• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Blatter wants no more pens

Essex Yid

Bobby Zamora
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18205513

Thoughts? Can't see any alternative to be honest, other than extra time just going on and on until someone eventually scores.

I've realized, in all my life I've never seen success from a shootout. The Spurs ones I remember are United C Cup final, PSV UEFA Cup and Liverpool C Cup quarter final, all lost. England have of course lost numerous ones, and the Bayern one was toss as well. fudge the pens.

Had Bayern won on penalties would Blatter be saying the same thing?

Other than replay after replay there is no alternative unless you go for the old US way of starting at a mark around the 25-30yd and going one on one against the keeper.

Blatter is a ****. The guy is so far removed from the real world of football it's insane.

This is probably one of the best things bent Blatter has come up with. Let's see whatc omes of it but penalties is a horrible way to decide a match. Even in the CL final, both teams seems to 'accept' that it was going to penalties so even towards the end of extra time no teams were looking to lose the game by attacking. So it would fix that. Bring back the golden goal.

extra extra time would really be fun to watch.

can imagine dramatic epic matches where the game drags on and on and on and on... like tennis grand slams!

The other option would be more extra time. Maybe have both teams remove a player every ten minutes.

I've seen a suggestion of taking corners instead of penalties. Having say 5 players from each team involved so making it a test of defending and attacking. Might go on for a while.

Dribble from the half way line for me. Batter is a coont though. He's had the Germans crying at him probably as its the first fudging time they've lost a shoot out!!

I agree, much better then the penaltys to decide the match.

In my memory the opposite happened. Teams were so scared of conceding the Golden Goal they sat back and did not attack and waited for pens. This is why they took the Golden goal away.

I hate pens, would rather have a run from the halfway line, a bit like Hockey. At least that takes a bit more skill.

In my memory the opposite happened. Teams were so scared of conceding the Golden Goal they sat back and did not attack and waited for pens. This is why they took the Golden goal away.

I hate pens, would rather have a run from the halfway line, a bit like Hockey. At least that takes a bit more skill.

Agreed. Teams were more worried about being caught on the counter. I'm convinced more games went to pens when it was golden goal compared to extra time.

But, that's the thing. You don't have pens, just full on football until a goal is scored. You could sit back and get blasted by your own fans for not going for it or go for it and hope to win.

After extra time, if the score is still level, the team with the most shots on target wins (if still tied, then shots off target, then corners etc.). Reward the attacking team, not the one that parks the bus (and waits for penalties).

Number the players 1-10 (leave keeper on) and draw lots every 5 minutes of extra time and remove that numbered player from each side (or just the manager has to select which player to remove but the random style means it can't just be mega-defensive). Play 10 minute sessions on ET, play a minimum of 2 sessions and then it is 'silver' goal for any session after that.

Or go Multiball pinball style!!

After extra time, if the score is still level, the team with the most shots on target wins (if still tied, then shots off target, then corners etc.). Reward the attacking team, not the one that parks the bus (and waits for penalties).

Is a half-hit dribble shot straight at the keeper (so on target) worth more than a screamer that comes off the post with the keeper beaten (so is off target)? Just always wondered about the usefulness of the on/off target stat.

Back