.

As Pochettino says he makes hundreds of decisions each day. There's simply no time (or way) to rationally figure out what the correct decision is every time. And once a decision is made there's often a greater need for confidence than second guessing.

Call all of this unconscious information a gut feeling, an aura, a hunch or whatever. Personally I prefer terms that won't be confused with claims to the supernatural, but there's nothing wrong with using the term aura as Pochettino uses it.

That's because the vast oceans of humanity you see are dumb. People are easy to read - it's controlling them that's harder.

Would you mind explaining the process by which these auras are generated and detected? I'm fairly sure there's a Nobel Prize for Physics due to you if you can.

You'll be suggesting the idea of astrological influence has no credible physical basis next.

I found the book very disjointed. Just as he is talking about something where you expect him to expound on it and arrive at a conclusion, he veers off onto something else. It reads as stream of consciousness at times. Nevertheless, for a Spurs fan it is an interesting read.

I found the book very disjointed. Just as he is talking about something where you expect him to expound on it and arrive at a conclusion, he veers off onto something else. It reads as river of whizz of consciousness at times. Nevertheless, for a Spurs fan it is an interesting read.
That's because Poch has a million better things to do each day... he would jot down a few things in a diary and Balague would cobble together the happenings of the games/days from outside and marry the two things up, writing in the first person.

Auras as presented by the pseudoscientific nonsense peddlers has zero evidence for it as far as I can see.

What we do know though is that there's a lot of unconscious processing that goes on in our minds. For someone open, aware and emphatically switched on there's a lot of information that can be available through allowing some space for that unconscious information.

What we also know is that for experienced professionals there's a lot of unconscious processing that goes on about what they do. A gut feeling about a decision might contain a lot of unconscious pattern recognition that does have some value.

As Pochettino says he makes hundreds of decisions each day. There's simply no time (or way) to rationally figure out what the correct decision is every time. And once a decision is made there's often a greater need for confidence than second guessing.

Call all of this unconscious information a gut feeling, an aura, a hunch or whatever. Personally I prefer terms that won't be confused with claims to the supernatural, but there's nothing wrong with using the term aura as Pochettino uses it.
If it's down to choice of language then it appears to be poor use of it (second language allowing).

I'm surprised a person as intelligent as he seems to be is not more careful about using language that makes him sound like a crackpot. It only takes a sentence or two to describe it in terms that you or I would understand clearly as judging someone by their actions/words/body language/etc.

If it's down to choice of language then it appears to be poor use of it (second language allowing).

I'm surprised a person as intelligent as he seems to be is not more careful about using language that makes him sound like a crackpot. It only takes a sentence or two to describe it in terms that you or I would understand clearly as judging someone by their actions/words/body language/etc.
Sound like a crackpot to whom?
People like you?
Or people who matter?

I've read 20 or so pages so far. Up until now the highlights have been Bielsa wanting to check Poch's legs while he's asleep as a 10 year old and Poch going on about how a central defender shouldn't be deemed good because he doesn't commit any fouls (ref Toby).

I don't know what I expected, but the book is a snore. There are a few interesting snippets here and there, but overall it's very mundane stuff. I just read a little passage where Poch criticised the Barkley goal where he celebrated before he rolled the ball into the net - maybe that's why we didn't sign him, he didn't show enough respect etc. :p

reading some parts of this book in hindsight looking back on last season has me jumping to certain conclusions at to what is going on this season

If I were a player at the club I would certainly be nervous about what I choose to eat in the canteen.

So much more is going on behind the scenes and in the mind of the manager, wonder if he is thinking similar things this season as to last and whether all the players are training hard enough.

reading some parts of this book in hindsight looking back on last season has me jumping to certain conclusions at to what is going on this season

If I were a player at the club I would certainly be nervous about what I choose to eat in the canteen.

So much more is going on behind the scenes and in the mind of the manager, wonder if he is thinking similar things this season as to last and whether all the players are training hard enough.
Agreed. Especially lasagne.

Mmm lasagne. Which reminds me, Jenas was on TV the other night talking about when we beat Wet Spam with a last minute Paul Stalteri goal (he was on too).
Jenas said Spurs REAAAAALLY rubbed it in, cranking up the music and singing and dancing as much as possible... because Wet Spam had done the same after they beat us in lasagne-gate. clams.

Back