• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Brave New World- thoughts

superfaisty

Nico Claesen
I, like many of you, git this as a chrimbo present, and though I’m halfway through it I’m really enjoying it and feel it’s helping me with understand a bit more of Poch and what goes on behind the scenes.

Was just wondering what other people had taken from the book and if it had helped understand some of Poch decisions?

If ever a book needed a translator or copy editor. Balague's use of English is a mess. Weird outdated slang all through it. Doesn't exactly suit Poch's voice.

If ever a book needed a translator or copy editor. Balague's use of English is a mess. Weird outdated slang all through it. Doesn't exactly suit Poch's voice.

A copy-editor would've been good. On the flip side, you can clearly hear him speaking like that.

One of the the things I’ve learnt is that Poch is not the finished article he is always learning and evolving around his core footballing philosophy.

Interesting what he said about his time in Southampton, how the team there totally soaked up his philosophy because they were younger and more open whereas his start at spurs was harder because his physical style of play- physical in the sense of the team needing to be very very fit- didn’t necessarily work with some of the squad he inherited.

In fact he openly says his style will not work wonders for everyone, which I find refreshingly honest.

I also found it interesting that he says he can decide about a player very quickly, and talks about his intuition and being able to read auras, not something that can be learnt or taught.

Given his preferred style and what he asks of his players I do wonder if he actually would work at a united or a real where you have superstar footballers.

He clearly says he’ll never work at Barca because espanyol were his team ehich speaks volumes to his loyalty which I think bodes well for us at spurs. I can see him being our manager for a long time whether we are successful or not.

I also find his relationship with levy very interesting.

So many things to draw out where do you start?!

, and talks about his intuition and being able to read auras, not something that can be learnt or taught.
Interesting one for the "Poch picks him so he must be good" crowd.

This why I'm not going to read the book. Currently I rate, like and respect Poch a lot, but when you get to know that much more about someone they're invariably a let down.

Last edited:
Interesting what he said about his time in Southampton, how the team there totally soaked up his philosophy because they were younger and more open whereas his start at spurs was harder because his physical style of play- physical in the sense of the team needing to be very very fit- didn’t necessarily work with some of the squad he inherited.

Hopefully he remembers that if Real or ManU come knocking. He won't be able to impose his philosophy on teams that are basically a collection of overpriced and overpaid stars.

This why I'm not going to read the book. Currently I rate, like and respect Poch a lot, but when you get to know that much more about someone they're invariably a let down.

Teddy Sheringham springs to mind immediately.

I judge peoples aura by asking one question "could I enjoy their company over a pint?"

If the answer is yes, they are alright in my book (no pun intended).

I think I'd have a should have jars with poch

This why I'm not going to read the book. Currently I rate, like and respect Poch a lot, by when you get to know that much more about someone they're inevitably a let down.

I haven't read it yet (I'm about to start), but I'm a bit worried (as an atheist) about some of the mentions of divine guidance stemming from his Catholicism. That set off the Eileen Drury alarm bells for me.

Hopefully he remembers that if Real or ManU come knocking. He won't be able to impose his philosophy on teams that are basically a collection of overpriced and overpaid stars.

Perhaps him and Simeone have the same schooling/philosophy.

Currently he is a manager that I rate above poch.

I haven't read it yet (I'm about to start), but I'm a bit worried (as an atheist) about some of the mentions of divine guidance stemming from his Catholicism. That set off the Eileen Drury alarm bells for me.

What does that have anything to do with anything? Your choice about atheist is no more alarming to people of faith. At the end of the day anyone's religion/atheist beliefs should be like dinner in pjs ... keep it indoors.

If faith builds good character and he "relies" on it more power to him. It's what makes him the man that he is today.

And if atheism builds a better character in you then great.

What does that have anything to do with anything? Your choice about atheist is no more alarming to people of faith. At the end of the day anyone's religion/atheist beliefs should be like dinner in pjs ... keep it indoors.

If faith builds good character and he "relies" on it more power to him. It's what makes him the man that he is today.

I meant more the mumbo jumbo about seeing auras around people. That's basically claiming to be a clairvoyant

I meant more the mumbo jumbo about seeing auras around people. That's basically claiming to be a clairvoyant
I have not read the book so may be incorrect, but I suspect it is more aligned with "feeling" and "intuition", in the same way you would have those in something like a Myers Briggs analysis

It is an eye opener both good and bad but these are the closest we the ordinary fans will get to understanding what goes on behind closed doors rather than speculating- of course it is all edited so you only see what you want people to read but I would recommend people read it then judge Poch and the team and how it’s working.

The whole process around picking the team is more than just poch likes him, there’s so much that goes around that in terms of players daily fitness to who they slept the night before to whether there is anything on his mind to whether the player is in the right mind. Even using an example of a player eating lasagne for breakfast as helping him decide whether they were mentally right for selection in one game.

He talks a lot about professionalism in every aspect on the field and off it and if your not professional enough even when training you won’t make it on to the pitch- he mentions nkoudou as some one who needed to be more prefessional in training.

Great paragraph in the book:
What’s in these young players minds? What makes them so desperate? You have to try to understand them., although that’s often rather laborious. 5 mins before they warm up when their boots are on and their shin pads n kits are in place practically all of them take another look at their mobiles. Is it that important to know if you have a new message right at that time? It doesn’t make sense. Their heads should be focused on training improving putting in effort and enjoying what they’re about to experience. But how can you prevent them checking their phones if they all do it? When they get back they do it again. Banning it would create conflict. My job is to make them see that they should approach training and the profession differently.

I judge peoples aura by asking one question "could I enjoy their company over a pint?"
Actually you don't, because there's no such thing as an aura and people don't have them.

It's just something made up by the mentally unstable to tell to idiots.

Doesn't matter - the opinions of people of faith are worthless because they're fudging idiots.

They can't logic, so their opinions have no value.

Back